• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Oh hey, look, more transactions being offered via Paypal personal, which this board turns a collective blind eye to.

How lovely!

You use the service, you pay for the service. Anything else is mental pretzel-making to justify not paying an entity for the service they provide, which is stealing.

:cloud9:

Let it go man.

+1

You too. See above.

It is utter hypocrisy to maintain a "probation list" for people who rip off, cheat, steal, and otherwise do harm to others, while simultaneously completely turning a blind eye to stealing from Paypal because of whatever reason.

Well naturally. Stealing from Paypal is okay. Especially if it's rationalized by "helping out a boardie"

And to everyone, RMA is right about Paypal personal. You may not like that, you may not care but it is stealing from Paypal. That's indisputable. No different than those insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who used to charge outrageous shipping charges on ebay to avoid the fees.

Is double boxing using usps boxes a problem too? Just asking if this falls under the same thing. I have seen unused boxes cut up and used to sandwich raws and it just chaffs my . Seems like a lot of shady things going on..........

Is double boxing using usps boxes a problem too?

Interesting question. Like many, I use the double box method because those priority boxes are pretty damn thin.

I don't understand his question and I may be totally ignorant of some policy the USPS has, but why would they care how a person uses their boxes when they give them away for free? (shrug)

Interesting question. Like many, I use the double box method because those priority boxes are pretty damn thin.

I don't understand his question and I may be totally ignorant of some policy the USPS has, but why would they care how a person uses their boxes when they give them away for free? (shrug)

That's why I said it was interesting.

That's why I said it was interesting.

Because the terms of use for receiving those free boxes is that they be used for USPS shipping. In the case of double boxing, the interior box is being used as packing material rather than as a shipping container.

I don't think it's a problem. I haven't seen a rule that prohibits it...just looked at the USPS guide again. All it says is "Select Priority Mail Express and Priority Mail boxes are available free at the Post Office for items sent using either of these services." I interpret this, as written, to mean that all priority mail shipping supplies are fair game and can be used in any quantity/configuration, as long as you actually mail the item using that service. It doesn't say otherwise. If they wanted to impose a rule that you can only use one box per shipped package, they could certainly do so. The fact that they haven't said so to me means that it's acceptable to use multiple boxes, as long as you are using that service.

In contrast, the PayPal terms of service are very clear:

4.1 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase.

I was just thinking the moral compass thing..........it can be tricky to have it 100% on all the time. I get the personal paypal thing but the miss use of postal supplies is really no different. IMO

Its a personal call everyday for everyone.

Except if you use priority boxes and don't use the service. ;)

Of course...that's clearly a problem, and could indeed be lumped into the "theft" category along with the PayPal personal thing.

I was sticking with the example where you double-box and then send the package priority - that doesn't seem to be a problem the way the USPS language is written, precisely because the service is being used.

Is double boxing using usps boxes a problem too? Just asking if this falls under the same thing. I have seen unused boxes cut up and used to sandwich raws and it just chaffs my . Seems like a lot of shady things going on..........

Here's what the USPS says:

"Priority Mail packaging provided by the USPS must be used only for Priority Mail. Regardless of how the packaging is reconfigured or how markings may be obliterated, any matter mailed in USPS-produced Priority Mail packaging is charged the appropriate Priority Mail price."

DMM 125.1.1

Which means that you can use Priority mail supplies any way you see fit, including double boxes, tape, stickers, labels, etc., so long as you are paying the Priority Mail rate for that package.

Extra boxes add weight, so there's that concern.

It doesn't address recycling, but the regulation does cover the use of Priority mail supplies for Non-Priority mail packages: you can't.

So, using the free supplies in Media Mail or First Class mail is a no go.

Postal supplies are free, but they do make some stipulations on their use...

Are there any restrictions on free supplies?

Any supplies mailed in Priority Mail Express®, Priority Mail®, or Global Express Guaranteed® packaging provided by the US Postal Service is charged the appropriate Priority Mail Express™, Priority Mail or Global Express Guaranteed price, regardless of how the packaging is reconfigured (turned inside out) or how the markings are obliterated.

If any Priority Mail Express or Priority Mail packaging or packaging supplies (e.g., Priority Mail tape to seal a Standard Post® package) are used on any other class of mail, the applicable Priority Mail Express or Priority Mail price will be charged.

Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, or Global Express Guaranteed packaging provided by the US Postal Service can only be used for the class of mail specified on the box (Priority Mail Express® service, Priority Mail® service, or Global Express Guaranteed®). Misuse may be a violation of federal law.

If you want to complain or report misuse of supplies, please contact your local Post Office.

Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express packages and envelopes can be used to ship in the United States or to another country. However, the Postal Service is still accepting all existing international and domestic Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express packaging.

So they can actually charge you a higher price, based on your use of that higher price product, even if you just used it as packing material inside, or turned the box inside out. It's taking a risk, similar to using Media Mail.

I'm not sure if used postal supplies fall into the same category, or how they would make that determination.

I'm in favor of reusing materials as much as possible. Save a friggin' tree and all that jazz. Every little bit helps.

I was just thinking the moral compass thing..........it can be tricky to have it 100% on all the time. I get the personal paypal thing but the miss use of postal supplies is really no different. IMO

Its a personal call everyday for everyone.

I agree with you. If the moral compass was on 100%, most of us would never deal with most of the retailers in this country.

It's the people who rationalize the "stealing" that annoy me. If someone wants to pay with PP personal, go for it. Just man up and admit that you're stealing. If someone chooses to keep taking chances by sending comics through Media Mail, just know that it might bite you in the one of these days. The PO is inconsistent about Media Mail but that doesn't stop them from charging extra postage fees when they discover that you are sending comics via that method.

So who is asking for paypal personal?

One thing to note, if you are using your credit card to make payment through paypal, there is no "fee free" method. The difference is that if you use your credit card and make payment "personal" you (the buyer) pay the fees not the seller. So if, like me, everything is done with the cc, there is no fee free method, one or the other party is paying the fees, always.