• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I disagree. The incentive is what gets the buyers. And doesn't the lack of transparency about the other contents violate another rule?

Exactly, and this is clearly a draw:

If all ten sell I'll have a drawing where 10th name drawn receives X-Factor 6 CGC 9.8.

:cloud9:

Here's the deal guys, in order to stop Harv from having a coronary with his bizarre conjectures:

1) From the PM with Arch, it appears that secondary Mods are not properly understanding or implementing the "No Raffles" rules.

2) Arch therefore felt the need to further clarify the rules regarding "games of chance/ raffles"

3) The reason comicalgems thread was not poofed is because IT WAS OVER DAYS AGO. The boxes sold out, the draw was made, and everything shipped out the 10th, 3 days *before* Arch got personally involved. Clear? Now, if you have a time machine, please PM Arch.

I like you. I feel you give intelligent and strong insightful words to the community.

My thread was not so different than similar ones I've had here in the past. I'm not here to make mods work harder or to cloud any rules...maybe I'll try mystery boxes again but without incentivizing tiers.

I also find it interesting that a lot of the people weighing in aren't known to hang out in the sales forums anyway.

Plenty that are active...just interesting.

@Comical

I really don't see a problem with the way you ran your last MB sale other than Arch has reaffirmed (what I have learned) established rules on "lottery" style MB sales.

You are a trustworthy member of the community and you do this the right way.

The problem is the potential for people to do it the wrong way, which could be bad for the community. Hence, the current debate/discussion.

I'm actually glad we are discussing this now instead of after a major scam artist came through and ripped a bunch of Boardies.

You're a good guy and have a great weekend :foryou:

The problem is the potential for people to do it the wrong way, which could be bad for the community. Hence, the current debate/discussion.

Exactly, these rules were never enacted to punish or impugn long-time, trustworthy members like comicalgems, but to protect users from scam artists and frauds, of which there are plenty out there.

I received my - MYSTERY BOX from comicalgems tonight and wanted to share with all of the discussion about Mystery Boxes. This was well worth the price of admission! :applause:

TONS of Readers. :cloud9:

znudnc.jpg

Close-up of the Readers. Can't wait to read the Batmans and some of the other books I'd otherwise never own. :headbang:

15365qr.jpg

2jcy4ad.jpg

The gems! :banana:

k6s0w.jpg

2iw34g9.jpg

2guzlvl.jpg

:whee: FANTASTIC FOUR #59 :whee: A really nice, high grade copy. A terrific book I'd never own save for this this Mystery Box, but I love it. Terrific Silver Age goodness.

26230u9.jpg

Exactly, these rules were never enacted to punish or impugn long-time, trustworthy members like comicalgems, but to protect users from scam artists and frauds, of which there are plenty out there.

CG is a great seller. Hopefully my comments weren't seen as an attack on him. His listing has qualities of a raffle and really shouldn't be a part of the forum IMO. I think it does fall into Arch's definition.

In general I am not a big fan of mystery or chase sales. I think it does more harm than good.

In general I am not a big fan of mystery or chase sales. I think it does more harm than good.

Yep, for every one CG, there are ten scammers out there with "a Hulk 181, ASM 129 and IM 55 to be randomly inserted in the mystery boxes" rip-off raffles.

I received my - MYSTERY BOX from comicalgems tonight and wanted to share with all of the discussion about Mystery Boxes. This was well worth the price of admission! :applause:

TONS of Readers. :cloud9:

znudnc.jpg

Close-up of the Readers. Can't wait to read the Batmans and some of the other books I'd otherwise never own. :headbang:

15365qr.jpg

2jcy4ad.jpg

The gems! :banana:

k6s0w.jpg

2iw34g9.jpg

2guzlvl.jpg

:whee: FANTASTIC FOUR #59 :whee: A really nice, high grade copy. A terrific book I'd never own save for this this Mystery Box, but I love it. Terrific Silver Age goodness.

26230u9.jpg

Nice use of spoiler tags! Feel free to post in my feedback thread which is linked in my sig line.

Glad to hear you are happy.

The focus in determining if something is a raffle, lottery or gambling is not the winners. In order for something to be classified as a lottery there must be losers. If everyone that pays $100 gets at least say $200 worth of stuff, someone getting $500 worth of stuff does not make it a lottery.

Looks like I might be going on the list. I had a sale to fund an impulse buy from a few days ago. If I don't get payment today I'm selling it to the next guy. (shrug)

The focus in determining if something is a raffle, lottery or gambling is not the winners. In order for something to be classified as a lottery there must be losers. If everyone that pays $100 gets at least say $200 worth of stuff, someone getting $500 worth of stuff does not make it a lottery.

(thumbs u

Where's your definition from? Mine is from dictionary.com

lottery[ lot-uh-ree ]

noun [plural lot·ter·ies.]

1. a gambling game or method of raising money, as for some public charitable purpose, in which a large number of tickets are sold and a drawing is held for certain prizes.

2. any scheme for the distribution of prizes by chance.

3. any happening or process that is or appears to be determined by chance: to look upon life as a lottery.

If everyone that pays $100 gets at least say $200 worth of stuff, someone getting $500 worth of stuff does not make it a lottery.

If the $500 box isn't promoted, identified or otherwise noted, then I would agree. You can silently give away anything you want, if it's behind the scenes and not used as an incentive to buy.

But if you mention in the listing that one of the boxes will be a higher value than the others, then it's not allowed.

I'm thinking about petitioning Arch to create a carnival-like marketplace sub-forum where anything goes. A virtual marketplace rodeo. You pays your money & takes your chances. :banana:

Isnt that what it has become. The fact that I have to sit by and watch these people use some sketchy methods to get money bothers me.

So what's the rule on posting in a sales thread that a seller is blatantly misquoting GPA (in more than one sales thread simultaneously)?

Would it be ok to post a screen shot of REAL gpa with a question?