• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Harvey I said the same thing, that if he's doing everything in PMs then he's on the hook to be quick to update threads with book availability status. And if he doesn't intend to honor any :takeit:s in threads then he should state that in his rules since thats the assumed typical practice (even when the OP says to PM with interest)

Yeah, I can understand not being available to update often enough. Like you said - a simple disclaimer that sales are completed ONLY through PM would be good. The SOP in almost every sales thread is that first :takeit: in a thread wins all. There's nothing in the rules that says it has to be that way, but that's the case in almost every thread. He just needs to make his rules much clearer if he intends to deviate from the norm. 2c

Yeah…this can get a bit tricky. Normally everyone here is used to the idea that a :takeit: in the thread overrides all PM negotiations as they usually deal with haggling, stipulations, or just wanting to be kept private..

Yes, dicussions in PM get trumped by a universal 'I'll Take It' in the thread. But, I've had PM discussions with an 'I'll Take It' with a timestamp of 12:01 PM, and someone posts an 'I'll Take It' in the thread at 12:04 - and the thread loses out to the PM. Sucks when that happens because someone gets disappointed, but that should be how it goes: based on time.

For me, it all depends on who pulls the pin first. It requires a seller to be honest in their dealings, but most of the time that's not a problem around here.

Yea that's it. Forgot. Time Stamps.

Unless you specifically say in your thread " :takeit: Trumps All" Like in Speedy-D's sales thread.

I usually do this too.

I changed my sales thread text to read like this:

":takeit: Rules the day over PM negotiations. Time stamps are the be-all, end-all way of determining a sale. If an I'll Take It is posted in a PM and posted in the thread, that book will go to the post with earliest time stamp. "

I think that seems pretty concise.

Why don't sellers require PM negotiations to be finalized in the thread? Either with a thread posted

:takeit:per PM, confirmation by the buyer, or

SOLD per PM, by the seller

Then everything is crystal clear.

The only issue of this, is risk to the PM buyers who do not want to disclose their identity and request the seller to post the SOLD via PM. That risk being that it is sold with an unconditional take it in the thread before the seller is able to post the SOLD.

I don't know him and really am not on either side. but when he posted and mark 1 then put up the "ill take it" it was instant . He had no time and the book had sold from the post above. He should definitely clarify his rules but i think it was just inexperience and not shady ! He got slammed real quick with offers and PM's and mine went unread for a while so he probably was not living on the boards. I think the way he responded to mark was a little rough and communication could have been better and he will probably learn from this sale and get better.

I don't know him and really am not on either side. but when he posted and mark 1 then put up the "ill take it" it was instant . He had no time and the book had sold from the post above. He should definitely clarify his rules but i think it was just inexperience and not shady ! He got slammed real quick with offers and PM's and mine went unread for a while so he probably was not living on the boards. I think the way he responded to mark was a little rough and communication could have been better and he will probably learn from this sale and get better.

I believe there should be some kind of common sense when posting items for sale. Lobo's inability to stay on top of that caused a lot of issues.

If you are posting an item that has the first appearance of a character who stars in a new movie that was just released the weekend of your sale, you better stay real close to the boards.

Kinda like that Superior Spider-Man #29 JSC cover last month…you don't post items that hot and then walk away from the boards, you "live on the boards" for a bit and field PMs and make sales.

As a buyer and seller, I love it when both the buyer and seller are attentive to the sale.

Hello All,

Back from self imposed hibernation

"An angry wife with a mean attorney spells problems"

A Dusty Attic Comics is selling this X-Men 1 Signed by Stan Lee for $2,800.00

I can't afford it yet but it also feels a little fishy to me as the book looks a lot better than what the pricing would indicate.

Here are the pics.

FRONT

1658516_1452112378359873_5931671806988719301_o.jpg

BACK

1932739_1452112501693194_2500381068910008477_o.jpg

I think if you arent going to be on the boards pretty regularly and consistently (as paul747 said, some PMs went unread for a while) then the sales should be conducted in the sales thread since they are all public and everyone can see the status of availability. If you say you have three, then the first three "I'll take it"s get the books and everyone sees it.

If you are online often-all the time then doing transactions via PM (with the OP consistently updating the thread) works.

It just seems like doing the transactions via PM is more work than whatever benefits it might have (and what are those benefits?)

but as we all say.. seller gets to do sales their way...

It wasn't instant. I can't quote the thread now because of the lock. At 7:25 pm the seller posted there was 1 left, and Mark1 posted :takeit: at 5:31 a.m., about 10 hours later.

I have no doubt there are plenty of copies out there and I could save $ buying it later (or had I been smart and bought one before the hype).

The more important issue is how the seller handled his thread and potential customer.

Regardless it's over. I'll buy another copy sole other day.

wow ! 4 pages on this. Read the post right above yours in the thread .... That's when the 3 rd copy sold. The response from the seller of " one left ",was to him . He already claimed that book. The seller worked his prices way down and sent tracking out right away. His attitude might leave a little to be desired but it was not horrible. He needs a little work on his methods but appears to be a legit sale. This book will dip and rise a couple times but in general it's going to go over 200 bucks on the next surge. This character is very interesting. As for wallpapering your walls......good luck on that one. This Book won't go much under 100.00 and at that price it will sell like crazy.

HERE IS THE HYPE ! LOOK OUT GPA!

$261.00 with time left now that's HIGH !

The way that entire thread was handled was confusing. The sale may be legit, that's all well and good, but it's hard to imagine a thread where buyers had less clear indications of what available, when, for how much, etc.

As for the EBay book at $261....there are 2 guys who think it's more than $150. I suggest finding the underbidder and selling your copy to him. lol

One of the two bidders in that auction are going to dodge a MASSIVE bullet...when they lose out on that book.

Once the census bloats, because of sales like that one on Ebay, and people forget about their current love of the Winter Soldier flick, the market is going to be hard pressed to maintain sky high values with a census that's exploded by 10 to 100 times its current size.

I have no doubt there are plenty of copies out there and I could save $ buying it later (or had I been smart and bought one before the hype).

The more important issue is how the seller handled his thread and potential customer.

Regardless it's over. I'll buy another copy sole other day.

wow ! 4 pages on this. Read the post right above yours in the thread .... That's when the 3 rd copy sold. The response from the seller of " one left ",was to him . He already claimed that book. The seller worked his prices way down and sent tracking out right away. His attitude might leave a little to be desired but it was not horrible. He needs a little work on his methods but appears to be a legit sale. This book will dip and rise a couple times but in general it's going to go over 200 bucks on the next surge. This character is very interesting. As for wallpapering your walls......good luck on that one. This Book won't go much under 100.00 and at that price it will sell like crazy.

HERE IS THE HYPE ! LOOK OUT GPA!

$261.00 with time left now that's HIGH !

The way that entire thread was handled was confusing. The sale may be legit, that's all well and good, but it's hard to imagine a thread where buyers had less clear indications of what available, when, for how much, etc.

As for the EBay book at $261....there are 2 guys who think it's more than $150. I suggest finding the underbidder and selling your copy to him. lol

One of the two bidders in that auction are going to dodge a MASSIVE bullet...when they lose out on that book.

Once the census bloats, because of sales like that one on Ebay, and people forget about their current love of the Winter Soldier flick, the market is going to be hard pressed to maintain sky high values with a census that's exploded by 10 to 100 times its current size.

I agree its hype as stated but still don't think when he is forgotten it will slip under a $100.00 and thread could have used better communication as stated. I picked up 2 of those for other people so sadly i can't flip them but if i was going to it would be to that under-bidder ! The one I love is the #14 that cover is just great !

Before the hype and speculation the bru cap was a wanted run, it will be a classic so if you can dig any of these from dollar bins its a good read !

Hello All,

I can't afford it yet but it also feels a little fishy to me as the book looks a lot better than what the pricing would indicate.

Here are the pics.

FRONT

BACK

I don't think we are looking at the same book.... GPA on a yellow label 4.5 Stan signed X-men 1 is 2800. There is no way that book is a 4.5. There are stains by Stan's sig, significant reading creases, large tares on the back cover. No chance of that book being higher than a 3 and GPA on a 3 being 2200 (with last sale being 2850 and makes me think it was an impulse buy)

It wasn't instant. I can't quote the thread now because of the lock. At 7:25 pm the seller posted there was 1 left, and Mark1 posted :takeit: at 5:31 a.m., about 10 hours later.

This is true. However, when the seller responded to me he said the book was sold over the weekend. Which is impossible if he listed the book for sale at 7:25pm on Monday night. hm

I've calmed down since that incident. It's clear the guy has no idea how to sell here. Sure, he might have sold each copy of a hot book but let's see him try to sell that way with books that aren't the flavor of the month.

By the way, the Cap #6 comic (Variant or not) is plentiful in 9.8 (50 and 70 respectively) and i'm willing to bet more copies will be coming out of the woodwork with the popularity of the Winter Soldier movie. We aren't talking 4 digit production runs. More like 40,000-50,000 print runs.

It's a plentiful book. I picked the wrong time to buy but that's the story of my collecting life (most of the time). However, I did have TOS 50 (mandarin), 52 (Black Widow), 57 (Hawkeye) and 75 (1st agent sharon carter and Batroc) before all the movie hype. So, I'm doing okay on having the movie keys....

Hello All,

Here are the pics.

FRONT

BACK

I don't think we are looking at the same book.... GPA on a yellow label 4.5 Stan signed X-men 1 is 2800. There is no way that book is a 4.5. There are stains by Stan's sig, significant reading creases, large tares on the back cover. No chance of that book being higher than a 3 and GPA on a 3 being 2200 (with last sale being 2850 and makes me think it was an impulse buy)

Also those two staples look like they've been thru completely different conditions.

Bottom looks right in terms of discoloration (considering the rest of the book), while the top staple is in MUCH BETTER condition than the rest of the book.

hmmmm

Hello All,

Here are the pics.

FRONT

BACK

ty kindly for the information. I just looked at RAW #1's and their numbers must be way off stating value of 2,800.00 for a 2.0

Hello All,

Here are the pics.

FRONT

BACK

ty kindly for the information. I just looked at RAW #1's and their numbers must be way off stating value of 2,800.00 for a 2.0

FYI: OSPG 2.0 raw is $850 (granted that's in the 40th edition so a few years old).

Curious where you looked for value because Overstreet (2012 is what I have handy) has GD (2.0) Listed at 850 and VG (4.0) listed at 1700. Newkadia has GD (2.0) at 900 and VG (4.0) at 1800. And here is a 2.5 listed on Feebay at 1700 BIN http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-Men-1-Sep-1963-Marvel-CGC-2-5-1st-X-Men-1st-Magneto-Epic-Key-/261397542943?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3cdc81f81f&autorefresh=true

Trainwreck

doh! The sales threads have become the wild west.

The buyer who posted I'll take it....OWNS THAT BOOK now at the price you listed in the thread. If he is offering less than the price then he is breaking the rules.

Do we really think ANYONE is actually receiving a book out of that sales thread? ;)