• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

HoS worthy?

hm

Seems like it could be in the community's best interests. hm

I don't want to say what would really be in the community's best interest.

This REALLY makes me angry...

:mad:

-slym

And his playing the "I didn't know the rules of e-bay" card just shows he knew what he was doing was wrong. :facepalm:

Heres an outside the box kind of suggestion...I'm not sure which thread it was in where everyone is talking about having a post limit or have to be a member for so long before selling limit, but what if we made everyone who wanted to sell on the boards, have to upload a picture of their drivers license? Real Name goes with the board member name, and helps prevent them from coming back under a different board name and selling again.

Maybe its going to far, but its what its coming to. Could even make it so you have to post a small thumbnail pic of your license as part of your "rules section" when making a sales thread. That will bring a little accountability to the thread no?

Heres an outside the box kind of suggestion...I'm not sure which thread it was in where everyone is talking about having a post limit or have to be a member for so long before selling limit, but what if we made everyone who wanted to sell on the boards, have to upload a picture of their drivers license? Real Name goes with the board member name, and helps prevent them from coming back under a different board name and selling again.

Maybe its going to far, but its what its coming to. Could even make it so you have to post a small thumbnail pic of your license as part of your "rules section" when making a sales thread. That will bring a little accountability to the thread no?

How can you verify it is their real name? I'm all for trying to prevent scams but post count, length of time on the boards and other ideas are not fool-proof in such an open forum as this.

CGC would never let it happen. They wouldn't want to be held responsible for possible identity fraud cases. Besides, how would you know that the license that was posted was the acutal person? It's not like I.D.'s are verified when people sign up for the boards.

yea may not be the best idea then, maybe the person has to include a picture of themselves holding a thread sale sign with a date on it or something? I think this is the direction sales threads need to go in, accountability, this way they cant hide behind their computers at least we have pictures to go with the name posted.

yea may not be the best idea then, maybe the person has to include a picture of themselves holding a thread sale sign with a date on it or something? I think this is the direction sales threads need to go in, accountability, this way they cant hide behind their computers at least we have pictures to go with the name posted.

You still run into the problem of not knowing if the picture they used is of that person or not. Someone could just use a picture of someone else and instead of their real picture.

While I'm all for accountability; I just don't see it happening; in an open forum; that people are allowed to post items up for sale.

Psy

You still run into the problem of not knowing if the picture they used is of that person or not. Someone could just use a picture of someone else and instead of their real picture.

While I'm all for accountability; I just don't see it happening; in an open forum; that people are allowed to post items up for sale.

Psy

what about setting criteria, like your first 5 sales have to be $10 and below. This would establish how well the noob: ships, rates on condition, follows through on 5 transactions, and the truth of word to their sale.

think of it as passing their first 30 or 90 days of new hire employement. At least 5 different boardies will have an encounter and experience with the noob.

Plus i'm tired of seeing new accounts <10 posts selling $1000+ valued books as a joke.

Edited by heymikesays

Psy

what about setting criteria, like your first 5 sales have to be $10 and below. This would establish how well the noob: ships, rates on condition, follows through on 5 transactions, and the truth of word to their sale.

think of it as passing their first 30 or 90 days of new hire employement. At least 5 different boardies will have an encounter and experience with the noob.

Plus i'm tired of seeing new accounts <10 posts selling $1000+ valued books as a joke.

Who would monitor this? Someone or some technology would need to count up their sales threads and ensure that no offering is over a certain amount.

Plus I have been here since 2007. In the sales sections, I am mainly a buyer but have run a few sales threads. Maybe 4 or 5 total over that time. Would someone like me then fall back under that mandate?

Not trying to be difficult to your suggestion at all. Other than buyers doing their diligence, asking questions, and using some common sense; I don't know of a good way to curb scammers.

Here's my license.

1361358037_80714578.jpg

Here's my license.

1361358037_80714578.jpg

i do picture you to look like that :kidaround:

Not trying to be difficult to your suggestion at all. Other than buyers doing their diligence, asking questions, and using some common sense; I don't know of a good way to curb scammers.

On a free board with no type of verification it is impossible. Most people until they are around enough would have no idea who they were talking to unless a sale was made.

If you truly want to keep out scammers only a few ways to deter because nothing is perfect.

1. Make the site a membership site in order to sell or buy and you have to register with a valid credit card which unless a stolen card would give the knowledge of who the person actually was.

2. Before being allowed to sell an application must be filled out and they must be approved to sell. A small group of 3 on a semi rotating basis would work well for the approval committee.

3. Drivers License I don't think would work because not many people would place that amount of information online although more is required to buy and sell on ebay....hmm

4. Change the laws and allow for public stoning of scammers. Public shaming is already being done but if they are a true scammer they really wont even care.

5. Have a 3rd party verification system/website that issues sellers a personal ID number alias that could be looked up and tracked down.

6. Don't buy and sell on the boards as it is a risk.....I just got burned for 90 bucks would never have guessed it from post counts or anything like that but it happens unless you want to all chip in and we can have monthly enforcers on the payroll that would go to the scammers home and point out the error of their ways and how much more happier they would be once those books or money was out of their possession.

blah nuff typing

4. Change the laws and allow for public stoning of scammers. Public shaming is already being done but if they are a true scammer they really wont even care.

Yeah, most of the time they just change their name in hopes people won't notice, and try again at some point.

:whistle:

-slym

Hate all this happened to jop (John) :(

Honestly the ONLY way you can really protect yourself with online transactions is by paying with a credit card through Paypal.

This isn't foolproof either... but we as buyers should know that it's pretty much the safest way available to us right now.

Unless you really know who you are buying from, other payment choices... including Paypal Personal, should never be an option to pay with.

I personally will not use Paypal Personal or any other payment option that doesn't involve protection through my credit card company for a larger ticket internet purchase... ever. I see no real reason why a unproven seller worth his weight in pogs cannot allow this. I would prefer even seasoned sellers allow this as well, but that is their choice and then my choice to deal with them.

That statement above doesn't mean I'm stating that they are bad, unscrupulous sellers, but they need to know that isn't that 3% charge you get from Paypal worth putting your buyers mind's at ease when they are handing you potentially thousands of dollars? I think it is... and I think that the safer a buyer feels when dealing with you... the more likely he is going to continue to shop with you.

Sad thing is even when you think you know who you're dealing with, they are just one bad cup of coffee away from snapping and screwing you out of your money :( I hate pointing that out, but it's an unfortunate fact of the world we live in.

All the discussion about post counts, time frames to begin buying and selling, etc isn't going to help a hill of beans concerning transactions here and alternative payment options. Arch and the powers that be have made it as safe as they possibly can within the confines of basically a chat board. I'd say they assume that common sense will prevail here and we will be able to manage it ourselves.

I hate it when good folks like John ( or anybody for that matter ) get taken concerning an internet sale, its hard enough to have faith in any payment system when this type of thing happens. :(

Use your credit card through Paypal to protect yourself until a proven, better option comes along.

My suggestion is that If you don't already have report with a seller and they request a form of payment other than regular PayPal figure out what 103% of the number is and offer to send them that amount via PayPal if they decline,its a scam.

Honestly the ONLY way you can really protect yourself with online transactions is by paying with a credit card through Paypal.

This isn't foolproof either... but we as buyers should know that it's pretty much the safest way available to us right now.

Unless you really know who you are buying from, other payment choices... including Paypal Personal, should never be an option to pay with.

I personally will not use Paypal Personal or any other payment option that doesn't involve protection through my credit card company for a larger ticket internet purchase... ever. I see no real reason why a unproven seller worth his weight in pogs cannot allow this. I would prefer even seasoned sellers allow this as well, but that is their choice and then my choice to deal with them.

That statement above doesn't mean I'm stating that they are bad, unscrupulous sellers, but they need to know that isn't that 3% charge you get from Paypal worth putting your buyers mind's at ease when they are handing you potentially thousands of dollars? I think it is... and I think that the safer a buyer feels when dealing with you... the more likely he is going to continue to shop with you.

Sad thing is even when you think you know who you're dealing with, they are just one bad cup of coffee away from snapping and screwing you out of your money :( I hate pointing that out, but it's an unfortunate fact of the world we live in.

All the discussion about post counts, time frames to begin buying and selling, etc isn't going to help a hill of beans concerning transactions here and alternative payment options. Arch and the powers that be have made it as safe as they possibly can within the confines of basically a chat board. I'd say they assume that common sense will prevail here and we will be able to manage it ourselves.

I hate it when good folks like John ( or anybody for that matter ) get taken concerning an internet sale, its hard enough to have faith in any payment system when this type of thing happens. :(

Use your credit card through Paypal to protect yourself until a proven, better option comes along.

One thing...There are certain folks I would Pay with Pay Pal personal because I have that level of comfort. Rupp, Bosco, Joey, Harvey and just about anyone I have had multiple dealings with.

New buyers or sellers, No way.

One thing...There are certain folks I would Pay with Pay Pal personal because I have that level of comfort. Rupp, Bosco, Joey, Harvey and just about anyone I have had multiple dealings with.

New buyers or sellers, No way.

I agree there are a few that I would trust that way having multiple dealings with in the past Rupp,Mayor,Harvey, Hector/Jsilvejanet,Sky/Shar Possibly more but right now without checking my records those people I would be comfortable with dealing high dollar items.

And well even though I didn't have any past dealings with my seller he had a good track record more people bought in his thread and he had more posts than I did and even more kudos.

So I guess you NEVER really know just have to go with your gut I guess. My bad I was concerned about Amazon but thought I had protection through Amazon. Lesson learned sooner or later i will get my money or books that much is for sure.

Cripes... I see some sales of raw X-Men that I tried selling the same issues of, and see why I wasn't successful. I thought 40-50% off of the OSPG would be a competitive price.

Boy was I wrong. Seems the OSPG isn't that good of a price guide if I get no interest at all trying to sell books at half of listed prices for grade.

-slym

Cripes... I see some sales of raw X-Men that I tried selling the same issues of, and see why I wasn't successful. I thought 40-50% off of the OSPG would be a competitive price.

Boy was I wrong. Seems the OSPG isn't that good of a price guide if I get no interest at all trying to sell books at half of listed prices for grade.

-slym

It's because the supply of X-Men books more than meets the demand. Unless the books are UHG, the books from 150-on will only sell for a few dollars each at most (common issues, not keys or semi-keys). In the case of Uncanny X-Men, the OSPG is pretty useless for 150 and up issues. I don't even bother with guide prices for those books, $1-5 each depending on grade and issue is my target for those books.