• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I am sometimes amazed at the persistence of some sellers. Thread after thread with no sales and they still keep going. I get discouraged if I have a no sale thread and don't come back but these guys, they stick with with it.

got bills to pay

necessity is the mother of all invention

Just to provide a little more background information.

I dealt with Frank (F Palma) and his brother Greg years ago. His brother Greg literally stole close to $30,000 in comic books from me. (We have lists written up, signed contracts, he signed over the deed to what turned out to be his mother's car as collateral) I gave him books to consign in his comic store, never got paid for them, and a short time later his comic book store was literally boarded up and closed with no explanation. When I went to Greg's house he refused to return the books, but I would occasionally get phone calls from friends in the area that he was driving around selling the books I consigned to him at odd hours out of the back of his car. I was never paid, and the books were never returned. I have since been approached by others who have told me Greg did the same thing to them both before and after I met him. I also found out later that Greg has a relatively long police record outside of comics as well. He went so far as to threaten Mafia connections paying a visit to my house if any of this information was ever taken to the police. To keep himself protected from lawsuits he kept all of his assets in his Wife's name.

To what extent his older brother Frank was involved (particularly in helping sell the book afterwards) is unclear. I heard a few things, but to be fair to Frank, I won't try to speculate on anything I don't know to be fact.

While I was giving books to Greg to consign for me, we also bought one comic book collection together. A few books from a older gentleman who was a private collector in the area who was not well-known. Greg also introduced me to a friend of his, who later went on (allegedly, according to the Police/FBI - all I know about it is what was on the local news) to break into this private collector's house. This collector was beaten to death during the robbery when all of his comics were stolen.

When I saw the Palma Brothers posting books for sale on the boards my heart about jumped into my throat. Anyway, everyone is welcome to do business with anyone they want to. But I felt obligated to post my experiences.

Above was posted in a now locked thread. Just wondering how does someone get away with that. I would be camped out on their front lawn till I got my books back or started taking pieces of his house, car, landscaping etc... as payment.

Quite a post from a trusted board member. I think it's fair to say you'd have to be nuts to deal with the Palma Brothers....or they'd have to be pretty cool books at a good price.

That's a horrible story and I definitely won't do any biz with them. Crazy.

Just to provide a little more background information.

I dealt with Frank (F Palma) and his brother Greg years ago. His brother Greg literally stole close to $30,000 in comic books from me. (We have lists written up, signed contracts, he signed over the deed to what turned out to be his mother's car as collateral) I gave him books to consign in his comic store, never got paid for them, and a short time later his comic book store was literally boarded up and closed with no explanation. When I went to Greg's house he refused to return the books, but I would occasionally get phone calls from friends in the area that he was driving around selling the books I consigned to him at odd hours out of the back of his car. I was never paid, and the books were never returned. I have since been approached by others who have told me Greg did the same thing to them both before and after I met him. I also found out later that Greg has a relatively long police record outside of comics as well. He went so far as to threaten Mafia connections paying a visit to my house if any of this information was ever taken to the police. To keep himself protected from lawsuits he kept all of his assets in his Wife's name.

To what extent his older brother Frank was involved (particularly in helping sell the book afterwards) is unclear. I heard a few things, but to be fair to Frank, I won't try to speculate on anything I don't know to be fact.

While I was giving books to Greg to consign for me, we also bought one comic book collection together. A few books from a older gentleman who was a private collector in the area who was not well-known. Greg also introduced me to a friend of his, who later went on (allegedly, according to the Police/FBI - all I know about it is what was on the local news) to break into this private collector's house. This collector was beaten to death during the robbery when all of his comics were stolen.

When I saw the Palma Brothers posting books for sale on the boards my heart about jumped into my throat. Anyway, everyone is welcome to do business with anyone they want to. But I felt obligated to post my experiences.

Above was posted in a now locked thread. Just wondering how does someone get away with that. I would be camped out on their front lawn till I got my books back or started taking pieces of his house, car, landscaping etc... as payment.

Quite a post from a trusted board member. I think it's fair to say you'd have to be nuts to deal with the Palma Brothers....or they'd have to be pretty cool books at a good price.

That's a horrible story and I definitely won't do any biz with them. Crazy.

+1

It's amazing how we go from

WTTB! a week ago

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7578980&fpart=1461

to our current situation.

It is a small world after all.

and thread krapping is allowed in this situation because?

I'm pretty sure you aren't referring to me in your statement, correct?

So question…

When buying raw comics from someone. Do you believe it is necessary to ship them in a bag and board?

I just received to shipment from the boards today. One was shipped without boards in the bags and the other had two comics in one bag with one board between them.

I usually don't complain about people's packaging but this website is full of people who know and love comics. These raws I got were not $1 bin drek, they were Bronze goodness! :cloud9:

I also ordered some raws off ebay and they didn't come with boards either, but at least it said so in the auction/ad.

Just a little irritating.

rantrant

Depending what is implied.

I bought a huge lot off ebay, all were bagged and boarded in the images...when I received I didn't get bags and boards and the nm books were now vf at best...seller said suck it, he got a neg and I got a refund.

If the books are ragged and considered readers then boards/bags might not be expected

When I sell lots on ebay where the books average about $1-3 each, I will ship them two comics to one bag/board a lot of times. I've never had a buyer complain about it. Don't most collectors switch out whatever they came in for fresh ones when the get them anyways?

WTTB! a week ago

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7578980&fpart=1461

Which thread crapping? I can't get that link to work for me.

WTTB! a week ago

I'm pretty sure you aren't referring to me in your statement, correct?

no,no. just the thread(s) in question in general

Edited by paperheart

WTTB! a week ago

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7597757&gonew=1#UNREAD

So question…

When buying raw comics from someone. Do you believe it is necessary to ship them in a bag and board?

I just received to shipment from the boards today. One was shipped without boards in the bags and the other had two comics in one bag with one board between them.

I usually don't complain about people's packaging but this website is full of people who know and love comics. These raws I got were not $1 bin drek, they were Bronze goodness! :cloud9:

I also ordered some raws off ebay and they didn't come with boards either, but at least it said so in the auction/ad.

rantrant

I bought a huge lot off ebay, all were bagged and boarded in the images...when I received I didn't get bags and boards and the nm books were now vf at best...seller said suck it, he got a neg and I got a refund.

If the books are ragged and considered readers then boards/bags might not be expected

When I sell lots on ebay where the books average about $1-3 each, I will ship them two comics to one bag/board a lot of times. I've never had a buyer complain about it. Don't most collectors switch out whatever they came in for fresh ones when the get them anyways?

$1-3 books I can understand, it's when the books could be $10 or more raw that the seller should take care of them. You may not get any complaints but it would still be very appreciated by the buyer, they may decide not to voice their disapproval with the lack of bags and boards.

As for me, if they come in a bag and board, I'm probably going to leave them in that bag and board. I don't have time or extra money to do something that "should" have been done by the seller in the first place.

So question…

rantrant

$1-3 books I can understand, it's when the books could be $10 or more raw that the seller should take care of them. You may not get any complaints but it would still be very appreciated by the buyer, they may decide not to voice their disapproval with the lack of bags and boards.

As for me, if they come in a bag and board, I'm probably going to leave them in that bag and board. I don't have time or extra money to do something that "should" have been done by the seller in the first place.

If I am selling 50 low grade books for $15 then I am not putting them in all new Bags and Boards.

High Grade for $50, then yes I would.

So question…

rantrant

If I am selling 50 low grade books for $15 then I am not putting them in all new Bags and Boards.

+1 to this. If it's a large lot of low grade, cheap books, i don't expect each to be bagged/boarded. Bags/Boards cost money.

My link was to this thread and everyone welcoming F Palma in comparison to the comments made by Filter81

Learn to link to indiv posts, noob. :baiting:

Click on the sticky note looking icon of the actual post to which you are wanting to link. That will put its address in your browser's url bar. Copy and past that url into your link instead. That will take you directly to a post.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7600270#Post7600270

WTTB! a week ago

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7597757&gonew=1#UNREAD

:thumbsup:

I don't agree with Thread poo poo but I also think there is more to this story and both parties should bring that discussion here or in the probation thread if it qualifies. As Ed mentioned he went to the comic shop, and his brother was there. Not sure if it's the same brother or if the shop belongs to both of them.

I just found it interesting that within 10 days we went from

DJPINK - thinking it was an April Fools joke, and an issue within that thread about a book being sold via PM (less not forget that)

a couple board members vouching for the brothers, and this seller in particular

acceptance from the boards and additional sales threads completed

an accusation by a long time member/seller

and now a number of board members vowing not to buy from him again.

That's quite a turn of events

Edited by jsilverjanet

My link was to this thread and everyone welcoming F Palma in comparison to the comments made by Filter81

Learn to link to indiv posts, noob. :baiting:

Click on the sticky note looking icon of the actual post to which you are wanting to link. That will put its address in your browser's url bar. Copy and past that url into your link instead. That will take you directly to a post.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7600270#Post7600270

I was going to do that but

a) did not want to think I was singling that individual out and suffer consequences later on :sorry:

As Ed mentioned he went to the comic shop, and his brother was there. Not sure if it's the same brother or if the shop belongs to both of them.

Made one correction above, just to make sure things stay factually accurate. The shop I visited was not a comic shop...not one comic to be found in the entire place. You are technically correct on the other two points...that is, I cannot confirm that the brother I met was the same brother being discussed now. Also, correct that I have no idea who legally owns the shop.

So question…

rantrant

+2…where I by comics, bags, and board, the bag/board cost .15. If I were to buy 50 of them, that's $7.50. On a $15 sale, that's half my profit. If they are in bags and boards already, great but I wouldn't bother on a low sale of a huge lot either.