• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

*sigh*

If there is an effective way to deal with HOS/PL sellers spitting in the face of the community and flipping the bird to the list. How to note something in their sales threads to put potential buyers on notice. (shrug)

And I KNOW it was shot down - I guess Bosco had said that he mentioned it to Arch sometime ago and it was shot down, I suggested, why not a "committee" work on something via PM. Something concrete with organization to present to Arch. Another pitch?

I'm sure the sales thread infraction template didn't always exist and was implemented after some discussion.

Why not just post in the sales thread that the seller in on the HOS/PL? Pretty sure this is what the mods mean by us policing ourselves.

If there is an effective way to deal with HOS/PL sellers spitting in the face of the community and flipping the bird to the list.

I'll help be the Devil's advocate here. How is it that an HOS/PL member starting a sales thread is "spitting in the face of the community"? It's not against marketplace guidelines for them to start a sales thread.

Rather, it's up to the community to ignore those sales threads, and perhaps direct scorn towards those members who choose to do business with HOS/PL sellers...but that's a different matter entirely...

*sigh*

If there is an effective way to deal with HOS/PL sellers spitting in the face of the community and flipping the bird to the list. How to note something in their sales threads to put potential buyers on notice. (shrug)

And I KNOW it was shot down - I guess Bosco had said that he mentioned it to Arch sometime ago and it was shot down, I suggested, why not a "committee" work on something via PM. Something concrete with organization to present to Arch. Another pitch?

I'm sure the sales thread infraction template didn't always exist and was implemented after some discussion.

Why not just post in the sales thread that the seller in on the HOS/PL? Pretty sure this is what the mods mean by us policing ourselves.

Threadcrapping

*sigh*

platoon-eliasdeath.jpg

Why not just post in the sales that that the seller in on the HOS/PL?

Because those sales threads are not in violation of marketplace guidelines; therefore, posting this information in their threads is threadcrapping under the current system.

*sigh*

Threadcrapping

Which is kinda silly, since we're supposed to be policing the sales threads ourselves. At least, that's my understanding.

*sigh*

Threadcrapping

Which is kinda silly, since we're supposed to be policing the sales threads ourselves. At least, that's my understanding.

I agree. I suppose the tone and method of sharing this notice could be considered threadcrapping but I do not see a simple "Just a heads up, this seller is on the HOS/PL" as threadcrapping.

*sigh*

Okay cool, there's the problem. I think it's handled pretty well as is. solarcadet 1 has to deal with tons of hassles quite frequently, and despite his bravado claims, his ability to buy/sell here is limited because of his inclusion in the HoS. His sales thread did not go anywhere (leaving the question of whether he actually wanted it to aside).

And this is one of my two points:

1. Things are working pretty well as is. The mods have set down rules around what we can and can't do, and we're functioning well within those rules.

2. It cracks me up (or irritates me, depending on time of the month) to see the same solutions proposed to the same (non) problems year after year. I was proposing this same stuff forever ago, and the grumpy old-timers were replying grumpily to me, and I was calling them grumpy. Now I'm grumpy too. lol

Policing sales threads requires a rule to be broken...otherwise, there's no policing to be done. HOS/PL sellers are not breaking any rules by starting sales threads, just like roofers who have BBB ratings of "D" aren't breaking any laws by continuing to advertise their roofing services.

If there is an effective way to deal with HOS/PL sellers spitting in the face of the community and flipping the bird to the list.

I'll help be the Devil's advocate here. How is it that an HOS/PL member starting a sales thread is "spitting in the face of the community"? It's not against marketplace guidelines for them to start a sales thread.

Rather, it's up to the community to ignore those sales threads, and perhaps direct scorn towards those members who choose to do business with HOS/PL sellers...but that's a different matter entirely...

That's not a different matter, that's the solution that's in place, and it works okay.

Fair enough, in general - you're right. But you KNOW solarcadet's weak attempt at a sales thread w/o adequate scans or responses to requests for back cover scans was a ploy. That was, as previously discussed, a big FU and an attempt to have many people get strikes.

The idea of a custom title for a HOS/PL member was discussed. It's not happening. So, what other solution is there? If you want to have 10 members jump into someone's sales thread like what happened yesterday, the mods are left with the headache deciding whether to dish out strikes or not. Why does this have to be a repeat issue? Seems that it's equivalent to hitting yourself in the hand repeatedly with a hammer.

Why not just deal with it now for the future. Come up with small group discussions sans memes or shenanigans. Come up with a templated message - just like the sales thread infraction notice. Clean, simple. "Attention: :news: This member is on the PL/HOS List." and link their addition to the list.

Solves several problems with one swoop. Now you don't have 8 vigilantes posting in a sales thread and the buttons humped all over the place. You don't have a buyer misguidedly taking a book and then claiming later he didn't know that the person was on the HOS/PL. Less mos involvement, more straightforward, clear community policing. Right now it seems like a very gray, undecided issue. (shrug)

Look...HOS/PL sellers starting sales threads sucks - no doubt about it. I wish we could kick those threads out. But, right now we can't. This is written in the marketplace forum in plain view:

"A probation list for bad transactions is maintained by the community. You are still responsible for your own transactions."

Maybe make it BOLD, RED, and add "For the love of community, Pretty Please click this link to check the PL/HOS list before engaging in a transaction; otherwise, you're a insufficiently_thoughtful_person."

Hey, I'm with you. I know how to look at the HOS/PL.

But I'm just suggesting things in response to a few others who were rehashing custom titles or badges or whatever. And if or in what manner people should post in a sales thread started by HOS/PL members. There are noobs everyday and we'll run into the "I didn't know" problem sooner rather than later unless the more knowledgeable or experienced members take some manner of responsibility in community policing.

I remember someone ( :whistle: ) just saying that "Swick took one for the team"... why should that even be a concern or thought if there was something in place to post something simple in a sales thread. A quick, concise warning. That way you eliminate ANY excuse from a potential buyer of "I didn't know".

Hey, I'm with you. I know how to look at the HOS/PL.

But I'm just suggesting things in response to a few others who were rehashing custom titles or badges or whatever. And if or in what manner people should post in a sales thread started by HOS/PL members. There are noobs everyday and we'll run into the "I didn't know" problem sooner rather than later unless the more knowledgeable or experienced members take some manner of responsibility in community policing.

I remember someone ( :whistle: ) just saying that "Swick took one for the team"... why should that even be a concern or thought if there was something in place to post something simple in a sales thread. A quick, concise warning. That way you eliminate ANY excuse from a potential buyer of "I didn't know".

It's been shot down by the mods.

I know. Bosco said that. He PM'ed Arch.

I'm asking - was there ever a committee or a concerted, group effort to bring something concrete to the table. Something discussed, written out and presented in full.

Sharon discussed started a committee of sorts to try once more. Whatever came of that?

I know. Bosco said that. He PM'ed Arch.

I'm asking - was there ever a committee or a concerted, group effort to bring something concrete to the table. Something discussed, written out and presented in full.

Sharon discussed started a committee of sorts to try once more. Whatever came of that?

Go for it. Pick some folks, PM them, and see what you come up with.