• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

Balls is just mad that he's not making the big bucks here like the rest of us. I took my profits from the last two years selling Dark Tower hardbacks and bought this little beauty ... ;)

I hate being reminded about that book. I begged my mom to buy me one of those for my birthday (one showed up in the classified ads in Denver) back in 1984 - it was a publisher copy (I didn't know what that was at the time) listed for sale for $150, and I'll never forget what my mom said: "$150 for a book? I don't think so."

My mom also prohibited me from seeing Iron Maiden on the World Slavery Tour when I was 11 years old, which I will hold against her for all time.

Saw them on the Seventh Son tour. It was incredible. You should consider putting yourself up for adoption

Opinions on if or when it is warranted to thread krap due to a seller posting misleading/incorrect/selective GPA used in selling a book.

Info that's not an outright lie but the way it's presented is not the truth either.

Opinions on if or when it is warranted to thread krap due to a seller posting misleading/incorrect/selective GPA used in selling a book.

Info that's not an outright lie but the way it's presented is not the truth either.

Yeah, I've seen more than a few of these. My impression is, though, that the mods consider saying anything to be thread krapping. :(

I'm a fan of posting here with a link to the thread. At least it helps get it out of my system.

I'm a fan of posting here with a link to the thread. At least it helps get it out of my system.

seconded...

With all the spamming in the Sales Threads sections, I suggest we petition (ask CGC nicely) to set a minimum post count before allowing new members to post there.

My suggestion would be 100 posts.

It would be nice if we could restrict it to thread starting, but I don't know if that's an option.

I know this has been discussed before and obviously never implemented, but more people seem to be on board now with this latest rash of scams on our boards.

Once we get a good amount of feedback from you guys and your suggestions to outright exclusion from buying and selling (ie. posting there), or just thread starting in the Sales sections, and what number to set as the minimum, (deep breath), then we should start a poll with the appropriate options.

Thoughts and suggestions?

With all the spamming in the Sales Threads sections, I suggest we petition (ask CGC nicely) to set a minimum post count before allowing new members to post there.

It would be nice if we could restrict it to thread starting, but I don't know if that's an option.

I know this has been discussed before and obviously never implemented, but more people seem to be on board now with this latest rash of scams on our boards.

Once we get a good amount of feedback from you guys and your suggestions to outright exclusion from buying and selling (ie. posting there), or just thread starting in the Sales sections, and what number to set as the minimum, (deep breath), then we should start a poll with the appropriate options.

+1

I agree with this 100%. We have to do something here.

Some sort of selling restriction :thumbsup: I think 100 posts is too small. 300 posts is better. I also think we should allow new sellers if an established board member with say 1000 plus posts vouches for him, that would allow new boardies with long time connections to the hobby to sell here.

That being said, a rough poll to feel out consensus makes sense.

I would vote in favor of this.

What scams? Got a couple links?

What scams? Got a couple links?

Most of them went "poof", but there are a few locked threads in the modern and GA/SA sales forums that were scammers. There are also a couple of threads from 1 post posters for high dollar books at 20% of going prices. :facepalm:

About that Exciting #39 thread going on in G/S/B...still strikes me as a bit strange. I mean, we found "his" old username within an hour of looking using information he provided, and he himself was unable to find it? hm

My mess detector is going off....

I'm thinking he's perfectly fine, to be honest. Could be wrong, but I doubt it here.

He posted exciting 39 in the gold forum without calling it "Exciting Comics 39", that why I couldn't find his book until he gave his username.

If he were a fake, how could he know to select this particular book that was posted 3 years ago? And give us his username?

Still the old username only has 22 posts, but my spidey senses have calmed down now.

I'm thinking he's perfectly fine, to be honest. Could be wrong, but I doubt it here.

He posted exciting 39 in the gold forum without calling it "Exciting Comics 39", that why I couldn't find his book until he gave his username.

If he were a fake, how could he know to select this particular book that was posted 3 years ago? And give us his username?

Still the old username only has 22 posts, but my spidey senses have calmed down now.

So, you'd like him to have to post 100 times before selling his Exciting 39?

I hear you...I guess this recent rash of this nonsense just has me a little jittery. But, if a scamster wanted to get really sophisticated, here's a possible formula:

1. Go search the grade me forum to find a cool (and expensive) book that was posted by a user some time ago with a very small number of posts that appears to have gone inactive.

2. Create a fresh account claiming to have previously had an account here (referencing the inactive account associated with the grade me post years ago), but unable to resurrect it because of forgotten passwords, etc..., and offer for sale (without current pics) the very book that was posted in the grade me forum by the inactive user...wool pulled.

Sounds like a sophisticated effort, I agree...but if the straightforward scamming approach is proving ineffective, perhaps one would invest the energy to get a bit more advanced. Having said that, I agree that it might be legit...as I said, I'm just a bit edgy because of the increasing frequency of apparent scams we've seen lately...

Absolutely. (thumbs u

Absolutely. (thumbs u

I don't really care either way, but seeing a single post seller ... is that not an excellent way to know who not to buy from?

I hear you...I guess this recent rash of this nonsense just has me a little jittery. But, if a scamster wanted to get really sophisticated, here's a possible formula:

1. Go search the grade me forum to find a cool (and expensive) book that was posted by a user some time ago with a very small number of posts that appears to have gone inactive.

2. Create a fresh account claiming to have previously had an account here (referencing the inactive account associated with the grade me post years ago), but unable to resurrect it because of forgotten passwords, etc..., and offer for sale (without current pics) the very book that was posted in the grade me forum by the inactive user...wool pulled.

Sounds like a sophisticated effort, I agree...but if the straightforward scamming approach is proving ineffective, perhaps one would invest the energy to get a bit more advanced. Having said that, I agree that it might be legit...as I said, I'm just a bit edgy because of the increasing frequency of apparent scams we've seen lately...

Could have happened this way, although this book wasn't in the PGM section.

We'll see how it all plays out. :popcorn:

Absolutely. (thumbs u

I don't really care either way, but seeing a single post seller ... is that not an excellent way to know who not to buy from?

It is. I'd rather never see a single post seller ever again, though. 2c