• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

It gets tiring seeing the same suggestions year after year after year. People used to say that when I started here, and they were right.

Is that just jaded-vet syndrome speaking?

So they're bad suggestions year after year, or maybe there's some merit to them, hence they keep coming up again and again?

Sounds like the same complaints are cycling through, so...

(shrug)

And this is the same response, year after year...

Oy, it's like Groundhog Day meets No Exit!! :ohnoez:

1328206526-tumblr_lyrou2rxua1qzk73xo1_500.gif

Well, if the community is content spinning its wheels, then maybe stop all the kvetching?

I think the idea of a custom title, only for HOS, would be great. PL would be too much of a pain in the @ss for mods to add and remove and keeping track.

Seems like HOS is a rare occasion and once set, aside from menace, would be somewhat of a permanent, well-deserved designation.

All of that being said - I think Arch and the mods have made it clear that it is the community that will police the sales threads and they don't want the headache of it. And I don't blame them. If you were in their position, would you want to always be monitoring and updating statuses. They view this as an adult forum and people should be able to handle these matters as adults. (shrug)

Well, if the community is content spinning its wheels, then maybe stop all the kvetching?

I think the idea of a custom title, only for HOS, would be great. PL would be too much of a pain in the @ss for mods to add and remove and keeping track.

Seems like HOS is a rare occasion and once set, aside from menace, would be somewhat of a permanent, well-deserved designation.

All of that being said - I think Arch and the mods have made it clear that it is the community that will police the sales threads and they don't want the headache of it. And I don't blame them. If you were in their position, would you want to always be monitoring and updating statuses. They view this as an adult forum and people should be able to handle these matters as adults. (shrug)

Hey, a constructive response! Yay! :hi:

It seems that the current fuss is over alerting folks to irredeemable boardies who are basically giving the bird to the PL and HoS, and the community along with it. You can either crowd source attempts at micro-policing activities, which just seems to be causing an angst all its own, or you can attempt to facilitate the whole caveat emptor thing. Buyers needs to be on their toes, but what's wrong with making things a bit easier for would-be buyers?

Succinct information threads in each sales forum would make it much simpler for folks to inform themselves, and also disarm the reprobates to a degree. And editing the first post of the PL thread would take mere moments and steer to the information that they're actually after. It's a technique that worked well for me and my peers when I was modding a large board.

I suppose we can just meme it all away and get lost in eye-rolls and facepalms, but people seems to be spending a lot of time talking, and apparently talking about the same-same for some time now, but not a lot of doing. Other than to talk about the talking, de-legitimize arguments based simply on the fact that they've been posed before, and other illogical nonsense. Of course, if there are reasons to consider elsewise, that'd be welcome, though it'd also be more talking about talking, but it seems people are more interested, for the most part, in one-liners and dashing off to meme-generators than doing something substantive.

Anyhow, I need to go re-bag some comics that came in recently. You gents and ladies have a great weekend.

Hey, a constructive response! Yay! :hi:

It seems that the current fuss is over alerting folks to irredeemable boardies who are basically giving the bird to the PL and HoS, and the community along with it. You can either crowd source attempts at micro-policing activities, which just seems to be causing an angst all its own, or you can attempt to facilitate the whole caveat emptor thing. Buyers needs to be on their toes, but what's wrong with making things a bit easier for would-be buyers?

Succinct information threads in each sales forum would make it much simpler for folks to inform themselves, and also disarm the reprobates to a degree. And editing the first post of the PL thread would take mere moments and steer to the information that they're actually after. It's a technique that worked well for me and my peers when I was modding a large board.

I suppose we can just meme it all away and get lost in eye-rolls and facepalms, but people seems to be spending a lot of time talking, and apparently talking about the same-same for some time now, but not a lot of doing. Other than to talk about the talking, de-legitimize arguments based simply on the fact that they've been posed before, and other illogical nonsense. Of course, if there are reasons to consider elsewise, that'd be welcome, though it'd also be more talking about talking, but it seems people are more interested, for the most part, in one-liners and dashing off to meme-generators than doing something substantive.

Anyhow, I need to go re-bag some comics that came in recently. You gents and ladies have a great weekend.

In five years, when you realize that things are working well and don't need to be changed, and that the most useful change suggestions have been shot down by the mods, I will welcome you to the eye-roll club. In the meantime, here's a flower: :foryou:

I think the idea proposed not too long ago:

a simple, templated sentence or :news: alert, , including a link to the member's addition to the HOS/PL, approved by the mods similar to the sales guidelines template, that can be used ONCE in a sales thread run by a HOS or PL to alert would-be buyers and also keep multiple people from jumping in and "threadkrapping" is the most effective idea yet.

The mods wouldn't have to be overly involved, the community would still police itself, there wouldn't be multiple comments in a sales thread :makepoint: which could result in strikes (and thus more mod involvement) and potential buyers would be put on notice that you deal with this member at your own risk. :cloud9:

It gets tiring seeing the same suggestions year after year after year. People used to say that when I started here, and they were right.

So they're bad suggestions year after year, or maybe there's some merit to them, hence they keep coming up again and again?

(shrug)

As I read this, I imagine Speedy to be Sgt. Barnes from Platoon, face covered with scars, stumbling drunk into the barracks after overhearing the grunts talking about changing things.

"You boys talkin' bout rules? What do you know about rules?!"

We talked about that a while back, but Bosco said he had already proposed something to Arch and Mod 0 and they said it would not be approved.

That's too bad. How about like you suggested - a small group PM chain and a united effort to work something out? A little "committee" if you will? (shrug)

(shrug)

As I read this, I imagine Speedy to be Sgt. Barnes from Platoon, face covered with scars, stumbling drunk into the barracks after overhearing the grunts talking about changing things.

"You boys talkin' bout rules? What do you know about rules?!"

:acclaim:

We talked about that a while back, but Bosco said he had already proposed something to Arch and Mod 0 and they said it would not be approved.

That's too bad. How about like you suggested - a small group PM chain and a united effort to work something out? A little "committee" if you will? (shrug)

What exactly is the problem you're trying to solve?

Your answer is five posts up. :baiting:

Speedy pins Harvey against the wall, holding a knife to his face

"Don't do it Barnes! Ten years you been enlisted. Ten years you climbed those walls, man!"

I can do Platoon quotes all day...

:insane:

This?

I think the idea proposed not too long ago:

a simple, templated sentence or :news: alert, , including a link to the member's addition to the HOS/PL, approved by the mods similar to the sales guidelines template, that can be used ONCE in a sales thread run by a HOS or PL to alert would-be buyers and also keep multiple people from jumping in and "threadkrapping" is the most effective idea yet.

The mods wouldn't have to be overly involved, the community would still police itself, there wouldn't be multiple comments in a sales thread :makepoint: which could result in strikes (and thus more mod involvement) and potential buyers would be put on notice that you deal with this member at your own risk. :cloud9:

Or (more probably) this? This sounds like a solution (already shot down by the mods I believe), but to what exactly? What's the actual problem?

Speedy pins Harvey against the wall, holding a knife to his face

"Don't do it Barnes! Ten years you been enlisted. Ten years you climbed those walls, man!"

I can do Platoon quotes all day...

:insane:

lol This is definitely my favorite impression I've ever given someone. Usually I'm the guy getting pinned to the wall (:shy:), or the guy eating barbecue to the side, watching impassively.

*sigh*

If there is an effective way to deal with HOS/PL sellers spitting in the face of the community and flipping the bird to the list. How to note something in their sales threads to put potential buyers on notice. (shrug)

And I KNOW it was shot down - I guess Bosco had said that he mentioned it to Arch sometime ago and it was shot down, I suggested, why not a "committee" work on something via PM. Something concrete with organization to present to Arch. Another pitch?

I'm sure the sales thread infraction template didn't always exist and was implemented after some discussion.