• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

I had my wife send a personal payment to someone for me. She was charged 1 1/2% because her bank account (which was where the funds were coming from)was attached to paypal.

That makes no sense - PP personal payments don't have fees if they're coming from either a paypal balance or the bank account that's connected to your paypal account.

Even regular paypal payments don't have a 1.5% fee - the minimum is 1.9% (and that's for payments over 100k, for payments below 3k, the fee is 2.9% + $0.30).

Are you sure this isn't a currency conversion fee?

I'm positive!

I'll back you up there Mike. Everytime I pay using Personal, I get charged 1% of the total I'm sending, regardless of where the source funding is.

Same for me.

I had my wife send a personal payment to someone for me. She was charged 1 1/2% because her bank account (which was where the funds were coming from)was attached to paypal.

That makes no sense - PP personal payments don't have fees if they're coming from either a paypal balance or the bank account that's connected to your paypal account.

Even regular paypal payments don't have a 1.5% fee - the minimum is 1.9% (and that's for payments over 100k, for payments below 3k, the fee is 2.9% + $0.30).

I'm positive!
Perhaps they are different types of accounts - aren't there two types? hm

Yeah, there are still three different kinds of accounts (Personal, Premier & Business) - but the fees are the same for all of them:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

There's the answer - They used to be different fee structures.

Comicdonna says his wife sent a personal PP payment to someone and was charged the fee. When they introduced the option to send personal PP payments, they also introduced the equalized fee structure that I linked to above.

Perhaps, then we're back to square 1. Are you sure about the bold part, or are you just guessing? hm

I'm positive!

I'll back you up there Mike. Everytime I pay using Personal, I get charged 1% of the total I'm sending, regardless of where the source funding is.

Same for me.

Someone is doing something wrong then . . . :grin:

I'm positive!
Perhaps they are different types of accounts - aren't there two types? hm

Yeah, there are still three different kinds of accounts (Personal, Premier & Business) - but the fees are the same for all of them:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

There's the answer - They used to be different fee structures.

Comicdonna says his wife sent a personal PP payment to someone and was charged the fee. When they introduced the option to send personal PP payments, they also introduced the equalized fee structure that I linked to above.

Perhaps, then we're back to square 1. Are you sure about the bold part, or are you just guessing? hm

I'm sure.

I'm positive!

Same for me.

Paypal rules (and fees) for Europe aren't the same as they are for the US (thumbs u

I'm positive!

Same for me.

Paypal rules (and fees) for Europe aren't the same as they are for the US (thumbs u

Which is what I assumed - thanks for providing a useful reply (thumbs u

New topic: Seems like a lot of sellers are posting krappy photos these days, claiming not to have scanners . . . hm

D, I plead guilty on this one for my reader lot of Adams Batman and Tec issues. But... for books that typically sell for solid guide and I was selling for under guide, I didn't think it was much of an issue (plus my scanner's on the fritz and my wife had the good camera with her when I was selling 'em).

New topic: Seems like a lot of sellers are posting krappy photos these days, claiming not to have scanners . . . hm

D, I plead guilty on this one for my reader lot of Adams Batman and Tec issues. But... for books that typically sell for solid guide and I was selling for under guide, I didn't think it was much of an issue (plus my scanner's on the fritz and my wife had the good camera with her when I was selling 'em).

Excuses...excuses... :makepoint:

:jokealert:

My old PC crapped out and my scanner won't work with the new one. However, I won't start a selling thread until I get a new scanner. :sumo:

Edited by Jeffro

you can use Personal as long as you dont mark it payment owed....then you get hit with the 1%

I mark payment owed every time and I never get a charge

PP takes out a small fee if you use Paypal Credit or e-check. If you are using personal and paying with it using a paypal balance you do not get hit with the small fee.

you can use Personal as long as you dont mark it payment owed....then you get hit with the 1%

PP takes out a small fee if you use Paypal Credit or e-check. If you are using personal and paying with it using a paypal balance you do not get hit with the small fee.

I do. 1% every time, regardless if it comes out of my PP balance or out of my bank account.

I do. 1% every time, regardless if it comes out of my PP balance or out of my bank account.

UK paypal account :baiting:

The 1% fee seems to have something to do with either frequency of use or amount sent as sometimes I get hit with it and sometimes I do not. I haven't been able to form a pattern other than if I do use it often the 1% seems to show it's head.