• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

He necro'd a thread, saw it for a higher price on ebay, THEN posted an "I'll take it" in the thread after he was told he was going to hold on to it, THEN proceeded nominate for the PL, when he could have shrugged it off pretty easily as a miscommunication instead of a negotiating tactic. Seller was probably more 'wrong', but buyer was more spoon-ish in this case.

So let me get this straight, this dickwad buyer actually got ocean on the PL for his own stupid behavior?

Really?

Therein lies the crux.

He necro'd a thread, saw it for a higher price on ebay, THEN posted an "I'll take it" in the thread after he was told he was going to hold on to it, THEN proceeded nominate for the PL, when he could have shrugged it off pretty easily as a miscommunication instead of a negotiating tactic. Seller was probably more 'wrong', but buyer was more spoon-ish in this case.

So let me get this straight, this dickwad buyer actually got ocean on the PL for his own stupid behavior?

Really?

Therein lies the crux.

But did this actually get ocean put on the PL? If so, then the PL is officially a joke in my book.

I assumed ocean got put there for his cross-listing practices.

Really?

Therein lies the crux.

But did this actually get ocean put on the PL? If so, then the PL is officially a joke in my book.

Does anyone know exactly how long it was between Ocean's last post in that thread and the buyers saying he'd take it?

04/09/14 - oceanavekid starts a sales thread.

04/20/14 - Only one book left

04/20/14 - Adds books to the thread.

04/22/14 - "If they don't sell in the next few days i'll close this down and list on the bay."

04/24/14 - Adds NEW books to the thread. "Should have the books in hand next week."

--STAGNANT PERIOD--

04/30/14 6:49PM - Open thread: jawn inquires about one book.

oceanavekid: "Probably going to hold onto it until I'm able to take pictures." --> Seems he doesn't have the book in hand yet from CGC. And the thread is STILL open. No indication that he is not going to sell the books. He already indicated he will sell the books pending scans as he doesn't have the books back from CGC.

jawn: attempts to negotiate the price.

oceanavekid: Price isn't negotiable. It might be priced low. Think I'm going to hold onto it. --> Side question: Are the OTHER books still for sale? (shrug)

05/01/14 2:31AM: oceanavekid still awake posting. Thread still open.

05/01/14 4:14AM: jawn takes the book at oceanavekid's asking price.

I guess this is one of those agree to disagree things. :P:sorry:

:bump:

Edited by HarveySwick

Asking someone to close a sales thread when they are done with their free listing doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

Asking someone to close a sales thread when they are done with their free listing doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

Your right. It doesn't seem unreasonable. When the owner of the site wants to impose some rules, I'll consider them reasonable given the free listing.

04/09/14 - oceanavekid starts a sales thread.

04/20/14 - Only one book left

04/20/14 - Adds books to the thread.

04/22/14 - "If they don't sell in the next few days i'll close this down and list on the bay."

04/24/14 - Adds NEW books to the thread. "Should have the books in hand next week."

--STAGNANT PERIOD--

04/30/14 6:49PM - Open thread: jawn inquires about one book.

oceanavekid: "Probably going to hold onto it until I'm able to take pictures." --> Seems he doesn't have the book in hand yet from CGC. And the thread is STILL open. No indication that he is not going to sell the books. He already indicated he will sell the books pending scans as he doesn't have the books back from CGC.

jawn: attempts to negotiate the price.

oceanavekid: Price isn't negotiable. It might be priced low. Think I'm going to hold onto it. --> Side question: Are the OTHER books still for sale? (shrug)

05/01/14 2:31AM: oceanavekid still awake posting. Thread still open.

05/01/14 4:14AM: jawn pays oceanavekid's asking price.

I guess this is one of those agree to disagree things. :P:sorry:

:bump:

I would correct "jawns pays oceanavekids asking price"

He never paid for the item, he just agreed to :takeit: for the asking price in the thread.

Your right. It doesn't seem unreasonable. When the owner of the site wants to impose some rules, I'll consider them reasonable given the free listing.

You need a rule made to take the few seconds it takes to close a sales thread? (shrug) It just seems like a good business practice to me to avoid any problems.

Really?

Therein lies the crux.

I hear you. Maybe it was for lying and telling Jawn that he was going to keep it, while simultaneously listing it on Ebay. lol

hm that is an interesting point. So the argument for taking Ocean off the PL is that he did not plan on selling it anymore and wanted to keep it. To prove this argument, people are pointing out that the listing must have been done because he had it listed on Ebay.

lol I guess I stand corrected.

I agree it would be nice and good business etiquette to have a seller officially close a sales thread but I would vote against having a rule to make this mandatory. Remember sites like Comiclink allow a seller to list a book and it may not still be available even though it shows unsold. (this applies to their exchange not their auctions, obviously).

Unless that has changed with CL, even if someone hits a BIN the seller can say the book is no longer available.

I'd be more inclined to say if there is no activity x amount of time, the thread should be considered closed.

It all comes down to

1) if someone posts :takeit: in a sales thread where :takeit: rules then is a seller obligated to sell it to them? If not then is it probation worthy?

2) the endless debate of Ocean's intentions which only Ocean knows. If anyone buys something from me I don't say "I think I'll sell it to you" or "I might sell it to you"

hm that is an interesting point. So the argument for taking Ocean off the PL is that he did not plan on selling it anymore and wanted to keep it. To prove this argument, people are pointing out that the listing must have been done because he had it listed on Ebay.

lol I guess I stand corrected.

I don't think people are trying to get him removed from the PL, I think what's being discussed is why he should have never been put there to begin with.

My fear is that by making any argument against those who believe he should be there is the automatic assumption that we have something to gain from him being taken off the list, or that we are in some way supporting him.

Like I said before, he could stay there forever for all I care. The goal for me is to clarify what the "rules" are or should be when this come up the next time.

Edited by jsilverjanet