• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

Can people not check GPA on their own? Why on Earth would someone take some else's word (that they don't know) on the price of a comic book?

I always check GPA as a reference. It works both ways. Just because the last copy of issue X sold for $17, doesn't mean that's what the book is worth anymore than if it sold $1,000.

(shrug)

That's not my point, though - I'm merely alluding to the fact that it would be nice if sellers on this board didn't try pulling all of the that makes ebay suck for buying comic books.

If you (meaning "random seller", not you) want to price your books higher than GPA, that's your prerogative - but is it too much to ask that you're upfront about it and don't try to justify the price by posting misleading GPA info?

Do you mean like this:

Uncanny X-Men 212 CGC 9.8 White pages. This is a gorgeous copy of this book. A classic cover of the Copper Age if there ever was one. Yes, I know the last few sales are lower, but I don't care. $150.

Exactly (thumbs u

As a rule, I post all the GPA good or bad...or I don't post it at all. I had a book for sale where I was asking more than the GPA as it was a near perfect speciman for that particular issue, and I think someboday actually commended me for posting the GPA... :insane:

If a seller states that payment is required in Euros, I move on. Free choice is a beautiful thing. :cloud9:

However, I don't believe "the forum" has any right or obligation to prohibit the seller from only accepting payment in Euros. Each seller sets their own terms and conditions, and each buyer can choose to accept them, or not. (shrug)

I'm not griping at your buying methods here, but if you pay through Paypal in Euros, as long the price is right given the exchange rate, it doesn't really affect you. Paypal's conversion rate is normally 0.05% out in their favour, but this doesn't really put a big heap on what you'd pay.

I pay in ££ and $$ all the time from the same account. If you've got the conversion rates right and you're happy with the price then it's all good (thumbs u

If a seller states that payment is required in Euros, I move on. Free choice is a beautiful thing. :cloud9:

However, I don't believe "the forum" has any right or obligation to prohibit the seller from only accepting payment in Euros. Each seller sets their own terms and conditions, and each buyer can choose to accept them, or not. (shrug)

I'm not griping at your buying methods here, but if you pay through Paypal in Euros, as long the price is right given the exchange rate, it doesn't really affect you. Paypal's conversion rate is normally 0.05% out in their favour, but this doesn't really put a big heap on what you'd pay.

I pay in ££ and $$ all the time from the same account. If you've got the conversion rates right and you're happy with the price then it's all good (thumbs u

Oops, I see I used a bad example to make my point - please replace "Euros" in my hypothetical above with "Wooden Nickles", or even "round, flat, shiny rocks". Nothing wrong with ££, or Euros!

Personally, doesn't matter to me...I'd buy in Euros OR Wooden Nickles, and would even volunter to pay via Personal Payment! lol

Oops, I see I used a bad example to make my point - please replace "Euros" in my hypothetical above with "Wooden Nickles", or even "round, flat, shiny rocks". Nothing wrong with ££, or Euros!

Personally, doesn't matter to me...I'd buy in Euros OR Wooden Nickles, and would even volunter to pay via Personal Payment! lol

I get where you're coming from. I even accept Wooden Nickels. I'll PM you when I run my next sales thread (thumbs u

If a seller states that payment is required in Wooden Nickles, I move on.
hm If a seller states that payment is required in Wooden Nickles, I gets ta carvin'.

What would happen if I started posting :takeit: 's all over the place and then refused the transaction on the basis of terms brought up after the fact in PM's? It wouldn't be long before I was put on the Probation List :grin:
Might need to go ahead and add you for conspiracy right now :baiting:

I had my wife send a personal payment to someone for me. She was charged 1 1/2% because her bank account (which was where the funds were coming from)was attached to paypal.

That makes no sense - PP personal payments don't have fees if they're coming from either a paypal balance or the bank account that's connected to your paypal account.

Even regular paypal payments don't have a 1.5% fee - the minimum is 1.9% (and that's for payments over 100k, for payments below 3k, the fee is 2.9% + $0.30).

Are you sure this isn't a currency conversion fee?

I had my wife send a personal payment to someone for me. She was charged 1 1/2% because her bank account (which was where the funds were coming from)was attached to paypal.

That makes no sense - PP personal payments don't have fees if they're coming from either a paypal balance or the bank account that's connected to your paypal account.

Even regular paypal payments don't have a 1.5% fee - the minimum is 1.9% (and that's for payments over 100k, for payments below 3k, the fee is 2.9% + $0.30).

I have had to pay fees 3 different times when using the personal tab paying from my bank account. I could understand if I was using a credit card, but this was from my account that I always use for paypal. It seemed to happen when I used it to pay a person that I had already paid previously with the Personal tab, but not always.

Totally different situation. To be honest, I think this sort of scenario is exactly what the personal option was made for.

Agreed, it's the standard marketplace transaction of a seller taking payment for a book or other collectible, just like eBay or a dealer website.

Yours is more a personal service, so I wouldn't say asking for 3% to cover Paypal would be out of line. But as you said, asking for 3% on a $500 book sale would be, as that's a business transaction.

I'm positive!

I'm positive!
Perhaps they are different types of accounts - aren't there two types? hm

I'm positive!

Yeah, there are still three different kinds of accounts (Personal, Premier & Business) - but the fees are the same for all of them:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

I'm positive!

I'll back you up there Mike. Everytime I pay using Personal, I get charged 1% of the total I'm sending, regardless of where the source funding is.

Hey Adonis :hi:

Even domestic payments I make get hit with the charge. It doesn't bother me, if it's a seller I know and trust, I'll gladly pick up the 1% fee (thumbs u

I'm positive!

Yeah, there are still three different kinds of accounts (Personal, Premier & Business) - but the fees are the same for all of them:

There's the answer - They used to be different fee structures.

I'm positive!

Comicdonna says his wife sent a personal PP payment to someone and was charged the fee. When they introduced the option to send personal PP payments, they also introduced the equalized fee structure that I linked to above.

I'm positive!

Comicdonna says his wife sent a personal PP payment to someone and was charged the fee. When they introduced the option to send personal PP payments, they also introduced the equalized fee structure that I linked to above.

I am wondering if her debit card from the bank account was attached to paypal as well.