• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Bosco,

Are you sure this is cause and effect? I ask because I had something similar happen to me about a year ago. Somehow my Yahoo account became infected with a virus and sent spam out to everyone with whom I had ever had a conversation. I've also been the recipient of these spam emails from people that had infected accounts. The subject titles were similar to yours. Not to defend this guy, but I wonder if this might only be a coincidence.

It's a fair question.

I am at an all - day conference. But when I arrive back home, I am going to forward the email to someone that wants to analyze it.

I respond to most of my emails via Outlook using Communicator as the Web interface. So I received the response from the "father" that he wanted to talk with me, the message appeared harmless.

When looking at it now via Samsung Galaxy, one of the words in the email contains a hyperlink where there is no need to be one. This may be what allowed for the account details capture.

This is one I have never experienced before. "VERY TRICKY" is putting it lightly.

Another possibility is that the virus did in fact come from the father's account, but he was unaware of the infection. I didn't know my account was infected until someone emailed me back and asked why I was sending them links to websites that sold erectile dysfunction drugs. :)

I saw earlier in the week Speedy-D post a warning when going into the Album Cover/Comics thread about some malware in that thread.

Interesting enough, I just got off the phone with GIJOEISAWESOME's dad while driving home from a conference. He was trying to call me today after hearing about the SPAM email. We spoke for about 40 minutes.

• A very nice fellow that sincerely cares about his son's well-being, conduct, and how he is perceived.

• He understands people are upset that a 12 year-old boy led them to believe he was a 40 year-old man, and that some transactions did not go as planned.

• He also feels horrible reading what is being said about his son, though he is trying to balance this with the fact people feel betrayed how Lee represented himself. So he is reading this thread only because it involves his son's reputation, and wanting to understand better what happened that went so bad.

• They are having discussions about how to learn from this experience. And that doesn't mean "how to scam better in the future". It does mean how to represent yourself honestly and with the best intentions.

• Bryan feels horrible that due to this situation, his son is cut off from engaging on this forum, where he could learn about comics while buying, selling and trading.

• He asked for people to be fair and reflect on all the solid transactions Lee has had on here, and not just the ones that were brought up as representative of a scam.

• When I emailed him at his real estate account, he forwarded this to his gmail so as to respond later on. We are now thinking his Gmail account is hacked, and he wants to address this so nobody else experiences the same problems. His story makes sense as when I went back to forward that email to the person wanting to analyze it, the sending email address is from Gmail.

If anything, the father just wanted someone to provide these details so it is clear he was not involved in some scam, Lee was just a tough negotiator that held people to their word on grades, and he hopes people can be more forgiving than vindictive about the situation.

Yours to do with as you see fit. I had promised to pass this along because he was so polite, sincere, and worried about his son's reputation and learning from the situation.

Lee was just a tough negotiator that held people to their word on grades

Well, no.

He bought books at specified grades, claimed they were over-graded, pocketed partial refunds, and then resold them at higher grades than the ones attributed by the original seller. That's not negotiating - that's scamming.

Well, no.

He bought books at specified grades, claimed they were over-graded, pocketed partial refunds, and then resold them at higher grades than the ones attributed by the original seller. That's not negotiating - that's scamming.

Nick, you went above and beyond and I think that's awesome.

Now for the backhand, this kid is a scammer who needs to be banned.

Interesting enough, I just got off the phone with GIJOEISAWESOME's dad while driving home from a conference. He was trying to call me today after hearing about the SPAM email. We spoke for about 40 minutes.

• A very nice fellow that sincerely cares about his son's well-being, conduct, and how he is perceived.

• He understands people are upset that a 12 year-old boy led them to believe he was a 40 year-old man, and that some transactions did not go as planned.

• He also feels horrible reading what is being said about his son, though he is trying to balance this with the fact people feel betrayed how Lee represented himself. So he is reading this thread only because it involves his son's reputation, and wanting to understand better what happened that went so bad.

• They are having discussions about how to learn from this experience. And that doesn't mean "how to scam better in the future". It does mean how to represent yourself honestly and with the best intentions.

• Bryan feels horrible that due to this situation, his son is cut off from engaging on this forum, where he could learn about comics while buying, selling and trading.

• He asked for people to be fair and reflect on all the solid transactions Lee has had on here, and not just the ones that were brought up as representative of a scam.

• When I emailed him at his real estate account, he forwarded this to his gmail so as to respond later on. We are now thinking his Gmail account is hacked, and he wants to address this so nobody else experiences the same problems. His story makes sense as when I went back to forward that email to the person wanting to analyze it, the sending email address is from Gmail.

If anything, the father just wanted someone to provide these details so it is clear he was not involved in some scam, Lee was just a tough negotiator that held people to their word on grades, and he hopes people can be more forgiving than vindictive about the situation.

Yours to do with as you see fit. I had promised to pass this along because he was so polite, sincere, and worried about his son's reputation and learning from the situation.

Good to hear your conversation was positive. Let's hope they follow through on correcting his son's mistakes and everyone here is paid back what is owed.

Well, no.

he's banned. he needs to be HOSed so if he pops up in the future there is a clear record of his trangressions.

Nothing positive can come from either the Dad or the son at this point.

We compared PM's sent from the GIJOEISAWESOME persona... some were in a very different in syntax than others. Some obviously written by a child... and some by a person with more than 8 years of grammatical study.

I believe two different people were GIJOEISAWESOME... and both knew exactly what they were doing, even though I feel one of those people was heavily influencing the other.

That kid is a scammer who got it honest... via hereditary means.

Thanks for gathering the info Nick. I want to preface the upcoming tirade by saying his isn't directed at you in any way.

He's mistaken on a couple of points.

One as Schmidt said, he wasn't holding anyone to proper grades. If he was, when he sold the books he'd sell them at lower grades than when bought, not higher.

Two, the bold section above, it's not because of this situation that he's banned. This forum is for adults, 18 and over, and children do not have the legal capacity to enter in to contracts and transactions. The only way he was able to gain access to this forum was by lying, when he signed up, and stating he was 18.

This "horrible situation" would have never happened had he been honest enough in those first minutes of signing up and realizing this is not a place for a 12 year old.

The father may be on the up and up in this, but the child created some of the most intricately detailed lies to conceal himself and (in some cases) for no reason at all.

The first moment of sign up was a lie.

Who he held himself out to be was a lie.

His hay bailing business? A lie.

His children? A lie.

40 years old? Lie

Frankly, the "solid transactions" we're supposed to dwell upon were all based on a lie. From their most basic origins people believed they were dealing with someone else entirely. How can a transaction be "solid" when it's built on a foundation of pure balderdash?

His argument for leniency and what he wants people to remember when thinking of their interactions sounds a lot like...."Cool Books"....as if all that deception, and the deceptions heaped upon deceptions don't matter because "I got my cool books".

Much of what I'm hearing sounds like "not my kid", which is unfortunate given the length and breadth of the prevarications perpetrated across the entirety of these boards.

Well, no.

he's banned. he needs to be HOSed so if he pops up in the future there is a clear record of his trangressions.

Get the poll started. I'll vote yes.

And since he's banned... why worry about a vote.

Just put a sub-heading below the probation list called "BANNED" with his name linked to the conversation here.

Easy peesy ;)

I was about to say hm and say that sounds like a good idea. But then some of the members that are already on the HOS are banned as well. (shrug)

Good to hear your conversation was positive. Let's hope they follow through on correcting his son's mistakes and everyone here is paid back what is owed.

I had promised to pass along the father's concerns and requests, along with clarifying on the SPAM email he had no idea this had been sent. If he is playing me, then he is the best actor I have ever happened across.

From the concern in his voice, I do not believe this was an act.

Just put a sub-heading below the probation list called "BANNED" with his name linked to the conversation here.

Easy peesy ;)

I think the HOS vote might be appropriate because technically he was banned for being under 18 years of age. Some might read that and think "Eh, that's not so bad".

The HOS nomination would include details about all his other conduct which - I would think - would definitely give people pause.

I had promised to pass along the father's concerns and requests, along with clarifying on the SPAM email he had no idea this had been sent. If he is playing me, then he is the best actor I have ever happened across.

Maybe it was Lee with a voice modulator. Hope his testes un-torted.

While the emotion of concern may be genuine, the content of his comments - as others have pointed out - seems to suggest that his is either ignorant or in denial of some of the issues with which he should be concerned.

Maybe it was Lee with a voice modulator. Hope his testes un-torted.

34glvuf.jpg

Yes, this is Bryan. I hear my boy has been giving you guys some trouble. I can tell you I am very saddened and I hope he is forgiven. I am, I mean, he is very sorry and maybe you guys will let me, I mean, him rejoin to sell again. ;)

Thanks for gathering the info Nick. I want to preface the upcoming tirade by saying his isn't directed at you in any way.

He's mistaken on a couple of points.

One as Schmidt said, he wasn't holding anyone to proper grades. If he was, when he sold the books he'd sell them at lower grades than when bought, not higher.

Two, the bold section above, it's not because of this situation that he's banned. This forum is for adults, 18 and over, and children do not have the legal capacity to enter in to contracts and transactions. The only way he was able to gain access to this forum was by lying, when he signed up, and stating he was 18.

This "horrible situation" would have never happened had he been honest enough in those first minutes of signing up and realizing this is not a place for a 12 year old.

The father may be on the up and up in this, but the child created some of the most intricately detailed lies to conceal himself and (in some cases) for no reason at all.

The first moment of sign up was a lie.

Who he held himself out to be was a lie.

His hay bailing business? A lie.

His children? A lie.

40 years old? Lie

Frankly, the "solid transactions" we're supposed to dwell upon were all based on a lie. From their most basic origins people believed they were dealing with someone else entirely. How can a transaction be "solid" when it's built on a foundation of pure balderdash?

His argument for leniency and what he wants people to remember when thinking of their interactions sounds a lot like...."Cool Books"....as if all that deception, and the deceptions heaped upon deceptions don't matter because "I got my cool books".

Much of what I'm hearing sounds like "not my kid", which is unfortunate given the length and breadth of the prevarications perpetrated across the entirety of these boards.

I think you make some solid points here.

Easy peesy ;)

I think the HOS vote might be appropriate because technically he was banned for being under 18 years of age. Some might read that and think "Eh, that's not so bad".

The HOS nomination would include details about all his other conduct which - I would think - would definitely give people pause.

I agree with having a HOS vote. Bob Beerbohm was recently put in the HOS even though he had already been banned. In addition, the banning of this person appears not to have been made public.