• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

As much as I appreciate your concerns, we all have the right to do what we feel is right. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but feel there are several members who come to this site in search of a good deal and shouldn't be mislead.

By "mislead" (it's "misled", btw) I'm assuming you mean "try to sell books here and have the buyer flake on them"? Because, yeah, that's kinda the purpose of the probation list - to warn members about the people who do this sort of thing (thumbs u

ahh, no...maybe trying to over charge for books. Trying to re-sell a book at 40% profit in less than 2 months is nutz. Anyway, I'm here to help the little guy and won't let you big bad wolves try to take advantage.

Are you in high-school or college or maybe work for the goverment?

You seem to have no real world experience at making a living.

it's okay to make a profit, but to gouge your fellow board member is taking it to the extreme. btw, making a living by selling comic books on this site sounds very risky to me. I thought this was a hobbyist community.

How did he gouge anyone? He bought low and sold high. Sales 101 right there.

Are you jealous or what? You keep harping about "he sold a book for more then he paid for it". Please explain what is wrong with that?

A lot of the posters here are comic dealers that use this site, and others, as a means to supplement thier income by selling books to people all over the world instead of being limited to the walk in traffic at their brick and mortar store. When you post an :takeit: and then disappear and never follow through on the deal, you have affected that person ability to make money. Of the two, it is you who the little man should be protected from.

I see it's pointless, but anyway this is NOT Ebay, this is a HOBBY message board. Besides, the comic books were sold, so no worries.

I'm really trying to understand where you're coming from, but I just don't get it. You're mad that Adam made a profit on that book? Is that it? Did you ever bother to wonder how many books he sold for a loss? Not that EITHER of those things is any of your business, but you seemed so preoccupied by how much money Adam makes at his job. (And yes, comics are Adams job...)

I have seen several books being purchased and then placed on this board at a substantial increase. It just happen to be his book that I pointed out. I also mentioned Roy's book as well.

wow, I didn't know this entire issue with Filter created this hot topic but I am surprised BucOne even admitted his true intention about his comments about the ASM 129 sale.

Here is my comment to Adams via PM minutes after BucOne posted about that book back on 11/25

"not my business but I think you have a stalker. It doesn't take a genius because the cert is the same on your book and the one he linked from CL so his "discovery" is more than "hey, look at the pic, it is the same book"

I think he is trying to sabotage your sale by showing others you paid $1600 and now try to sell yours for $2k plus.

I am well aware of the spat between you 2 from that Batman thread but to me,this is a cheap shot of trying to undermining another person's sale.

just my 2 cents"

BucOne, I even read Roy's comment on the other sale thread when he tried to stick up for you but damn man, you have that "I am against the world" kind of mentality.

What is wrong with making a profit if you can? I bet that X-men1 9.2 that you tried to sell and advertised for a while would have net you 5 figure profit.

We have exchanged PM when I first joined (although I have no idea why), but it was civil but for the most part, I see that many here don't like you for good reasons but you are set to not even care to fix anything...It is a damn shame really.

For my part, I have not bought a book from Filter. I have bid on a few books on ebay and didn't win any yet so I have nothing to gain here. The price of the ASM 129 is irrelevant, if he priced it too high, then he will have to lower it. Hell there are dozen of books every week on this site that I can see from doing a little research that the books were bought just weeks/months ago for much less....and when I see that, I won't make an offer or wait for the price to be discounted...that is all.

My friend, you are exactly right. I should keep my mouth shut instead of trying to make comments about how or what is going on here. Thought I was helping, but turns out I just created an angry lynch mob.

Overall, I would like to apologize for not carrying out my obligations and for criticizing others auctions.

Perhaps you should change your name again :baiting:

Or just ban yourself and start over at another comic book chatboard..... :wishluck:

Overall, I would like to apologize for not carrying out my obligations and for criticizing others auctions.

Perhaps you should change your name again :baiting:

Or just ban yourself and start over at another comic book chatboard..... :wishluck:

Yeah...for some reason it doesn't feel like a sincere apology. Especially considering what he posted right above that. 2c

Glad to hear it. I really, really think you owe Adam an apology, but let your conscience be your guide.

I agree, Adam I'm sorry for overreacting and intruding on your selling thread. It was very rude and unprofessional of me.

Glad to hear it. I really, really think you owe Adam an apology, but let your conscience be your guide.

I agree, Adam I'm sorry for overreacting and intruding on your selling thread. It was very rude and unprofessional of me.

:applause:

My friend, you are exactly right. I should keep my mouth shut instead of trying to make comments about how or what is going on here. Thought I was helping, but turns out I just created an angry lynch mob.

I still dont see what is going on here? Comics are being bought and sold on a comic message board. What were you trying to help with?

BucOne,

we are all human...it is easy to post off the cuff or at a first knee jerk reaction. I often typed, paused for a few seconds before I click "submit" and decided not to post. For every post I made here, I probably deleted or not submitted just as many. Mostly because I know how I am. It is easy to shoot out a smart post to a comment or a reply I felt is "idiotic" at the time by another poster or simply something I disagreed with... After a few seconds, cooler head prevailed...but that is just me.

I have commented many times via PM to other board members about the "crazy" prices that some sellers asked so you and I and just about everyone here have at least once or more think the asking price is out of wack but so be it. I only have been on this board actively for 2 months (I lurked for about 7 months) and I rarely see a book that was sold here that is not inline if cheaper than GPA so I do believe like anything else...if you price it right, there is always a buyer. If you can't sell in 48 hours then there are 2 reasons...the book is overpriced or the book is not wanted and the seller will reduce or take it off the market. The other reason is the economy but at the right price, some people will find some ways to get the book if it is a key book.

Now, have you sold that X-men 1 9.2 yet? if not, let me know and I will send you an offer ;) and don't shoot me if I say your asking price is WACKO

BucOne,

we are all human...it is easy to post off the cuff or at a first knee jerk reaction. I often typed, paused for a few seconds before I click "submit" and decided not to post. For every post I made here, I probably deleted or not submitted just as many. Mostly because I know how I am. It is easy to shoot out a smart post to a comment or a reply I felt is "idiotic" at the time by another poster or simply something I disagreed with... After a few seconds, cooler head prevailed...but that is just me.

I have commented many times via PM to other board members about the "crazy" prices that some sellers asked so you and I and just about everyone here have at least once or more think the asking price is out of wack but so be it. I only have been on this board actively for 2 months (I lurked for about 7 months) and I rarely see a book that was sold here that is not inline if cheaper than GPA so I do believe like anything else...if you price it right, there is always a buyer. If you can't sell in 48 hours then there are 2 reasons...the book is overpriced or the book is not wanted and the seller will reduce or take it off the market. The other reason is the economy but at the right price, some people will find some ways to get the book if it is a key book.

Now, have you sold that X-men 1 9.2 yet? if not, let me know and I will send you an offer ;) and don't shoot me if I say your asking price is WACKO

very true

Pardon the interuption. Just curious what fair market value is for new comics from 2001-2 to 11/2009 timeframe in VF/NM range or better (about 8-9 long boxes)? Probably 70% Marvel 25% DC and 5% Indy. All the core titles like Spider-Man, Batman, Daredevil, X-Men, Superman, Ironman, JSA, JLA, Avengers etc... Thinking about changing to just TPBs for my reading pleasure and to cut down on storage. Most read once and stored away in long box. Not bagged or boarded. Are they just 5-10 cent books? Would it be best to sell at flea market? Maybe set up at local convention? Consign to respected member or the boards that lives in NYC/NJ area and sell here? Burn and roast mashmellows over? Truth is I am too lazy to break up into a 1,000 lots and make a hundred runs to the post office. Thanks in advance. :)

Just my 2 ¢ but I am not an expert. I purchase comics new read the arc and then sell them to purchase the trade. Morrison's Batman can get more than a dollar an issue as well as Dini's issues on Detective.

Don't really know anything about Marvel issues though but have noticed that buyers are looking for cheap reads.

BTW - If you have Harley Quinns or Batman Adventures vol 2, PM me. :blush:

The best way to find out is to call some local comic shops and ask them. Now don't be surprised if they offer you very little if anything at all. The LCS that I go to has a nice selection of back issues and they are always looking for more books, but they need to be before 1980. Now that's not to say they wouldn't make you a real low offer (I'm thinking about $30.00 a box).

Flea market may work but sounds like a pain. Getting up before the sun, standing outside all morning and then having who know how many people going through your books. IMO it seems like a lot of work that may not pan out.

How about a classified ad? Some people still read the newspaper and most have their classifieds online for dirt cheap prices. When all else fails there is Craig's list. I bet if you priced the boxes right you would get a response.

Good Luck.

Appreciate the feedback. :foryou:

I know people will pay more for certain key issues that they need, but if I want to get rid of in bulk I am curious what % of cover or what price per issue is fair market value.

Unfortunately, I don't have any Harley Quinns or Batman Adventures. :sorry:

Sorry I did not realize you were looking for one-shot deals. I would try Craigslist as well but use a new email address as you will get spammed. I have purchased for several listing on craigslist this year and only sold one lot of comics but had to ship it. It's free so you really have nothing to lose. Set up a meeting place for the buyer to pick up the goods.