• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Good to hear your conversation was positive. Let's hope they follow through on correcting his son's mistakes and everyone here is paid back what is owed.

I had promised to pass along the father's concerns and requests, along with clarifying on the SPAM email he had no idea this had been sent. If he is playing me, then he is the best actor I have ever happened across.

From the concern in his voice, I do not believe this was an act.

Maybe it was Lee with a voice modulator. Hope his testes un-torted.

Probably wouldn't need a voice modulator if it hasn't un-torted ;)

34glvuf.jpg

Yes, this is Bryan. I hear my boy has been giving you guys some trouble. I can tell you I am very saddened and I hope he is forgiven. I am, I mean, he is very sorry and maybe you guys will let me, I mean, him rejoin to sell again. ;)

DO YOU HAVE ANY MOS 18 AND BY THE WAY ATOMIC ROBO IS AWESOME!!!

FIXED

Edited by jsilverjanet

Good to hear your conversation was positive. Let's hope they follow through on correcting his son's mistakes and everyone here is paid back what is owed.

I had promised to pass along the father's concerns and requests, along with clarifying on the SPAM email he had no idea this had been sent. If he is playing me, then he is the best actor I have ever happened across.

From the concern in his voice, I do not believe this was an act.

Probably wouldn't need a voice modulator if it hasn't un-torted ;)

I just assumed the voice would go even higher with all the torting.

34glvuf.jpg

Yes, this is Bryan. I hear my boy has been giving you guys some trouble. I can tell you I am very saddened and I hope he is forgiven. I am, I mean, he is very sorry and maybe you guys will let me, I mean, him rejoin to sell again. ;)

DO YOU HAVE ANY MOS 18 AND BY THE WAY ATOMIC ROBO IS AWESOME!!!

FIXED

:roflmao:

Why do CGC's terms & conditions only call for 16 years old?

See item 3

Check the date on the post, 2002. My guess is at the time they were cool with 16+ but subsequently decided to change to 18+ which is the current age limit. Also note that it does say, "may be modified from time to time".

Why do CGC's terms & conditions only call for 16 years old?

See item 3

Check the date on the post, 2002. My guess is at the time they were cool with 16+ but subsequently decided to change to 18+ which is the current age limit. Also note that it does say, "may be modified from time to time".

I thought after the CAP Freak situation, Arch changed this to 18 years old as a requirement. But I can't find anything stating this in the terms.

When you go to sign up, it asks your birthday. Enter anything less than 18 and you get a message saying basically you are too young for this site. I checked it recently when this whole issue started to make sure.

When you go to sign up, it asks your birthday. Enter anything less than 18 and you get a message saying basically you are too young for this site. I checked it recently when this whole issue started to make sure.

Yep it's the first question you are asked.

Interesting enough, I just got off the phone with GIJOEISAWESOME's dad while driving home from a conference. He was trying to call me today after hearing about the SPAM email. We spoke for about 40 minutes.

• A very nice fellow that sincerely cares about his son's well-being, conduct, and how he is perceived.

• He understands people are upset that a 12 year-old boy led them to believe he was a 40 year-old man, and that some transactions did not go as planned.

• He also feels horrible reading what is being said about his son, though he is trying to balance this with the fact people feel betrayed how Lee represented himself. So he is reading this thread only because it involves his son's reputation, and wanting to understand better what happened that went so bad.

• They are having discussions about how to learn from this experience. And that doesn't mean "how to scam better in the future". It does mean how to represent yourself honestly and with the best intentions.

• Bryan feels horrible that due to this situation, his son is cut off from engaging on this forum, where he could learn about comics while buying, selling and trading.

• He asked for people to be fair and reflect on all the solid transactions Lee has had on here, and not just the ones that were brought up as representative of a scam.

• When I emailed him at his real estate account, he forwarded this to his gmail so as to respond later on. We are now thinking his Gmail account is hacked, and he wants to address this so nobody else experiences the same problems. His story makes sense as when I went back to forward that email to the person wanting to analyze it, the sending email address is from Gmail.

If anything, the father just wanted someone to provide these details so it is clear he was not involved in some scam, Lee was just a tough negotiator that held people to their word on grades, and he hopes people can be more forgiving than vindictive about the situation.

Yours to do with as you see fit. I had promised to pass this along because he was so polite, sincere, and worried about his son's reputation and learning from the situation.

Thanks for gathering the info Nick. I want to preface the upcoming tirade by saying his isn't directed at you in any way.

He's mistaken on a couple of points.

One as Schmidt said, he wasn't holding anyone to proper grades. If he was, when he sold the books he'd sell them at lower grades than when bought, not higher.

Two, the bold section above, it's not because of this situation that he's banned. This forum is for adults, 18 and over, and children do not have the legal capacity to enter in to contracts and transactions. The only way he was able to gain access to this forum was by lying, when he signed up, and stating he was 18.

This "horrible situation" would have never happened had he been honest enough in those first minutes of signing up and realizing this is not a place for a 12 year old.

The father may be on the up and up in this, but the child created some of the most intricately detailed lies to conceal himself and (in some cases) for no reason at all.

The first moment of sign up was a lie.

Who he held himself out to be was a lie.

His hay bailing business? A lie.

His children? A lie.

40 years old? Lie

Frankly, the "solid transactions" we're supposed to dwell upon were all based on a lie. From their most basic origins people believed they were dealing with someone else entirely. How can a transaction be "solid" when it's built on a foundation of pure balderdash?

His argument for leniency and what he wants people to remember when thinking of their interactions sounds a lot like...."Cool Books"....as if all that deception, and the deceptions heaped upon deceptions don't matter because "I got my cool books".

Much of what I'm hearing sounds like "not my kid", which is unfortunate given the length and breadth of the prevarications perpetrated across the entirety of these boards.

I think you make some solid points here.

No offense on you, Nick, but I call BS on the father. Anyone can sound sincere on the phone. His father wasn't saying this on his Facebook posts, when he was commenting on how great his son was by having everyone on the site thinking he was an adult. Also he stated he monitored the email activity, so he knew what BS his son was flinging.

Interesting enough, I just got off the phone with GIJOEISAWESOME's dad while driving home from a conference. He was trying to call me today after hearing about the SPAM email. We spoke for about 40 minutes.

• A very nice fellow that sincerely cares about his son's well-being, conduct, and how he is perceived.

• He understands people are upset that a 12 year-old boy led them to believe he was a 40 year-old man, and that some transactions did not go as planned.

• He also feels horrible reading what is being said about his son, though he is trying to balance this with the fact people feel betrayed how Lee represented himself. So he is reading this thread only because it involves his son's reputation, and wanting to understand better what happened that went so bad.

• They are having discussions about how to learn from this experience. And that doesn't mean "how to scam better in the future". It does mean how to represent yourself honestly and with the best intentions.

• Bryan feels horrible that due to this situation, his son is cut off from engaging on this forum, where he could learn about comics while buying, selling and trading.

• He asked for people to be fair and reflect on all the solid transactions Lee has had on here, and not just the ones that were brought up as representative of a scam.

• When I emailed him at his real estate account, he forwarded this to his gmail so as to respond later on. We are now thinking his Gmail account is hacked, and he wants to address this so nobody else experiences the same problems. His story makes sense as when I went back to forward that email to the person wanting to analyze it, the sending email address is from Gmail.

If anything, the father just wanted someone to provide these details so it is clear he was not involved in some scam, Lee was just a tough negotiator that held people to their word on grades, and he hopes people can be more forgiving than vindictive about the situation.

Yours to do with as you see fit. I had promised to pass this along because he was so polite, sincere, and worried about his son's reputation and learning from the situation.

Thanks for gathering the info Nick. I want to preface the upcoming tirade by saying his isn't directed at you in any way.

He's mistaken on a couple of points.

One as Schmidt said, he wasn't holding anyone to proper grades. If he was, when he sold the books he'd sell them at lower grades than when bought, not higher.

Two, the bold section above, it's not because of this situation that he's banned. This forum is for adults, 18 and over, and children do not have the legal capacity to enter in to contracts and transactions. The only way he was able to gain access to this forum was by lying, when he signed up, and stating he was 18.

This "horrible situation" would have never happened had he been honest enough in those first minutes of signing up and realizing this is not a place for a 12 year old.

The father may be on the up and up in this, but the child created some of the most intricately detailed lies to conceal himself and (in some cases) for no reason at all.

The first moment of sign up was a lie.

Who he held himself out to be was a lie.

His hay bailing business? A lie.

His children? A lie.

40 years old? Lie

Frankly, the "solid transactions" we're supposed to dwell upon were all based on a lie. From their most basic origins people believed they were dealing with someone else entirely. How can a transaction be "solid" when it's built on a foundation of pure balderdash?

His argument for leniency and what he wants people to remember when thinking of their interactions sounds a lot like...."Cool Books"....as if all that deception, and the deceptions heaped upon deceptions don't matter because "I got my cool books".

Much of what I'm hearing sounds like "not my kid", which is unfortunate given the length and breadth of the prevarications perpetrated across the entirety of these boards.

I think you make some solid points here.

No offense on you, Nick, but I call BS on the father. Anyone can sound sincere on the phone. His father wasn't saying this on his Facebook posts, when he was commenting on how great his son was by having everyone on the site thinking he was an adult. Also he stated he monitored the email activity, so he knew what BS his son was flinging.

This whole thing is making me so angry I can feel my testes starting to tort.

I'm going to go bale some hay before I pass the point of no return.

Lee was just a tough negotiator that held people to their word on grades

Well, no.

He bought books at specified grades, claimed they were over-graded, pocketed partial refunds, and then resold them at higher grades than the ones attributed by the original seller. That's not negotiating - that's scamming.

Truer words...

Bosco, I've never seen you to be anything but level-headed, fair and intelligent on the boards.

In this case, however, I believe you purchased a bill of goods - that is IF you are buying the story

Edited by GLCBrad

[*]A very nice fellow that sincerely cares about his son's well-being, conduct, and how he is perceived.

[*]He understands people are upset that a 12 year-old boy led them to believe he was a 40 year-old man, and that some transactions did not go as planned.

[*]He also feels horrible reading what is being said about his son, though he is trying to balance this with the fact people feel betrayed how Lee represented himself. So he is reading this thread only because it involves his son's reputation, and wanting to understand better what happened that went so bad.

[*]They are having discussions about how to learn from this experience. And that doesn't mean "how to scam better in the future". It does mean how to represent yourself honestly and with the best intentions.

[*]Bryan feels horrible that due to this situation, his son is cut off from engaging on this forum, where he could learn about comics while buying, selling and trading.

[*]He asked for people to be fair and reflect on all the solid transactions Lee has had on here, and not just the ones that were brought up as representative of a scam.

[*]When I emailed him at his real estate account, he forwarded this to his gmail so as to respond later on. We are now thinking his Gmail account is hacked, and he wants to address this so nobody else experiences the same problems. His story makes sense as when I went back to forward that email to the person wanting to analyze it, the sending email address is from Gmail.

When I emailed "Bryan" he was polite but evasive.

He would not confirm that it was him or his son that posted on the forums as GIJOEISAWESOME.

He would not give me his ebay ID, which I only asked for after he mentioned his stellar feedback rating as evidence of him not possibly engaging in scamming behavior.

I suggested that he post on the boards (before he was banned) to clear up the situation(s) with board users. He didn't even bother addressing this privately with me. He completely ignored/downplayed his pattern of questionable transactions on the board.

I suggested he offer me a refund regarding our transaction. I said if he could convince me that his (or his son's) actions were made in good faith he could forget the refund. He didn't even address the issue after I made my case and instead sent me a refund and never responded to my final email.

Overall he didn't seem to take what happened here very seriously. I'm not sure if it was because he was playing dumb or truly ignorant of what occurred, he always fell back on his reputation as a good seller when questioned on something, even though it was his actions as a buyer that were suspicious.

Sounds like a scammer that thinks he can combo refund/ignore his way out of deep mess.

I hope Lee is reading this, and takes away that acting the way he did will have people think you are total individual_without_enough_empathy/piece of mess/. If he takes after his father...

:eek:

-slym

This whole thing is making me so angry I can feel my testes starting to tort.

I'm going to go bale some hay before I pass the point of no return.

No no no, throwing hatchets is the only way to relieve stress. I know that's true because a 40 year old with an illegitimate daughter told me that on the internet.

Well, no.

He bought books at specified grades, claimed they were over-graded, pocketed partial refunds, and then resold them at higher grades than the ones attributed by the original seller. That's not negotiating - that's scamming.

Truer words...

Bosco, I've never seen you to be anything but level-headed, fair and intelligent on the boards.

In this case, however, I believe you purchased a bill of goods

pretty certain he was quoting the dad here

Well, no.

Truer words...

I changed my post to read "if you are buying the story"

Well, no.

Truer words...

Correct!