• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,158 posts in this topic

Are there any limits to how many active sales threads you can have running in a particular forum? It seems lately folks are having multiple sales threads to lists a set of books instead of having them all in one thread.

I had never seen it this rampant before but currently in gold/silver/bronze there is one member with 4 sales threads in the first page (another on page two for a total of 5 active threads), and another with 2 sales threads in the first page as well.

Is this allowed, haven't seen anyone say anything otherwise but I know if I post more than 3 books for (PGM book) grading I'm quickly reminded of proper etiquette.

Thoughts?

It's pretty clear in the rules:

No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.

Just odd no one is saying about it. I know I can't be the only noticing this.

Are you talking about Moondog's threads?

Bingo!

I respect Moondog enormously, but don't like seeing anyone with 4 sales threads sitting on the first page.

All of those threads could have easily been created in one. I wanted to say something to him a good number of times, but then I held back, thinking......ah, he's Moondog. Still, he should know the rules and abide by them.

If you're reading this Gary, no disrespect. :foryou:

I believe it has been brought to his attention...

I honestly can't remember - did we make that a definite no-no on the board sales?

Dan

The seller is being upfront with his terms. If you don't like it, don't buy from him.

No buyer's protection whatsoever, so that plays into account for me.

Don't want to start a spoon-storm up in this thread....but I probably didn't read back enough to catch the whole Paypal fee discussion.

I thought the whole point was that folks couldn't say "Use personal paypal" because it would disallow the buyer's protection. (and the fees were shifted totally onto the buyer)

But if someone wants to not absorb the paypal fees and incorporates that into the price ie- + 3%, is there something that's inherently wrong with that? Especially if it's the standard Paypal 'purchase' and not sending 'money to a friend or family member'?

When I've sent books to be pressed by Joeypost he always indicates that you've gotta tack on 3% for books paid via Paypal. Nobody seems to have an issue with that.

My personal take: I'd not bother demanding an extra 3%, I'd just build it into the pricing for the offer.

So basically if you want $100, then ask for $103 and be done with it...straight up Paypal.

Sorry about the noob question, but I'm not certain specifically what folks are being offended by. It could just as easily be resolved by splitting the difference between the parties as well (if the fees were that much of an issue).

I just don't like to nickel and dime folks.....especially the boardies. If that show has to go on the road....the best bet is eBay.

The Paypal 3% shuffle is still with us... :cry:

I hear you, Speedy-D...mentioning a "PayPal surcharge" in listings used to turn me off so much that I would simply not purchase books under such listings. The more I self-reflect about it though, the more I wonder whether it's the general principle of the thing that bothers me, or is it simply the pitch...the reason I'm thinking about this is that some listings effectively impose a 3% PayPal surcharge, just presented in a different way, and these alternative presentations don't seem as put-off'ish, for some reason. For example, which of the following listing terms are most and least offensive? (holding the issue of protection aside):

1) $4,500, PayPal, check, or money order

2) $4,500, PayPal only

3) $4,365, check or money order only (no PayPal)

4) $4,500, PayPal, check, or money order accepted (3% discount if paid via check or money order)

5) $4,365, PayPal, check, or money order accepted (add 3% if paid via PayPal)

I think we inherently like to see #1 for some reason; but, if I'm comfortable enough with the seller (based on prior transactions, for example) to pay via check, wouldn't I like to have the option of #4 or #5? Also, interesting that often there are listings like #4 (which pitch the thing as a discount) which don't seem to draw as much scorn as the #5 phrasing (which pitch the thing as an add-on), even though they are effectively the same. So, what is it that bothers me so much about #5.... hm

ComicLink charges a 3% fee when you pay with CC. I don't buy there a lot anymore because their site frustrates me with high prices, old items, and sales pending items. I would always send a check to avoid the fees and I think it poor business to pass the fee on to the customer. This is the way they state it -

"All transactions are subject to a three percent (3%) Buyer’s Premium which is in addition to the purchase price, which premium may be rebated if the purchase price is paid on time and under certain payment terms, such as check, money order, or bank wire."

Comic Connect doesn't add anything to CC payments and they have no BP.

I think the issue that sticks in most folk's craw is that the seller is trying to have the buyer absorb all the fees & with that same scenario it denies the buyer from having protection when it pertains to Paypal.

There are a bunch of places that do charge a buyer's premium. Comiclink is one, Mycomicshop.com is yet another example. Of course you do have a modicum of protection with regards to those transactions.

The bottom line is if something is priced at a point I don't feel comfortable paying I simply won't. Not going to lose sleep over it.

I personally don't have an issue with people asking me to absorb the Paypal fees, but if gven the opportunity I'd defintely rather not....and sometimes I won't pull the trigger if the fees are exorbitant. A second tier approach as I mentioned before is simply splitting the fees between buyer and seller...which seems quite equitable and fair.

With folks selling on the boards there's a range of problems I've seen but they shouldn't be disallowed from doing it....it should be something both the buyer and seller are comfortable with...or the item just sits in limbo. I really do have an issue with the fact that there are supposed to be "boardie special deals" and then I look at the recent GPA.....and the asking price listed here is the same as or over the GPA. Why bother? I'd just hit Ebay at that point?

If something is sold here, unless the GPA really hasn't caught up with it for whatever strange reason.....I'd hope that boardies would give a price a bit lower than GPA at the very least...considering there's no Ebay fees or whatever to contend with. When someone lists OVER GPA here and then hits you in the sack with the Paypal 3% that's just something I've seen a few times that rubs me the wrong way entirely. The only thing 'special' about those board deals is that you're getting treated like a tourist in Manhattan.

Anytime I see the terms “Paypal add +3%”; then I know that I won’t be buying anything in that For Sell thread. It doesn’t matter if the seller has books that I’m looking to add to my collection at prices that I’m willing to pay or not. For me; the fact that the seller wants me to pay the fees that he has to pay to Paypal for using their service is enough to turn me off for making any purchases. It is not like the seller has any listing fees that they have to pay to list books for sale on the forum like they would if using ebay.

While I have in the far past; used checks or money orders to pay for purchases; I wouldn’t send either now unless I really knew the person that I was sending the payment too. The buyer protections that you get from Paypal; makes using them a lot safer than sending someone a check or money order

My personal take: I'd not bother demanding an extra 3%, I'd just build it into the pricing for the offer.

This is also my take. While building the fee into the selling price; means I'm still paying the fee for the seller; it doesn't fee like a money grab to me the way that asking for the +3% does.

Psy

Seller is allowed to charge any surcharge they see fit I'd say hm

As long as its upfront and visible, it still has to be considered legit and within the confines of the rules.

It may bother some... but hey... unfortunately surcharges are a part of the Brave New World of sales everywhere.

Besides... why is everyone's worrying about a lowly 3% surcharge on a book priced at 12.75% above recent GPA (shrug)

On books like these... you can pay the price listed, or don't ;)

Are we allow to buy and sell GPA subscription, sharing the access code?

The question before that is if sharing GPA access code possible? I've read some GPA discussion before but don't remember if we can share and even allow to sell on board. Personally i don't have that many cgc books so once in a while i would like to check the price for them, or just some random books that pop in mind. I know that there are boardies that can help you with the info if you posted but it is such a hassle. I don't buy or sell much so 1 yr subscription is a waste on me, on the other hand, 1month is not enough if you need info couple months later.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask such question.

Thanks for the help!

Are we allow to buy and sell GPA subscription, sharing the access code?

The question before that is if sharing GPA access code possible? I've read some GPA discussion before but don't remember if we can share and even allow to sell on board. Personally i don't have that many cgc books so once in a while i would like to check the price for them, or just some random books that pop in mind. I know that there are boardies that can help you with the info if you posted but it is such a hassle. I don't buy or sell much so 1 yr subscription is a waste on me, on the other hand, 1month is not enough if you need info couple months later.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask such question.

Thanks for the help!

I'd check the FAQ on the GPA website, or better yet ask this guy George. I'm sure he'll know. (thumbs u

As long as its upfront and visible, it still has to be considered legit and within the confines of the rules.

It may bother some... but hey... unfortunately surcharges are a part of the Brave New World of sales everywhere.

Besides... why is everyone's worrying about a lowly 3% surcharge on a book priced at 12.75% above recent GPA (shrug)

Yep, they can charge whatever they want. And I and others can kvetch about it here in the General Discussion thread, and skip those sales threads. :)

Yep, they can charge whatever they want. And I and others can kvetch about it here in the General Discussion thread, and skip those sales threads. :)

Don't get me wrong Speedy... I don't like it either :foryou:

I'm just not going to let it limit me from getting a book that I want just because someone priced a book at $100 plus 3% instead of $103. ;)

Don't get me wrong Speedy... I don't like it either :foryou:

I'm just not going to let it limit me from getting a book that I want just because someone priced a book at $100 plus 3% instead of $103. ;)

To each his own.

Thoughts on this grading approach?

Im not immediately opposed to the loose grading when there are very good scans for cheap books, but when were talking about books that cost over $20, I'd like a grade, or at least a discription of what counts as "mid-grade" or "lower high grade" or whatever.

Can midgrade books have centerfolds detached at one staple?

Do the lower high grade books have Cream pages?

And my biggest concern is that if you're gonna be super lose with presenting grading, then you need to be very specific about your return policy and pay shipping BOTH ways.

If you dont wanna invest the time in specific grading, then you have to be willing to take the risk of a return at your cost.

(I mean he's selling a FF 52 for over $100 with no back cover scan, and no grade listed)

Thoughts on this grading approach?

Im not immediately opposed to the loose grading when there are very good scans for cheap books, but when were talking about books that cost over $20, I'd like a grade, or at least a discription of what counts as "mid-grade" or "lower high grade" or whatever.

Can midgrade books have centerfolds detached at one staple?

Do the lower high grade books have Cream pages?

And my biggest concern is that if you're gonna be super lose with presenting grading, then you need to be very specific about your return policy and pay shipping BOTH ways.

If you dont wanna invest the time in specific grading, then you have to be willing to take the risk of a return at your cost.

(I mean he's selling a FF 52 for over $100 with no back cover scan, and no grade listed)

I agree with your thoughts here, but I suppose this approach technically meets the listing rules (which state "List scans or information about the grade of the offered books"..."or" being the operative word). Having said that, without the listing enhancements you describe, I'll just pass right by a listing with grading like this...just not worth dealing with it.

I also find fascinating the contrast between the very loose grading and the very precise pricing...I mean, the X-Men 4 is $243.04....not $243, but $243.04 hm

I also find fascinating the contrast between the very loose grading and the very precise pricing...I mean, the X-Men 4 is $243.04....not $243, but $243.04 hm

I always assume the people that do this saw that report a few years ago about how real-tors list houses at odd prices to stand out because brains look for differences and group similarities.

So rather than getting your house "grouped" with all of the other $24,000 house your brain makes a separate category for your $24,851 house, and therefore you stand out and are more memorable.