• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I have learned a lot from these threads as I soak up all the knowledge, protocol and opinions from these threads. I have truly enjoyed my whole experience...well, most of it at least. ;)

From a selling perspective, I enjoy seeing popcorns, wishlucks, etc. because it tells me that people are actually going through my threads and waiting for a good book to come up. This in turn helps me to learn what individuals like and what books they enjoy. I LOVE the pics that come up that make me laugh like hec. It continues to give me encouragement and it allows me to gain rapport and friendships with peeps. I have met so many awesome boardies on these threads and look forward to meeting more, especially in person at cons.

From a buyer's perspective, I do tend to be turned off by a seller bumping their thread more than usual. It doesn't annoy me, it only detours me from their sale, even if it would be a book I'm interested in.

As for posting only to increase your post count, IMHO, I could care less about my "points". When people get to know me, they'll see me and not my post count. I love gaining rapport with people and making them happy with the books they purchase from me. If they aren't, I do my best to fix it as some can attest to. That's what I like being known for in addition to supporting buddies during threads. Sometimes it's tough on a thread when it seems like no one listening or not interested in your books. It's good to have people break the tension with humor. 2c

:cool:

(thumbs u Very well said...

I rarely ever say MOAR or post up popcorns but is it also frowned upon to say "NICE BOOK (thumbs u " or "Good Luck on the sales :wishluck:" also if its considered useless banter in a sales thread? I get your point about the whole MOAR and posting up pictures as it also annoys sometimes yet it can also be funny. But is just wishing the person luck or complementing on a book also a bad thing to you? (shrug) Just wondering.

Look - my point is really not that hard to grasp.

If your sole purpose on the boards is to post endless streams of popcorn, other smileys, and photos you've stolen from failblog, well, yes, then you should be rightfully frowned upon. If you actually post something from time to time that isn't just a smiley, more power to you.

Besides, everyone knows that "good luck with the sale" is a euphemism for "your prices are crazzzyy" :gossip:

Bingo, popcorn shows interest, "Nice books" says you're broke but you'd buy if you could, "Good luck with the sale" says you're overpriced (Thumbs u

What's wrong with a little feedback for the seller? (shrug)

Not more than usual - there are numerous board members who break this rule repeatedly.

What I find much more annoying is the endless chatter that happen in the Modern FS threads - seems like every single book that gets posted needs to be followed by 10+ posts of nonsense from the peanut gallery. customers, potential customers and members of the community

I comment, quote and joke around in FS threads all the time. I also spend at least a grand a month on here. You can always go to ebay to buy and sell, no chatter or community there. You wont even have to be polite to anyone.

You're missing the point by about a mile.

I'm not complaining about a little banter in a sales thread - what is annoying, though, is people posting drivel to either drive up their post count or just because they can. Does every modern sales thread really need 15 posts of "moar" & popcorn, and random pictures of either fatties or cheerleaders - particularly when those posts push down the sales threads where the seller is actually posting books?

:eyeroll: As far as im concerned this hobby is lucky to have people that want to be here. Quit being so uptight. Why would you give a mess about what people are posting as long as they having fun and doing so within the rules of the forums. No need for the blanket insults (peanut gallery)

Bingo, popcorn shows interest, "Nice books" says you're broke but you'd buy if you could, "Good luck with the sale" says you're overpriced (Thumbs u

This legend should be posted somewhere in the sales forum for future use.

:insane:

:eyeroll: As far as im concerned this hobby is lucky to have people that want to be here. Quit being so uptight. Why would you give a mess about what people are posting as long as they having fun and doing so within the rules of the forums. No need for the blanket insults (peanut gallery)

Because there is a segment of any message board population that chooses to be content nazis. Just like grammar nazis. Just like spelling nazis. ON EVERY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET. I find poor spelling to be highly annoying for instance.

Now, getting back to the topic at hand. I agree with mschmidt to a point. Banter can be, and is, welcome but it can also get out of hand. Let's face it, if I start a sales thread and one of my buddies comes in and starts up a little banter it becomes sort of an unofficial thread bumping. Kind of a loophole for getting around guideline 12.

We have the guidelines in place for a reason Just because it's an unenforced guideline doesn't mean it isn't there.

A seller bumping his/her own thread = bad

A few of the sellers buddies bantering (and thus bumping the thread for him/her) = okay.

Why is one bad and one okay?

I make it a point to not banter in sales threads. Sometimes I do it but most of the time I withold my comments. I just think that banter is not for sales threads, (your opinion may vary) but it's a personal choice that I have made. I guess if the author of the sale thread isn't bothered by it, then I'm not either. (shrug)

I have learned a lot from these threads as I soak up all the knowledge, protocol and opinions from these threads. I have truly enjoyed my whole experience...well, most of it at least. ;)

From a selling perspective, I enjoy seeing popcorns, wishlucks, etc. because it tells me that people are actually going through my threads and waiting for a good book to come up. This in turn helps me to learn what individuals like and what books they enjoy. I LOVE the pics that come up that make me laugh like hec. It continues to give me encouragement and it allows me to gain rapport and friendships with peeps. I have met so many awesome boardies on these threads and look forward to meeting more, especially in person at cons.

From a buyer's perspective, I do tend to be turned off by a seller bumping their thread more than usual. It doesn't annoy me, it only detours me from their sale, even if it would be a book I'm interested in.

As for posting only to increase your post count, IMHO, I could care less about my "points". When people get to know me, they'll see me and not my post count. I love gaining rapport with people and making them happy with the books they purchase from me. If they aren't, I do my best to fix it as some can attest to. That's what I like being known for in addition to supporting buddies during threads. Sometimes it's tough on a thread when it seems like no one listening or not interested in your books. It's good to have people break the tension with humor. 2c

:cool:

(thumbs u Very well said...

Plus 1, I get worried if no one visits;) it's lonely...

Plus 1, I get worried if no one visits;) it's lonely...

That's why once in a while when I see a seller continuing to post books with no responses, I'll let them know someone is out there looking by posting something - anything - to give them a feeling of hope the forum was not completely banned except for them.

Matter of fact - I even did that for Mike a few times when he had a sales thread going and he asked the question, "Is anyone out there?"

hm

Now, getting back to the topic at hand. I agree with mschmidt to a point. Banter can be, and is, welcome but it can also get out of hand. Let's face it, if I start a sales thread and one of my buddies comes in and starts up a little banter it becomes sort of an unofficial thread bumping. Kind of a loophole for getting around guideline 12.

We have the guidelines in place for a reason Just because it's an unenforced guideline doesn't mean it isn't there.

A few of the sellers buddies bantering (and thus bumping the thread for him/her) = okay.

I make it a point to not banter in sales threads. Sometimes I do it but most of the time I withold my comments. I just think that banter is not for sales threads, (your opinion may vary) but it's a personal choice that I have made. I guess if the author of the sale thread isn't bothered by it, then I'm not either. (shrug)

Again, it's only a loophole around guideline 12 if the threadstarter isn't actively listing books. A majority of the time there is 'banter', it's going on while the seller is listing books, which is ok, IMO. If it's happening in an otherwise dead thread where the OP hasn't listed books for quite some time, then there's room for complaint.

Well, there goes that effort. I've told several people "Good luck with the sale." If any of you are reading this, I REALLY meant it. Now that I know some people take it as otherwise, I'll stop posting it. lol

Thanks for the heads up. (thumbs u

Edited by FIREFLY

Not more than usual - there are numerous board members who break this rule repeatedly.

What I find much more annoying is the endless chatter that happen in the Modern FS threads - seems like every single book that gets posted needs to be followed by 10+ posts of nonsense from the peanut gallery. customers, potential customers and members of the community

I comment, quote and joke around in FS threads all the time. I also spend at least a grand a month on here. You can always go to ebay to buy and sell, no chatter or community there. You wont even have to be polite to anyone.

You're missing the point by about a mile.

I'm not complaining about a little banter in a sales thread - what is annoying, though, is people posting drivel to either drive up their post count or just because they can. Does every modern sales thread really need 15 posts of "moar" & popcorn, and random pictures of either fatties or cheerleaders - particularly when those posts push down the sales threads where the seller is actually posting books?

I am guilty of this, but its more my way of encouraging a seller when they say they are going to posts more books to actually post them if I think they have something I would be interested in. I started doing it when I would read a sellers post saying "XXXXXX is coming up", but then wouldn't get to XXXXX because sales were poor on their other books.

Because there is a segment of any message board population that chooses to be content nazis. Just like grammar nazis. Just like spelling nazis. ON EVERY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET. I find poor spelling to be highly annoying for instance.

I HIGHLY prefer people posting in my sales thread...if no one posts, one feels ignored and depression sets in... :insane::tonofbricks:

Pretty soon you're clicking on some other sales thread with lots of banter and then you really feel left out in the cold... :tonofbricks::tonofbricks:

Next thing you know you're making sure all the sharp objects are put away... :frustrated:

Finally someone comes along and leaves a nice note and a ray of sunshine appears and you won't have to commit suicide after all... :cloud9:

I HIGHLY prefer people posting in my sales thread...if no one posts, one feels ignored and depression sets in... :insane::tonofbricks:

Pretty soon you're clicking on some other sales thread with lots of banter and then you really feel left out in the cold... :tonofbricks::tonofbricks:

Next thing you know you're making sure all the sharp objects are put away... :frustrated:

Finally someone comes along and leaves a nice note and a ray of sunshine appears and you won't have to commit suicide after all... :cloud9:

Now, I feel guilty and I promise to visit your threads more. lol

I rarely ever say MOAR or post up popcorns but is it also frowned upon to say "NICE BOOK (thumbs u " or "Good Luck on the sales :wishluck:" also if its considered useless banter in a sales thread? I get your point about the whole MOAR and posting up pictures as it also annoys sometimes yet it can also be funny. But is just wishing the person luck or complementing on a book also a bad thing to you? (shrug) Just wondering.

If your sole purpose on the boards is to post endless streams of popcorn, other smileys, and photos you've stolen from failblog, well, yes, then you should be rightfully frowned upon. If you actually post something from time to time that isn't just a smiley, more power to you.

Besides, everyone knows that "good luck with the sale" is a euphemism for "your prices are crazzzyy" :gossip:

Errrr.I If I say "good luck with the sale, I'm merely giving good wishes

I must have lost the board code handbook;) :sorry:

Edited by skypinkblu

I don't really care one way or the other about posting in sales threads but every time I see the "good luck with the sale", I immediately think they are telling the seller you're way overpriced. :whistle:

I don't really care one way or the other about posting in sales threads but every time I see the "good luck with the sale", I immediately think they are telling the seller you're way overpriced. :whistle:

Guess I'm not as cynical as you...I just figured it was well-wishing...at least that's what I intend when I post it... (shrug)

Sometimes I would read a sales thread and think :o . People would post "good luck with the sale" or "that shouldn't last long" Now I understand.

Of course now people are posting they really meant so I am back to (shrug)

I think posting Popcorn or Moar in a thread is a good thing. It means I want some books just not the books you have posted so far. But you are getting warm.

Good luck trying to find another copy, think it's out of print (thumbs u

I post :popcorn: , :foryou: , or :hi: in selling threads that I am interested in. Jamming up my post count is not important to me, just telling the seller that he isn't posting in a vacuum.

I'm not the biggest buyer on the boards but the majority of my purchases occur here and I usually complete 5-10 deals a month.

Edited by thehumantorch