• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I would think it's going to be a strict "no go". (shrug)

Here's some info on raffle laws per state.

http://www.nals.org/?p=1340

In Mass, if it's for a charitable organization or cause, it's legal and no license is required. Maybe there could be an exception for fundraising for a charity? hm

But's it's Arch's house so it's his decision.

I don't blame Arch at all on this one. Why risk this board to any sort of liability when they do not benefit from it in the first place.

It's kind of crazy that whenever we discuss adding a new guideline/rule, everyone screams that "Don't rock the boat, the For Sale forums are only here by the grace of CGC and could disappear at any time", and then these same people run raffles. doh!

I don't blame Arch at all on this one. Why risk this board to any sort of liability when they do not benefit from it in the first place.

It's kind of crazy that whenever we discuss adding a new guideline/rule, everyone screams that "Don't rock the boat, the For Sale forums are only here by the grace of CGC and could disappear at any time", and then these same people run raffles. doh!

In fairness to the OP the distinction between good and bad raffles may not have been clear. It certainly would not have been to me. There have been "raffles" run in legit sales threads which were premised on each customer getting one ticket towards a prize for every purchase made, granted that is different, but, the difference is not as great as it seems.

There have been "mystery box" sales which premise the sale on one mystery box having a special high value key book, as an incentive to "try your luck". Again, it is different from a straight raffle, but not so different that I would consider it obvious.

I do understand why the Admin stopped the raffle, I'm just saying its not to me such an obvious point of difference. If, say, a thread was premised on everyone buying a "mystery box" of assorted comics, where one box had an AF 15 in it, people would buy mystery boxes without consideration of purchase, but essentially as "lottery tickets" in hopes of winning the real prize.

This suggests to me that the issue is less about process than about the value of prize offered. The more valuable the prize the less distinction there would be between purchase and lottery.

Better to have all or nothing. No grey area, no mess.

Raffles would have been awesome, but I agree with Arch saying no.

Besides, we have the gift/holiday exchange. I think that is epicness, even if some artards complain. Some people just don't get what it is to be charitable and they don't ever deserve any. Mercy either.

In fairness to the OP the distinction between good and bad raffles may not have been clear. It certainly would not have been to me. There have been "raffles" run in legit sales threads which were premised on each customer getting one ticket towards a prize for every purchase made, granted that is different, but, the difference is not as great as it seems.

There have been "mystery box" sales which premise the sale on one mystery box having a special high value key book, as an incentive to "try your luck". Again, it is different from a straight raffle, but not so different that I would consider it obvious.

I do understand why the Admin stopped the raffle, I'm just saying its not to me such an obvious point of difference. If, say, a thread was premised on everyone buying a "mystery box" of assorted comics, where one box had an AF 15 in it, people would buy mystery boxes without consideration of purchase, but essentially as "lottery tickets" in hopes of winning the real prize.

This suggests to me that the issue is less about process than about the value of prize offered. The more valuable the prize the less distinction there would be between purchase and lottery.

Mystery boxes when you show everything included in the boxes is a raffle. I don't see any other way to cut it.

Yep, intent and format rule.

It doesn't matter if it's mystery boxes, mystery bags, mystery wallets, mystery cases, mystery whatever, if its multiple items and the contents are not equivalent and there are winners and losers, then it's a raffle.

Don't get caught up in the "box" part, as raffles in boxes are still raffles.

Anyone else watching 'Dellamortedella' carpetbomb the marketplace? :insane:

He is getting his post count up so that he claim a thread from PIF meh

Joined 1/5/2014.....made 4 posts prior to finding the PIF thread yesterday....then made 22 posts today.

I see nothing to back your statement up! :baiting: