• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

My strike comment was referring to the name-calling directed towards the mod who deleted the previous post. By the way, it looks like my post had the desired effect. His latest sales thread has been poofed.

Oh, and he wasn't just having difficulty with the rules, he was going aggro on people who mentioned them.

Edited by erazer

So ... he can't be bothered to read the posting guidelines before starting a sales thread. He gets called out on this in his thread and responds in a rather aggressive manner. Button(s) get humped. His thread gets pulled.

And his next step is to start a new thread calling the mod who pulled the thread a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed?

Seems smart.

So ... he can't be bothered to read the posting guidelines before starting a sales thread. He gets called out on this in his thread and responds in a rather aggressive manner. Button(s) get humped. His thread gets pulled.

And his next step is to start a new thread calling the mod who pulled the thread a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed?

Seems smart.

Nothing like a careful and reasoned, keyboard-based, response:

tumblr_ks1y6aWWYy1qzuaedo1_400.gif

well hey, at least you tried, lol. thanks for the welcome anyway.

one last question about shipping. i'm hip to the sandwich method and that is the only way i pack anyway.

however is it acceptable to ship media mail here, or does everything need to be 1st class or priority?

also when i ship up to 4 or 5 comics i use a oversized bubble mailer with sturdy cardboard sandwiching. is that okay or will that get me roasted here? i've used this shipping method the past 2 years on ebay w/out incident, but don't want to anyone here off.

thanks.

Some folks wouldn't like that, but I can tell you I have received shipments from people here packed just as you describe, from what appear to be respected board members. Keep in mind that I tend to buy what I'd call mid-grade and others would call low-grade (VG or F) books that are generally not high priced items, so it's less a possible problem than a 9.8 Gold or Silver Age key would be.

I'd say if you wanted to be safe, state upfront what your packing style is, and possibly give options (offer higher level packaging at a higher level price).

well hey, at least you tried, lol. thanks for the welcome anyway.

one last question about shipping. i'm hip to the sandwich method and that is the only way i pack anyway.

however is it acceptable to ship media mail here, or does everything need to be 1st class or priority?

also when i ship up to 4 or 5 comics i use a oversized bubble mailer with sturdy cardboard sandwiching. is that okay or will that get me roasted here? i've used this shipping method the past 2 years on ebay w/out incident, but don't want to anyone here off.

thanks.

Some folks wouldn't like that, but I can tell you I have received shipments from people here packed just as you describe, from what appear to be respected board members. Keep in mind that I tend to buy what I'd call mid-grade and others would call low-grade (VG or F) books that are generally not high priced items, so it's less a possible problem than a 9.8 Gold or Silver Age key would be.

I'd say if you wanted to be safe, state upfront what your packing style is, and possibly give options (offer higher level packaging at a higher level price).

This is what I typically do. I'll pack things in a box if the buyer wants to pay more for shipping. I'll ship things in a padded envelope if they want to go a cheaper route. Either way, I offer both. I require insurance for anything I am not willing to cover myself.

Since comics do not qualify for media mail, I use first class and/or priority mail, whichever is more economical.

Seems smart.

We have another Brainiac 5 loose on the boards?

What is the deal with taking pictures of raw comics on top of a USPS Priority box? I've seen this with several board members as well as a lot on eBay.

In fairness though, the Cap 115 is photographed on a sexy tiger print bed spread.

Are all these raffles I see popping up allowed on the selling forums? I know you have to have a lottery license to run these in North America, and I'm not sure what's going on. (shrug)

Im betting all the schools, churches and other groups dont get a lottery license....

I'm not a fan of them, but at least here on the forums there's some amount of transparency and the community is small enough that anything sketchy could be sniffed out (unlike the ebay ones where there's no way to know if the seller ever actually "paid out" on the chase prize, or if it magically went to his best friend, while everyone else got dollar bin dreck)

Also its not like the guy running it is a newbie with 12 posts, 1Cool has been around a looooong time.

The reason I am asking it is NOT because of 1Cool, but because once you open the door, the rest of the dirt will automatically flow in. What happens when a 12-post newbie starts a raffle thread, and people buy tickets (and they will, from past experience with newbie sales threads) are you going to be against them then?

And BTW, the only laws are against running a raffle for PERSONAL gain - local charities, churches, non-private schools, etc. are exempt. It's only when a person or a for-profit business runs an unlicensed raffle that it breaks lottery laws.

I like the idea of the raffle.

I don't see anything wrong with established members with a long sales history running something like this, but you can't run around enforcing this and excluding newer members.

I think the raffle/mystery box stuff is fine as long as there is full disclosure. If the buyer knows what they are getting into then the onus is on them.

That being said any of these without full disclosure should not be allowed and shut down/seller tarred and feathered. I see it as a scam.

The reason I am asking it is NOT because of 1Cool, but because once you open the door, the rest of the dirt will automatically flow in. What happens when a 12-post newbie starts a raffle thread, and people buy tickets (and they will, from past experience with newbie sales threads) are you going to be against them then?

And BTW, the only laws are against running a raffle for PERSONAL gain - local charities, churches, non-private schools, etc. are exempt. It's only when a person or a for-profit business runs an unlicensed raffle that it breaks lottery laws.

Lottery laws vary by state; in a few states you don't have to have a license. Since it's internet based I'm not sure how that would work though.

Think what you want. I stand by the stuff I sell. I've only have only had one bad experience on the boards and that was all me. Since then I haven't had anyone complain about the books I've sold or the way I shipped them. I ship in a timely matter and pay fast when buying books. If you don't like what I sale don't buy it.