• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Huh.

Good eyes, I have to take better care next time.

hm

This is unreal. :(

When he sent a PM stating he was a down-on-his-luck guy selling off his comics, I was thinking maybe there was a mistake. When I found the picture and posted that in the PM, I couldn't believe that was the response I received.

you-got-me-copper-i-give-up.jpg

Huh.

hm

When he sent a PM stating he was a down-on-his-luck guy selling off his comics, I was thinking maybe there was a mistake. When I found the picture and posted that in the PM, I couldn't believe that was the response I received.

... well his name was "slick" Rick hm

Huh.

hm

Is that a joke, Nick? or did he really send it... Because I thought I've seen that before when someone else was trying to do a scam sale.

Huh.

hm

Is that a joke, Nick? or did he really send it... Because I thought I've seen that before when someone else was trying to do a scam sale.

I think that he just sent the quoted text. The meme is Nick's.

Huh.

hm

I think that he just sent the quoted text. The meme is Nick's.

^^

He just sent the comment that I had found him out. Just like that.

Huh.

hm

This has happened at least twice now recently where the scammer admits to it when caught, or jokes about it.

My 2c

This is not a scammer going after your money; this is someone getting a kick out of disruption. I have a feeling the majority of the fake sales threads recently are probably just one person.

Thoughts on this grading approach?

Im not immediately opposed to the loose grading when there are very good scans for cheap books, but when were talking about books that cost over $20, I'd like a grade, or at least a discription of what counts as "mid-grade" or "lower high grade" or whatever.

Can midgrade books have centerfolds detached at one staple?

Do the lower high grade books have Cream pages?

And my biggest concern is that if you're gonna be super lose with presenting grading, then you need to be very specific about your return policy and pay shipping BOTH ways.

If you dont wanna invest the time in specific grading, then you have to be willing to take the risk of a return at your cost.

(I mean he's selling a FF 52 for over $100 with no back cover scan, and no grade listed)

I agree with your thoughts here, but I suppose this approach technically meets the listing rules (which state "List scans or information about the grade of the offered books"..."or" being the operative word). Having said that, without the listing enhancements you describe, I'll just pass right by a listing with grading like this...just not worth dealing with it.

I also find fascinating the contrast between the very loose grading and the very precise pricing...I mean, the X-Men 4 is $243.04....not $243, but $243.04 hm

Actually the pricing was based on the book number X-Men 4 hence the 4 cents...... :sorry: if that caused confusion and or thoughts of pricing to catch sales.... :pullhair: I didn't know that was possible for me at least.... (shrug)

The :rulez: were followed and the constructive criticism that was received has been utilized the best way I could. Thanks to all that explained and helped..... (worship)

Asking the question instead of assuming/guessing will get the correct answer 99% of the time unless someone is scamming. :makepoint:

Thoughts on this grading approach?

Im not immediately opposed to the loose grading when there are very good scans for cheap books, but when were talking about books that cost over $20, I'd like a grade, or at least a discription of what counts as "mid-grade" or "lower high grade" or whatever.

Can midgrade books have centerfolds detached at one staple?

Do the lower high grade books have Cream pages?

And my biggest concern is that if you're gonna be super lose with presenting grading, then you need to be very specific about your return policy and pay shipping BOTH ways.

If you dont wanna invest the time in specific grading, then you have to be willing to take the risk of a return at your cost.

(I mean he's selling a FF 52 for over $100 with no back cover scan, and no grade listed)

I agree with your thoughts here, but I suppose this approach technically meets the listing rules (which state "List scans or information about the grade of the offered books"..."or" being the operative word). Having said that, without the listing enhancements you describe, I'll just pass right by a listing with grading like this...just not worth dealing with it.

I also find fascinating the contrast between the very loose grading and the very precise pricing...I mean, the X-Men 4 is $243.04....not $243, but $243.04 hm

Actually the pricing was based on the book number X-Men 4 hence the 4 cents...... :sorry: if that caused confusion and or thoughts of pricing to catch sales.... :pullhair: I didn't know that was possible for me at least.... (shrug)

The :rulez: were followed and the constructive criticism that was received has been utilized the best way I could. Thanks to all that explained and helped..... (worship)

Asking the question instead of assuming/guessing will get the correct answer 99% of the time unless someone is scamming. :makepoint:

:D

Everyone is different.

Personally, I don't care about the seller's opinion of the grade. I only care about MY opinion of the grade.

Give me a price, a high resolution scan of front and back, call out any defects that can't be seen and I'm good to go.

Huh.

hm

This has happened at least twice now recently where the scammer admits to it when caught, or jokes about it.

My 2c

This is not a scammer going after your money; this is someone getting a kick out of disruption. I have a feeling the majority of the fake sales threads recently are probably just one person.

That was my impression, a fruitcake recidivist

Huh.

hm

My 2c

I had two other people PM me yesterday thinking the same exact thing. That this was someone trying to make a point. Especially with the "Slickrick" handle, and posting hot, key books at below-market prices.

With the discussion about the PL approach not being worth the effort, someone may have been making up a situation to see what would happen. Most probably in that case, "Slickrick" wouldn't provided payment information, stop responding to PMs, and buyers would bring his name to the PL. Then the "so what" question would come up.

What would be the reason for covering up the serial number in a FS thread?

I can think of 2 reasons...

1) Hide true ownership

2) Prevent a potential buyer from finding a previous exact sale price using the serial number.

xxx ooo

Rupp

currently annoyed at a lister who has a book I want listed at a fair price, but has only displayed a photo of the book that cuts off part of the book.

I'd pull the trigger, but the OP has a "no returns on CGC books" policy listed in his rules.

And Im not gonna pull the trigger on a book I cant at least see 100% of the cover.

Weak.

If you aren't gonna post decent scans/photos, that's cool but leave your rules loose enough to accommodate your own lack of effort.

currently annoyed at a lister who has a book I want listed at a fair price, but has only displayed a photo of the book that cuts off part of the book.

I'd pull the trigger, but the OP has a "no returns on CGC books" policy listed in his rules.

And Im not gonna pull the trigger on a book I cant at least see 100% of the cover.

Weak.

If you aren't gonna post decent scans/photos, that's cool but leave your rules loose enough to accommodate your own lack of effort.

Some folks are quite successful selling CGC graded books with no scans/pictures at all.....

Just sayin' :whistle:

Weak.

Some folks are quite successful selling CGC graded books with no scans/pictures at all.....

:)

Heck, some sell them before they've been slabbed...others before they own them.

Someday someone will invent the Grading Option where Puts and Calls are bought and sold.

Weak.

and when we're talking high grade books Im less concerned (the difference between one 9.4 and another is not that large as compared to how widely two 4.0s can look presentation-wise) but this was a VG book that had a picture cut off before the bottom of the book and I was leary to pull the trigger not knowing what laid beneath (distributor spray? water staining across the entire bottom edge? rat chew?)

my point being if you are going to have a hard no-return policy, then post enough visual information for buyers to make a safe and informed decision. Especially when dealing with raw and/or lower grade books.

Huh.

hm

My 2c

I had two other people PM me yesterday thinking the same exact thing. That this was someone trying to make a point. Especially with the "Slickrick" handle, and posting hot, key books at below-market prices.

With the discussion about the PL approach not being worth the effort, someone may have been making up a situation to see what would happen. Most probably in that case, "Slickrick" wouldn't provided payment information, stop responding to PMs, and buyers would bring his name to the PL. Then the "so what" question would come up.

Just posting this here for the record and so no one misses it.

slickrickcomics - banned

"shill"