• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

What I don't like, is when pictures disappear and I see some really nice, honest people doing that...it gives no basis for comparison and no record. I would like to suggest that sellers leave all pictures up for at least 30 days.

I hate when the prices disappear :censored:

I agree with the pictures comment. The only time I remove pictures in my listings is to clean them up, but I only do that when the buyer has quoted the post and the pictures appear in the quote. I never remove them from Photobucket. Hell, I've got pictures up there from four years ago lol

However, if you're purchasing a big ticket book or are concerned with the seller's reputation, a good backup plan is to right click and save the scan of the book you're buying before they remove the picture. Then you've got a permanent copy to refer to.

There's nothing wrong with a friendly PM letting someone know there is a good chance their grading is pretty soft and won't be taken seriously by many boardies. I find a little honey attracts the flies more than vinegar :foryou:

I used to think that photos disappeared after they were sold because people deleted them from their photobucket right away so they didn't exceed their free account limit but I haven't been able to com close to hitting my limit so perhaps they are just clean freaks.

Or...they are trying to hide the picture before you get the product in hand (shrug)

Either way it shouldn't be a burden to ask that they keep them up for 30 days.

As for pricing disappearing that could be solve pretty well with a concerted community effort to keep a database of the information.

With a handful of people volunteering to contribute to information collection it would be easy to come up with a list of sellers who erase that info and our many eyes getting that info as books are put up.

The ones known not to erase the info can be easily collected from the threads later.

With respect to sales made via PM at lower prices we could respectfully ask the buyer and seller via PM and if not provided then just record the asking price and assume shipping was negotiated as free.

I think some people might not be "happy" with everyone knowing this info, and may even refuse or try to skew the data, but that's fine since nothing is 100% perfect but I think it is important to at least try to keep an accurate record here of what books market value is.

I always thought it was kinda a forum policy not to comment on overgrading and overly priced books in someone's FS thread.

You're not supposed to, and we have a few regular sellers that price way above GPA and people let them ride.

What? You mean that a Stan Lee signature doesn't automatically add $700 to the value of a book? I am shocked. Shocked, I tell ya.

I used to think that photos disappeared after they were sold because people deleted them from their photobucket right away so they didn't exceed their free account limit but I haven't been able to com close to hitting my limit so perhaps they are just clean freaks.

Or...they are trying to hide the picture before you get the product in hand (shrug)

As for pricing disappearing that could be solve pretty well with a concerted community effort to keep a database of the information.

With a handful of people volunteering to contribute to information collection it would be easy to come up with a list of sellers who erase that info and our many eyes getting that info as books are put up.

The ones known not to erase the info can be easily collected from the threads later.

With respect to sales made via PM at lower prices we could respectfully ask the buyer and seller via PM and if not provided then just record the asking price and assume shipping was negotiated as free.

I think some people might not be "happy" with everyone knowing this info, and may even refuse or try to skew the data, but that's fine since nothing is 100% perfect but I think it is important to at least try to keep an accurate record here of what books market value is.

The only snag could be with this however is that the price a book actually sells for might be different from the listed price depending on the agreement made between the buyer and seller.

But I concur--I do wish I could see the prices they were listed for at the very least.

I always thought it was kinda a forum policy not to comment on overgrading and overly priced books in someone's FS thread.

That's true. But it's sometimes hard to keep my mouth shut, when it seems so obvious that a grade or price is way off. Couldn't there be an allowance for asking if the seller meant VG instead of VF? And I mean asking it publicly, I know I can just send him or her a PM.

Speaking for myself, I would not mind an honest question about my grade or price if I listed some stuff for sale. If I felt I got it right I'd just say so. If I was convinced that I'd gotten it wrong I'd either make the appropriate change or remove the comic.

Now, all that's different from someone getting out of hand about it, yelling "SCAMMER!!!!!!!" in the dreaded ALL CAPS or whatever.

Unreasonable?

You can always PM the person and see how they respond and take if from there. Diplomacy works wonders.

(thumbs u

Just wanted to throw this in here. i know most of us aren't professional sellers, so my critique is in general. I don't expect the Boozad method for shipping to be used with raw books, but a little more than a soft taco shell should be considered. That's all. :hi:

I generally clean out my Photobucket pics up every few weeks. I just can't be bothered sorting through old pics in Photobucket.

I always save pics of books that I have bought and think it's a good practice.

Just wanted to throw this in here. i know most of us aren't professional sellers, so my critique is in general. I don't expect the Boozad method for shipping to be used with raw books, but a little more than a soft taco shell should be considered. That's all. :hi:

I spent a few dollars on custom cut corrugated cardboard backers and super stiff, paperboard envelopes and although it costs me about $2 a package extra for the supplies it makes shipping easy and fast. I got them from a local cardboard/box place and they even delivered them.

Just something to consider if you are going to do any volume.

(thumbs u

I spent a few dollars on custom cut corrugated cardboard backers and super stiff, paperboard envelopes and although it costs me about $2 a package extra for the supplies it makes shipping easy and fast. I got them from a local cardboard/box place and they even delivered them.

(thumbs u

Or buy in small bulk (25-50 boxes) from Uline or PSAUSA and you can purchase boxed for under $.50/each. Luckily, I found out there is a PSAUSA center about 15 miles away from where I live, so it works out well.

I'm sure Canada and other locations have their own low-cost shipping material centers you can buy directly from.

(thumbs u

Or buy in small bulk (25-50 boxes) from Uline or PSAUSA and you can purchase boxed for under $.50/each. Luckily, I found out there is a PSAUSA center about 15 miles away from where I live, so it works out well.

I'm sure Canada and other locations have their own low-cost shipping material centers you can buy directly from.

I don't buy boxes as there are so many stores around me that will give them to me. It takes a few seconds to cut them done and make boards to sandwich the comics for shipping. Try any books store as they are more than happy to give away the boxes.

(thumbs u

I don't buy boxes as there are so many stores around me that will give them to me. It takes a few seconds to cut them done and make boards to sandwich the comics for shipping. Try any books store as they are more than happy to give away the boxes.

I work in food service so I have a huge supply of boxes to pull from for shipping or to cut up as protection. If you buy from me you may receive your books in a gravy box or a pepper box or a cappacino box :acclaim:

Gravy comes in a box? :eek::o:sick:

-5 points for intentionally trying to make it into the out of context thread. lol

(thumbs u

I work in food service so I have a huge supply of boxes to pull from for shipping or to cut up as protection. If you buy from me you may receive your books in a gravy box or a pepper box or a cappacino box :acclaim:

The boxes you have shipped with my stuff are shweet. Just the right size. (thumbs u

There's nothing wrong with a friendly PM letting someone know there is a good chance their grading is pretty soft and won't be taken seriously by many boardies. I find a little honey attracts the flies more than vinegar :foryou:

Tried this . . . dude thought I was complementing his stuff doh!:insane:

If a book gets priced too low, there's not hesitation to snatch it up right away, say "wow what a great price" and move along. Same story when something is over priced or over-graded - the market place will be quiet. I see some sellers who repeatedly over price their books and I just stay away. There's a couple of big slab sellers that just believe that their wares are too superior to meet market pricing.

I also don't think it's productive to dump all over a sales thread and embarrass the seller for his/her mistake - sometimes it's intentional, other times it's not. I don't think I grade as well as others do and I appreciate PMs that help me in the future.