• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I wonder if we can add a rule barring the requirement for the buyer to cover fees. I'm getting sick of seeing it. :sumo:

Yes. Can we please have more regulation of the Selling area? It is so much better than individuals handling the business themselves and voting with their wallets.

I gotta disagree with that. It more has to do with operating in a business-like and professional manner. If a seller can't be bothered to use a calculator to work up your pricing, what else are they cutting corners on?

To simply hope that the general populace will "vote with their wallet" sounds lazy. That's basically saying that no one's feelings should be hurt or no one should be put out of their way to conduct business around here - because it's a free market, and if you're an assclown, you won't get any business and you'll eventually go away. It's a simple rule to make, and requires very little of the seller to implement.

We've wasted 10X more energy discussing it than if it were just enacted to simplify and streamline the selling process. No one's civil liberites are violated in asking them to use their brains to calcuate a 3% fee into their selling price.

That's fine. Let's also legislate font size, word choice, ozone friendly farting policies, political correctness, proper hygiene, quality of books and level of snarkiness as well. Pretty soon the list of rules you have to read will be so long, the n00bs will say "Screw It." and we'll have this place all to our selves. Yes, Precious, all to ourselves.

Edited by seanfingh

I wonder if we can add a rule barring the requirement for the buyer to cover fees. I'm getting sick of seeing it. :sumo:

Yes. Can we please have more regulation of the Selling area? It is so much better than individuals handling the business themselves and voting with their wallets.

I gotta disagree with that. It more has to do with operating in a business-like and professional manner. If a seller can't be bothered to use a calculator to work up your pricing, what else are they cutting corners on?

To simply hope that the general populace will "vote with their wallet" sounds lazy. That's basically saying that no one's feelings should be hurt or no one should be put out of their way to conduct business around here - because it's a free market, and if you're an assclown, you won't get any business and you'll eventually go away. It's a simple rule to make, and requires very little of the seller to implement.

We've wasted 10X more energy discussing it than if it were just enacted to simplify and streamline the selling process. No one's civil liberites are violated in asking them to use their brains to calcuate a 3% fee into their selling price.

That's fine. Let's also legislate font size, word choice, ozone friendly farting policies, political correctness, proper hygiene, quality of books and level of snarkiness as well. Pretty soon the list of rules you have to read will be so long, the n00bs will say "Screw It." and we'll have this place all to our selves. Yes, Precious, all to ourselves.

I think that just might be the idea. :gossip:

You smell purdy...

:eek: I smell salt and vinegar.

I have no problem with the seller asking for PayPal fees in the ad. It just means some folks will pass. But if a seller tries to foist them off on the buyer AFTER the :takeit: the buyer has every right to cancel the transaction.

I'd love to see the seller try to get the buyer on the PL for backing out of a deal! :devil:

A seller that gives a break for someone paying by check/money order is not operating in a business-like and professional manner?

After a quick review of what's out there, guessing a lot of this is directed at my thread since I didn't see others asking for the 3%.

It very well could be the sellers preference to do business in this manner. More and more on high-dollar transactions, it makes no sense to me to give 3% to paypal for no reason, not 3% of my money and not 3% of the buyers money.

Generally I discount well beyond the 3% for cash based transactions and give the buyer the option of giving their money to paypal.

I understand the protection that paypal gives to buyers. If anyone is worried about not getting something they pay me for, they're generally going to be better off shopping somewhere else anyway.

A seller that gives a break for someone paying by check/money order is not operating in a business-like and professional manner?

After a quick review of what's out there, guessing a lot of this is directed at my thread since I didn't see others asking for the 3%.

It very well could be the sellers preference to do business in this manner. More and more on high-dollar transactions, it makes no sense to me to give 3% to paypal for no reason, not 3% of my money and not 3% of the buyers money.

Generally I discount well beyond the 3% for cash based transactions and give the buyer the option of giving their money to paypal.

I understand the protection that paypal gives to buyers. If anyone is worried about not getting something they pay me for, they're generally going to be better off shopping somewhere else anyway.

I do not know how you handled your sales thread, but I can point you to four or five other threads where the seller requires the buyer to pay their fees for them. It's irritating and I among others choose not to play the game. When I sell comics here I cover the fees that are my responsibility (PP fees) and leave the buyer to cover his/her fees (shipping). When I turn around and buy comics here, I will not be paying the PP fees then as well.

At this point, seeing someone offering 3% off for a non-Paypal transaction feels like the same thing to me, and I know that I'm not alone. However, I can see the argument against this. It's quite possible that once people stop asking others to pay their Paypal fees, it'll be easier to see the reverse as something reasonable.

I am sorry but you are not GIVING Paypal 3% your are actually PAYING for a service they provide. If you don't care for that service, then you should do business elsewhere. Google offers a service to pay for items. Use that one then.

Regardless of how you feel about Paypal it is still a business and they charge for their service.

There was another post here that has been vanished and this was in answer to that.

I think the point is, add the fees on to your wanted price and list it.

I will pay the price listed, I just dont want to see an added extra, before, during and especially after the sale.

$103 = :takeit:

$100 + $3 = I am not even looking by now.

:makepoint:

There was another post here that has been vanished and this was in answer to that.

I will pay the price listed, I just dont want to see an added extra, before, during and especially after the sale.

Absolutely. You can deconstruct this position and suggest that it's irrational, but it's not. Spelling out that you're putting your fees onto your buyers will result in missed sales.

For all those people kvetching about sellers offering a discount for paying via MO/check, how do you feel when you pull up to your local gas station, pay for gas with a credit card and end up having to pay 10 cents more a gallon than if you had paid cash?

Do you then walk in and berate the clerk for this "unprofessional" selling practice?

Beats me, I haven't bought gas in at least 7 years. I don't remember ever paying extra with a credit card though. Maybe that's not a Massachusetts thing?

You are not paying extra for a credit card. You are getting a discount for using cash. We can probably do this dance all day. lol

For all those people kvetching about sellers offering a discount for paying via MO/check, how do you feel when you pull up to your local gas station, pay for gas with a credit card and end up having to pay 10 cents more a gallon than if you had paid cash?

Do you then walk in and berate the clerk for this "unprofessional" selling practice?

that practice is illegal in Texas.

Getting a discount for cash?

If it weren't 100+ degrees 300 days out of the year, I'd move there.

Yeah, but either way you're paying $103. Does it really matter that much that the seller is giving buyers the option to buy a little bit cheaper by not paying via Paypal?

For the record, I have never offered such options. I just throw up a price and go with it. I'm just curious why this seems to be such a big deal (shrug)

Yeah, but either way you're paying $103. Does it really matter that much that the seller is giving buyers the option to buy a little bit cheaper by not paying via Paypal?

For the record, I have never offered such options. I just throw up a price and go with it. I'm just curious why this seems to be such a big deal (shrug)

Retailers get hit with fees and expenses for all kinds of stuff. They incorporate those fees & expenses into their retail prices, but they do not spell them out? Why do we think that is?

At any rate, as fingh has pointed out, we could go in circles on this one all month. Obviously some people don't like the practice, and have indicated that they are currently passing on sales when they see it. If sellers care about the potential lost sales they'll change their practice. if they don't they'll just keep on keepin' on.

Again, I"m with D on this one. It's all about perception. Businesses don't itemize out every single thing on a receipt because people don't want to know the nuts and bolts of what goes into a price. Yes, you pay it either way - the difference is how you percieve the sale.

I don't care if a print shop charges me $12 to typset my name on a business card, $18 for printing and $5 for shop materials. All I care about is the $35 total I pay for the end product. Itemizing it out is more information that I need to know, or care about - and leaves open the possiblity to call into question why I am being charged a certain price for a service that goes into creating the product, etc and so forth.

This is not really an opinion. This is how retail businesses conduct themselves - because you are buying a product (unlike service industries, where you are buying a service and would justify the itemization of said services). Asking sellers to do the same really isn't that much of a stretch.

This is not really an opinion. This is how retail businesses conduct themselves - because you are buying a product (unlike service industries, where you are buying a service and would justify the itemization of said services). Asking sellers to do the same really isn't that much of a stretch.

Some gas stations (retail outlets) do not conduct business this way. As I said earlier, I can pull up to a local station and be given the option of paying $3.75/gallon if I pay cash, or $3.85/gallon if I pay credit card.

If a seller that I trust gives me the option to pay for comics by MO and save a few bucks, I might just take that option.

Some gas stations (retail outlets) do not conduct business this way. As I said earlier, I can pull up to a local station and be given the option of paying $3.75/gallon if I pay cash, or $3.85/gallon if I pay credit card.

If a seller that I trust gives me the option to lay for comics by MO and save a few bucks, I might just take that option.

I don't like writing checks anymore but I do for my ComicLink wins. Considering some of the totals have been over $1k, I'm not willing to pay the credit card fees that CL passes to the customer.