• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

So what's the rule on posting in a sales thread that a seller is blatantly misquoting GPA (in more than one sales thread simultaneously)?

Would it be ok to post a screen shot of REAL gpa with a question?

That is fraud. You should be able to blatantly call someone out and warn them if there is obvious fraud.

Misquoting GPA or having the book on Ebay of another venue, etc.

Also a mistake may happen so maybe a PM to the seller to let them know.

So what's the rule on posting in a sales thread that a seller is blatantly misquoting GPA (in more than one sales thread simultaneously)?

That is fraud. You should be able to blatantly call someone out and warn them if there is obvious fraud.

This particular seller has had 8 books for sale this week with the same claims, misquoted GPA or claims that his sale price was "crazy below gpa".

If everyone that pays $100 gets at least say $200 worth of stuff, someone getting $500 worth of stuff does not make it a lottery.

If the $500 box isn't promoted, identified or otherwise noted, then I would agree. You can silently give away anything you want, if it's behind the scenes and not used as an incentive to buy.

But if you mention in the listing that one of the boxes will be a higher value than the others, then it's not allowed.

So, the guy who just relisted his mystery boxes but said he would include the two previous raffle prizes within the mystery boxes themselves, is still promoting a raffle.

It was just poofed.

I usually pm the seller with the correct info and ask kindly for a correction...

If nothing happens...well factual information isn't crapping is it? ;)

This particular seller has had 8 books for sale this week with the same claims, misquoted GPA or claims that his sale price was "crazy below gpa".

I'm not surprised.

Are the books in questioned being priced with shipping included from a certain kangaroo infested

Continent?

If so spot check would be close, but I haven't checked them all...

I.e savage she-hulk 1 9.8 90 day gpa is $141 (his "crazy under gpa price" is $150 which includes shipping from AU, which I'm guessing is $20-30? So he would be selling for under gpa I guess)

Puffery is not actionable. It's like a lot of listings I see where the seller quotes a gpa price but they selectively use the highest gpa. Appropriate for a book that doesn't trade often but for a common book? Diligence is required as there is plenty of shady going on here.

Are the books in questioned being priced with shipping included from a certain kangaroo infested

Continent?

If so spot check would be close, but I haven't checked them all...

I.e savage she-hulk 1 9.8 90 day gpa is $141 (his "crazy under gpa price" is $150 which includes shipping from AU, which I'm guessing is $20-30? So he would be selling for under gpa I guess)

:gossip: GPA prices are the price of the book only and don't usually include shipping. So you should add $10-20 (domestic) for shipping to those GPA prices.

Puffery is not actionable. It's like a lot of listings I see where the seller quotes a gpa price but they selectively use the highest gpa. Appropriate for a book that doesn't trade often but for a common book? Diligence is required as there is plenty of shady going on here.

Well, if someone were to be selling, for example, the "Foil Version" of a book where the GPA average is $90, and instead listed the GPA for a 'Non-Foil" version and states that the last two sales were $113, and it's for the entirely wrong version of the book, that would seem far more than "puffery". It's more misinformation, false claims, and willing inaccuracy I think.

If everyone that pays $100 gets at least say $200 worth of stuff, someone getting $500 worth of stuff does not make it a lottery.

If the $500 box isn't promoted, identified or otherwise noted, then I would agree. You can silently give away anything you want, if it's behind the scenes and not used as an incentive to buy.

But if you mention in the listing that one of the boxes will be a higher value than the others, then it's not allowed.

So, the guy who just relisted his mystery boxes but said he would include the two previous raffle prizes within the mystery boxes themselves, is still promoting a raffle.

It was just poofed.

I was not promoting a raffle. I just said I threw in the books and reorganized each box. Not sure why my thread was deleted again. Instead of deleting my thread, the moderator should directly contact me and tell me why my thread is breaking the rules of the board. I do not appreciate having a thread I took time to write for a second time get deleted and not receive an explanation of exactly why.

Everyone should stop having mystery box sales. It's a mystery for a reason.

How can you say this when there have been plenty of happy customers who have participated in these types of sales threads? Your purely pessimistic attitude in thinking everyone is out to try and rip people off is exactly what is wrong with this board.

How can you say this when there have been plenty of happy customers who have participated in these types of sales threads? Your purely pessimistic attitude in thinking everyone is out to try and rip people off is exactly what is wrong with this board.

No, I'm a pragmatist.

This is not an attack on anyone in particular and in fact I have had numerous transactions with most of the sellers who run mystery box threads.

I just don't like the notion that people are really being motivated into purchasing based on the one or two large ticket books that will be added to one or two of the boxes. They're a mystery for a reason.

Lastly, look at your sales threads and compare them to the numerous other mystery box threads that pass muster. It's clearly not arbitrary enforcement of the rules but rather your understanding of them. I would PM a mod with the template of your thread to make sure it's ok before wasting your time.

Good luck.

No, I'm a pragmatist.

This is not an attack on anyone in particular and in fact I have had numerous transactions with most of the sellers who run mystery box threads.

I just don't like the notion that people are really being motivated into purchasing based on the one or two large ticket books that will be added to one or two of the boxes. They're a mystery for a reason.

Lastly, look at your sales threads and compare them to the numerous other mystery box threads that pass muster. It's clearly not arbitrary enforcement of the rules but rather your understanding of them. I would PM a mod with the template of your thread to make sure it's ok before wasting your time.

Good luck.

If you would have looked at my recent thread without jumping to conclusions, you would have noticed that I posted more than 1-2 large ticket books. I am pretty sure more than half the books that were being included were pictured in the thread. I was going to add more photos once I got up this morning so there would be some form of transparency as to what buyers could expect to receive. Each box was equally valued in regards to FMV.

And if you would have looked at my sales thread before making any assumptions, you would have seen no difference between what I posted and the countless of other mystery box sales that went unpunished.

No, I'm a pragmatist.

Good luck.

If you would have looked at my recent thread without jumping to conclusions, you would have noticed that I posted more than 1-2 large ticket books. I am pretty sure more than half the books that were being included were pictured in the thread. I was going to add more photos once I got up this morning so there would be some form of transparency as to what buyers could expect to receive. Each box was equally valued in regards to FMV.

And if you would have looked at my sales thread before making any assumptions, you would have seen no difference between what I posted and the countless of other mystery box sales that went unpunished.

I never looked at your thread because I wasn't referring to you in particular but rather mystery box sales in general.

Furthermore I couldn't look at your thread if I wanted to because it was removed, twice. I can look at the many other mystery box threads still up because they were not removed for violating rules.

Instead of considering my good advice of sending a template and finding out why they keep being removed you chose to make it personal. Stop being a martyr and fix what you're doing wrong.

I am pretty sure you can ask others who saw my most recent thread if it was any different from those that went unpunished, and they will tell you there was no difference. I have contacted a mod about this issue 2 days ago and the mod still has not responded (has not been online). If these boards are as closely regulated as you make it seem, don't you think the person who deleted my thread could contact me and let me know exactly what I was doing different/wrong?

I have nothing personal against you either, just didn't appreciate your assumption that all mystery boxes were scams based on your first comment. Saying they should be not allowed outright is punishing the small population of board members that are into this sort of thing.

It was pretty late last night when I saw the mystery box thread that apparently went poof. From what I saw, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. There appeared to be some decent books in it and I sent the OP a PM asking him if it didn't work out that I'd be interested in making a deal for some of the books.

Did I miss something? It looked like the other mystery box threads I've seen or participated in. I did a raffle here last year or so and had no problems - of course, that raised money for HERO and CBLDF.

I'd like to go back and look at the thread since it was so late last night when I saw it, but it be gone.

It was pretty late last night when I saw the mystery box thread that apparently went poof. From what I saw, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. There appeared to be some decent books in it and I sent the OP a PM asking him if it didn't work out that I'd be interested in making a deal for some of the books.

Did I miss something? It looked like the other mystery box threads I've seen or participated in. I did a raffle here last year or so and had no problems - of course, that raised money for HERO and CBLDF.

I'd like to go back and look at the thread since it was so late last night when I saw it, but it be gone.

Thanks for clearing it up for those that didn't have a chance to see the thread. I just find it interesting that my thread gets instantly removed, yet an explanation as to why it was done has not been specified yet.