• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Am I wrong or does "original owner" copy not mean much when it comes to Bronze Age and later books?

I know there are a few "pedigree" collections that went int the Bronze age (and beyond) but is it really that special (OO copies) to add value over the market for a non-original owner copy?

[especially when its already been noted that the book has been pressed, which is part of the OO appeal at times is that the book hasnt been thru multiple resuscitation?]

oh and note this isnt the original owner selling the book, this is someone selling a book that he bought from the original owner (and then pressed and slabbed)

Edited by Miraclemet

Am I wrong or does "original owner" copy not mean much when it comes to Bronze Age and later books?

I know there are a few "pedigree" collections that went int the Bronze age (and beyond) but is it really that special (OO copies) to add value over the market for a non-original owner copy?

[especially when its already been noted that the book has been pressed, which is part of the OO appeal at times is that the book hasnt been thru multiple resuscitation?]

oh and note this isnt the original owner selling the book, this is someone selling a book that he bought from the original owner (and then pressed and slabbed)

I'm not sure the term "original owner" means much at all anymore for any period of comics. Pretty certain most of the major pedigrees that have surfaced in the last few years all went through the press before they even saw the first auction (or at least the top few 100 books in each collection). The OO term is very over used in my opinion to entice people for the very reason that you describe, that the books may be prime for "improvement". And I think that's probably the case with all books- gold, silver, and especially bronze. 2c

Although I do like to dream that there are some books that will come to the market for collectors from collectors without all the garbage in between. :cloud9:

I'm not sure the term "original owner" means much at all anymore for any period of comics. Pretty certain most of the major pedigrees that have surfaced in the last few years all went through the press before they even saw the first auction (or at least the top few 100 books in each collection). The OO term is very over used in my opinion to entice people for the very reason that you describe, that the books may be prime for "improvement". And I think that's probably the case with all books- gold, silver, and especially bronze. 2c

Although I do like to dream that there are some books that will come to the market for collectors from collectors without all the garbage in between. :cloud9:

I was most intrigued by the fact that he was using the OO status to ask over market for a pair of bronze age keys.

If they were GA maybe I could see the alure, but Bronze? Lots of people kept their books from the 70s!

What is the protocol for someone posting blatantly wrong, and misleading, GPA information? Say for example, citing a single SS (sketched) sale at over $475 but not mentioning that 3 other SS sales have taken place at less than $125? Or failing to state that there is a GPA for a Q copy, when it is actually a Q copy? Just hypothetically, of course.

What is the protocol for someone posting blatantly wrong, and misleading, GPA information? Say for example, citing a single SS (sketched) sale at over $475 but not mentioning that 3 other SS sales have taken place at less than $125? Or failing to state that there is a GPA for a Q copy, when it is actually a Q copy? Just hypothetically, of course.

agreed!

We have gone around about this one a number of times because it happens fairly often. I would say at least once every couple of weeks I've seen someone in the B/S/G thread quote an outlier GPA sale without giving the context.

Unfortunately, to this point the view seems to be that posting to the thread with more complete info would be thread krapping. I suppose if someone went so far as to actually make up GPA data (which I can't recall having seen anyone do), being called on it within the thread would pass muster.

I typically PM the seller and in polite a fashion as possible "Im sure you didnt mean to paint an incomplete picture with the GPA data, but its worth noting that non-sketched SS copies like the one you are selling seem to average $125"

usually I get no reply, but then magically their listing changes....

magic+meme.gif

Its ok he was recently mugged and needed money so was selling his books but then buying books off ebay and trying to flip before the books were in hand...

Kind of like a couple of months ago when he was having to sell just to survive, yet he was still buying books at the same time? hm