• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I wasn't even saying me! I've only been here a year. :shy: I meant respected, veteran Boardies. :foryou:

Fresh eyes are often a good addition. I think you'd provide a great set of fresh eyes, and edowens is a good, balanced thinker who could contribute, too.

So respected vets, some fresh eyes, see what you come up with. The worst that happens is you're told no and life goes on.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

I meant respected, veteran Boardies. :foryou:

Isn't that an oxymoron?

:jokealert:

however I propose 2 groups

one of all vets and one of all n00bs

on the n00b team, I would like some of our more colorful n00bs like GIJOE, META, Hus etc

I really want to know what this new generation comes up with.

I meant respected, veteran Boardies. :foryou:

Isn't that an oxymoron?

:jokealert:

however I propose 2 groups

one of all vets and one of all n00bs

on the n00b team, I would like some of our more colorful n00bs like GIJOE, META, Hus etc

I really want to know what this new generation comes up with.

:signfunny:

It cracks me up (or irritates me, depending on time of the month) to see the same solutions proposed to the same (non) problems year after year. I was proposing this same stuff forever ago, and the grumpy old-timers were replying grumpily to me, and I was calling them grumpy. Now I'm grumpy too. lol

Okay cool, there's the problem. I think it's handled pretty well as is. solarcadet 1 has to deal with tons of hassles quite frequently, and despite his bravado claims, his ability to buy/sell here is limited because of his inclusion in the HoS. His sales thread did not go anywhere (leaving the question of whether he actually wanted it to aside).

And this is one of my two points:

1. Things are working pretty well as is. The mods have set down rules around what we can and can't do, and we're functioning well within those rules.

On a more serious note, I think Speedy is dead-on with what he's been saying. While I agree there's merit with the suggestions to have some sort of template to post in a PL/HOS's sales thread as a warning, as has been pointed out, that looks to be a non-starter. While revisiting the idea at a later date isn't a terrible idea, the risk becomes that eventually the people running this site decide that having the sales forums are worth the headaches they cause.

Someone wiser than me posted somewhere about the risk of killing the golden goose by turning the sales forums into an area that the mods are spending an inordinate amount of time policing (whether that be from button-humping minor sales infractions to threadcrapping to whatever the case may be). As someone who now buys here almost exclusively and who has found the forums to be, aside from the occasional bad apple or scamster that pops up, a far better alternative to the wild west of eBay, that would be a terrible result and akin to nuking your pantry with explosives to get rid of a couple of sugar ants.

Speedy points out that someone like SC has had his sales audience hampered significantly from the debate that landed him on the HOS and his inclusion there. I would agree 100%, and think that's been the case with everyone that's ended on those lists. I think there's a number of marketplace patrons out there like myself -- people who don't normally chime in vocally to the ongoing debates here, but who pay close attention to who's been offensive in their behavior (I've had SC on ignore for a long time, well before his actual HOS inclusion, as a reminder that he was someone I had no intention of ever wanting to do business with).

The current set-up has no way to eliminate 100% the ability of anyone, even people of SC's ilk, from selling or buying here (and that is the intent of CGC, clearly acknowledged by the We do not monitor buys and sells. Please check out your buyer or seller before you commit to a transaction. Disputes and issues are not the responsibility of the board hosts, you are transacting at your own risk. statement). But what we have in place does work effectively in killing the potential sales to a lot of people like myself -- it just isn't as evident because it's hard to show evidence of people not buying, but I believe it's what happens. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close in the framework provided by CGC that they want to deal with.

I told this to Harvey privately but the issue I have is that in these discussions (at least for the past year) it's always the same people having the discussion.

The majority of the consistent sellers/buyer don't come in here (or least don't discuss) unless they have an issue etc. Most sellers/buyers are doing fine with the current set up, and if we counted the number of transgressions it's less than 5%. I think it's working fine as it is and the real issue is not necessarily the rules etc. I don't believe there should be an overhaul because one person decided to go an post a sales thread.

whoa! I've reach Speedy-D thinking. need to sit down.

I told this to Harvey privately but the issue I have is that in these discussions (at least for the past year) it's always the same people having the discussion.

The majority of the consistent sellers/buyer don't come in here (or least don't discuss) unless they have an issue etc. Most sellers/buyers are doing fine with the current set up, and if we counted the number of transgressions it's less than 5%. I think it's working fine as it is and the real issue is not necessarily the rules etc. I don't believe there should be an overhaul because one person decided to go an post a sales thread.

whoa! I've reach Speedy-D thinking. need to sit down.

It can be pretty intoxicating to reach these heights of enlightenment. I'd love to be able to tell you that you will adjust in time, but it doesn't happen. Man was not created to be so wise...

I assume if these books don't sell, that's a win for the boards and if they do, it's a loss

No. The win would be someone not acting crazy, and from one side of their face stating they work around the HOS - the other side asking to be taken off the HOS.

But if you need to put an "evil board plan" twist on it to feel good, go for it.

c'mon, I did not mean it like that. but if it came across that way I apologize. I meant more that if he sold the book, it would devalue the HOS list as what it represents and that would be a loss for how things would be done moving forward. sorry tired and should have formulated my entire thought so i would avoid being misunderstood.

If anyone even gets a strike for "threadcrapping" from that thread, it would be a loss for the boards overall.

:(

-slym

*sigh*

If there is an effective way to deal with HOS/PL sellers spitting in the face of the community and flipping the bird to the list. How to note something in their sales threads to put potential buyers on notice. (shrug)

And I KNOW it was shot down - I guess Bosco had said that he mentioned it to Arch sometime ago and it was shot down, I suggested, why not a "committee" work on something via PM. Something concrete with organization to present to Arch. Another pitch?

I'm sure the sales thread infraction template didn't always exist and was implemented after some discussion.

Why not just post in the sales thread that the seller in on the HOS/PL? Pretty sure this is what the mods mean by us policing ourselves.

Threadcrapping

Which is kinda silly, since we're supposed to be policing the sales threads ourselves. At least, that's my understanding.

Thank you!

-slym

Brand new poster with a "I'm new here" post:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7383485&fpart=1

2nd post on the boards is selling a pricey book here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7383495#Post7383495

Book is already listed on eBay for 5X the asking and for well under GPA -- and it doesn't look like the same seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Spotlight-5-1972-1st-Appearance-Ghost-Rider-9-4-Pedigree-CGC-Graded-/191048702259?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c7b63d933

:facepalm:

I'm sure it's been asked and answered dozens of times before, but why don't HOS members get insta-banned? Seems like most of the Hall members got there for (basically) stealing $ from other boardies. Wouldn't it benefit the boards to completely wipe our collective hands of people like that?

Another brand new n00b scammer?

Might see you in a week gents. :eyeroll:

I can't believe you'll get slapped down for that.

I love the whole "Let me introduce myself" post in CG followed by the immediate suspicious listing in the Marketplace. As if the thinking was "I can't make my first post on the forum this sales listing -- that will be too suspicious. But if it's my 2nd post ...". :idea::facepalm:

Another brand new n00b scammer?

Might see you in a week gents. :eyeroll:

I can't believe you'll get slapped down for that.

I love the whole "Let me introduce myself" post in CG followed by the immediate suspicious listing in the Marketplace. As if the thinking was "I can't make my first post on the forum this sales listing -- that will be too suspicious. But if it's my 2nd post ...". :idea::facepalm:

lol