• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Then tell me oh wise one: why don't you pay ANY fee for a Friends & Family option then?

In your opinion, it's the same service - sending money to another?

:popcorn:

2hhg6ck.gif

You still haven't answered this?

You keep saying that "PayPal isn't in the insurance business. They provide a service. You should pay for the service."

To you, PayPal's service is sending and receiving money from one person to another.

Why are you not charged a fee if you use the Personal PayPal / Friends & Family option?

You're still getting the same service, right? Why no charge?

Then tell me oh wise one: why don't you pay ANY fee for a Friends & Family option then?

2hhg6ck.gif

You keep saying that "PayPal isn't in the insurance business. They provide a service. You should pay for the service."

To you, PayPal's service is sending and receiving money from one person to another.

Why are you not charged a fee if you use the Personal PayPal / Friends & Family option?

Oh please. Making an issue because I haven't answered a question?

You haven't answered a wholllle lot of questions.

Did you notice my e-mail from Elizabeth that flatly and directly contradicts yours from "Eadric"?

Why are you so interested in not paying Paypal for a service that they provide you? Why are you arguing so intently to be able to use a service for free that is a great convenience to you?

Answer that, and I'll gladly answer your question. Honest answer, now, not "because I can." That's not an answer.

2hhg6ck.gif

Did you notice my e-mail from Elizabeth that flatly and directly contradicts yours from "Eadric"?

Why are you so interested in not paying Paypal for a service that they provide you? Why are you arguing so intently to be able to use a service for free that is a great convenience to you?

Answer that, and I'll gladly answer your question. Honest answer, now, not "because I can." That's not an answer.

Here's your answer: If I can get a $1,000 book for $970 because I can save the 3% that would normally go towards "Buyer Protection" and I'm buying from a friend, I'm going to do that everytime. I don't need that "Buyer Protection" and $30 buys a lot of ice cream cones for my daughter. If I'm following PayPal's rules and paying a friend using the "Friends & Family" option, I don't see an issue. I am giving up any right to a refund if something goes wrong by waiving Buyer Protection which is what I think the 3% fee is for.

You have your opinion what the 3% fees are for and I have my own.

Now can you answer the question?

If you think the fee associated with using PayPal is one for the "service" of sending money from one person to another: why is there no fee associated with a PayPal Personal payment?

They're the SAME service, right?

I just found this gif...thought it was funny...and I am now releasing it into the wilds of general discussion to be used by anyone as they deem fit.

funny-wwe-wrestling-diva-slap-shocked-surprised-man-oh-my-god-animated-gif.gif

Thanks!

2hhg6ck.gif

Here's your answer: If I can get a $1,000 book for $970 because I can save the 3% that would normally go towards "Buyer Protection" and I'm buying from a friend, I'm going to do that everytime.

Of course you are. That's the same reasoning a price tag switcher at a con goes through. "Hey, if I can get this $100 book for $25, I'm going to do that every time."

No different. Same thought process. Price tag switchers usually don't think they're doing anything wrong, either. And some of them go to great lengths to justify it, too. "Well, this book wasn't worth what this guy was charging, and it wasn't fair, so I switched it to a reasonable price and bought it when the guy went to lunch and left the booth with his flunkie."

That's the problem. Paypal doesn't sell "Buyer Protection." There is no "Buyer Protection" option, like there is a Loss/Damage Waiver when renting a vehicle, that is a separate charge, and which you can waive with the permission of the rental company.

They sell a service, which is, transferring money from this account to that account.

I don't need that "Buyer Protection" and $30 buys a lot of ice cream cones for my daughter.

I'm sure $75 "saved" by the price tag switcher would buy a lot of ice cream cones, too.

If I'm following PayPal's rules and paying a friend using the "Friends & Family" option, I don't see an issue. '

Of course not: you want something for free.

None of this is surprising in ANY way. You don't want to pay for their service.

And what do we call it when someone obtains a pay service, but doesn't pay for it....?

I am giving up any right to a refund if something goes wrong by waiving Buyer Protection which is what I think the 3% fee is for.

And what YOU think is wrong. You won't find any word on the site that says anything about buying a "Buyer Protection" plan. It doesn't exist. "Buyer Protection is an automatic and inseparable part of the entire service charge.

You don't get to decide not to pay the entire service charge, just because you don't want the "buyer protection" part.

You've already been told by another Paypal rep that purchases aren't allowed for Personal payments...but you managed to find one person who either didn't understand your question, or doesn't understand his job. I've now spoken to several people who have acknowledge the exact same thing I've said, and even got it documented, just like you did.

You have your opinion what the 3% fees are for and I have my own.

No, I have Paypal's opinion about what the 3% fees are for....you don't need to rely on my opinion; you have it straight from Paypal: personal payments aren't for purchases.

The answer, Swick, is quite simple: you don't want to pay someone for a service they provide. I don't think anyone is surprised by this. That you won't call it what it is, however, is what is surprising.

Now can you answer the question?

If you think the fee associated with using PayPal is one for the "service" of sending money from one person to another: why is there no fee associated with a PayPal Personal payment?

They're the SAME service, right?

Sure I can: Paypal has decided to broaden its customer base by offering a SEGMENT of service for which they do not charge, in the hopes that more people will use Paypal, see how convenient it is, and decide to use it for regular purchases as well.

It is a goodwill gesture on Paypal's part, which they don't have to provide (at least, as far as Paypal reps know), but they do as a means of providing a service to gain business.

And no, they aren't "the SAME service", because one is for purchases...that is, money in exchange for goods and/or services...and the other is for NON-purchases, where NO goods and/or services are being exchanged.

Pretty straightforward.

Mongol General: Hao! Dai ye! We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?

RMA: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, the wind in your hair, and never using PayPal personal

Mongol General: Wrong! Swick! What is best in life?

Swick: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women while I use PayPal personal.

Mongol General: That is good! That is good.

Mongol General: Hao! Dai ye! We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?

RMA: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, the wind in your hair, and never using PayPal personal

Mongol General: Wrong! Swick! What is best in life?

Swick: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women while I use PayPal personal.

Mongol General: That is good! That is good.

lol

RMA, at this point I'm going to just stop arguing with you.

Your opinion of any situation is clearly superior to anyone else's opinion on the matter. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else will say to contradict you:

You are always right.

So, carry on fella. (thumbs u

Your opinion of any situation is clearly superior to anyone else's opinion on the matter. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else will say to contradict you:

You are always right.

Loser :baiting:

You are always right.

Loser :baiting:

I <3 you too, Bear.

You probably should have done that several hours ago.

That, of course, is ad hominem (personal commentary about someone that has nothing to do with the discussion), and demonstrably untrue. I only care about the facts, Swick, not personal commentary. Thus far, you have been entirely incapable of proving those facts. I trust you don't have these kinds of experiences in court...? I expect better from lawyers than to resort to ad hominen.

You are always right.

And what, exactly, is it that you think you've been doing this entire time...?

Yes, that's right: the same exact thing.

So, does that mean "You are always right" too...?

Does that logic just completely escape you? If someone argues with you, then they "think they're right." If YOU argue, you're just "making a point." But you're doing the exact same thing. It's the same illogical argument that is made all the time around here, and it's always a bad one.

Hello...? Anybody home, here...?

No, Swick...you're frustrated because, in THIS situation, you don't have any argument, so you resort to ad hominem at the end. That is always....without fail...the end of any rational debate, and the tacit admission of defeat (not that I'm interested in defeating anyone.) What "I always am" is irrelevant to the discussion: I've presented a sound defense of Paypal, and you don't like that.

No worries. I won't reply to you in kind, because I don't need to. The answer to the question "why would you choose not to pay someone for providing a service to you that makes your life easier" is "because I can."

That's the only bottom line that matters.

If you want to stop trying to defend the indefensible, I encourage you to do so. Not because I say that arrogantly, or with any attempt to shame you, but only to point out what is.