• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

The sales via a third party is actually the smartest move he made. Using an established dealer as an escrow agent to handle the money and books is the only way I'd even consider buying a valuable book from a complete unknown. As far as I can tell, we have no rules against that.

:roflmao: Who he's partners with is the precise reason I have no interest in any of his books.

The sales via a third party is actually the smartest move he made. Using an established dealer as an escrow agent to handle the money and books is the only way I'd even consider buying a valuable book from a complete unknown. As far as I can tell, we have no rules against that.

:roflmao: Who he's partners with is the precise reason I have no interest in any of his books.

That is certainly your perogative. I've never dealt with his partner, but I understand that there is some history there...

The point I was trying to make is that, in general, use of a dealer as an intermediary is much safer than dealing directly with someone who has no track record or Board reputation (e.g. the AlleyBat fiasco).

Anyhow, this may be moot since it appears that the seller has successfully completed a half-dozen or so transactions to the satisfaction of the Board Members involved.

Man... some great books being offered as of late. :frustrated:

Don't give in to the temptation to go off course. :baiting:

Wisdom. :whistle:

I think some of the grading could be tightened up - I'm seeing a lot of tanning going unaccounted for . . . ;)

Man... some great books being offered as of late. :frustrated:

Don't give in to the temptation to go off course. :baiting:

Wisdom. :whistle:

I think some of the grading could be tightened up - I'm seeing a lot of tanning going unaccounted for . . . ;)

Is tanning code for trimming?

(shrug)

(Just read Dale's thread in General...)

You might even try being a part of the boards in some way that doesn't involve just hawking your wares. You know, like the rest of us. Some of us sell and still find time to participate in non-selling discussions. Many of us even read the guidelines before making our first sales thread.

Everyone can give it a rest. I understand now not to have multiple threads. It WON'T be done anymore. I might point out that I do see a couple of other multiple threads. Can someone please point out how to effectively sell 2 entirely different comic eras on the boards and still let buyers who are looking for that material know easily what you have.

You might even try being a part of the boards in some way that doesn't involve just hawking your wares. You know, like the rest of us. Some of us sell and still find time to participate in non-selling discussions. Many of us even read the guidelines before making our first sales thread.

I for one refuse to buy something from someone who contributes nothing else to the boards. This is not ebay. It is not Craig's List. It is not Silver Age Comics. If you are going to do nothing but sell here, then you should start paying us all a commission.

Hopefully, you will become a viable contributing useful member of the boards.

FYI....4th superman cover is a description of the issue itself, it does not mean I am selling just the cover or a complete copy. It is simply a description that you would find on a CGC label. This reminds me of a police type interrogation that you see in the movies.

Every word, step or action you take is analyzed over and over....Maybe its just me but it seems rather tedious.

Everyone can give it a rest. I understand now not to have multiple threads. It WON'T be done anymore. I might point out that I do see a couple of other multiple threads. Can someone please point out how to effectively sell 2 entirely different comic eras on the boards and still let buyers who are looking for that material know easily what you have.

Well, if you insist on listing different genres separately, you can start a thread, and end it before starting another. Or you could try the mixed age forum and list everything together.

FYI....4th superman cover is a description of the issue itself, it does not mean I am selling just the cover or a complete copy. It is simply a description that you would find on a CGC label. This reminds me of a police type interrogation that you see in the movies.

Every word, step or action you take is analyzed over and over....Maybe its just me but it seems rather tedious.

If it's so tedious, then don't bother selling here. That being said, I'm not intending for you to be run off with that comment. My point is, there are specific rules and guidelines that are heavily policed by the members because the CGC mods don't want to (and shouldn't have to) police this area heavily. This is a privilege and so it is incumbent upon the members to regulate and police it on their own so that the guidelines are followed. When someone comes on and their only contribution is to sell, it rubs some people the wrong way. I'm less concerned about that and more concerned with the rules and the guidelines being followed properly. When it's pointed out (and I make mistakes in this vein as well occasionally) the best thing to do isn't take it as some sort of persecution, but rather as a learning tool if you intend to sell here in the future.

When I see the term "original owner" used (without qualification) in a sale description, I take it to mean that the seller purchased the subject book off the rack. Is it acceptable to describe something as "original owner" (without qualification) when the book was either purchased directly from the original owner (which makes the seller its second owner) or purchased from the dealer who purchased it from the original owner (which makes the seller its third owner)? At what point does the "original owner" characterization (which implies first-hand knowledge of everything that's been done to/with the book to date) become inaccurate and/or misleading?

Just askin' (shrug)

I had written something the other day and erased it because I figured you were getting too many posts. But I'll try and say it again. I'm sure you have a lot to contribute and it would be nice to have you join in, you might enjoy it and we will most probably learn from each other:) . However, if you chose not to, you have to take into consideration that this is a community and not just a sales venue.

When someone shows up and posts things that seem to be in a rush, it gets people's hackles up, we do try and look out for each other.

As for the different threads, for most of us, we are here to stay and therefore not in such a rush, so finishing one thread and starting another is not such a big deal. It's really not so much a selling venue as a collector's board, so selling is not the primary goal for most of us.

With that said, for those who have been asking, I did get the WW6, it looks very nice, was packed well...and I am sending it off today to have it graded (express). Tom and Gus have guaranteed that there is no restoration and I am going to just have it graded quickly so we can make sure of that.

I will post the results as soon as I get them.

...and before you all start laughing, YES, this is the first time I've sent in a book all by myself...although I have given them in ...in person at shows;)

When I see the term "original owner" used (without qualification) in a sale description, I take it to mean that the seller purchased the subject book off the rack. Is it acceptable to describe something as "original owner" (without qualification) when the book was either purchased directly from the original owner (which makes the seller its second owner) or purchased from the dealer who purchased it from the original owner (which makes the seller its third owner)? At what point does the "original owner" characterization (which implies first-hand knowledge of everything that's been done to/with the book to date) become inaccurate and/or misleading?

Just askin' (shrug)

This is purely my opinion, but it ain't OO if the one selling it didn't buy it off the stands. If you bought it from the OO or another couple steps down the line, definitionally, it is not OO.

Usually these are the accepted terms:

Original Owner (OO) Book - a comic you purchased from the shelf.

Bought from OO/From an OO Collection - a comic you purchased/consigned/stole/whatever from the original owner and are reselling.