• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

:news: I just got off the phone with PayPal. I can send call records if anyone needs proof. :news:

I AGAIN confirmed that I can buy goods, from a friend, MORE THAN ONCE, using PayPal Personal.

I asked "Ed" to send me an email confirming this. He found it comical that this was being questioned so much and giggled often. :D

I highlighted the relevant section in Notes.

2qaoefo.png

And *I* got off the phone with Paypal, and spoke to "Christine" (or thereabouts) and SHE confirmed that no, in fact, you CANNOT buy goods "from a friend, more than once, using Paypal personal."

I wonder who is correct...?

hm

pqasg.gif

And again...let's not lose sight of the bottom line: Swick and others are arguing to use a service without paying for it, even though that service REQUIRES payment for use.

No.

PayPal requires payment for use if you use the Goods and Setvices option because you are paying for the Buyer Protection. It's protection that if something goes wrong, they'll cover (or insure) your money and you won't suffer a monetary loss. THAT is what your 2.9% fee pays for. Not the intermediary transfer of funds from one PayPal account to another PayPal account.

And again...let's not lose sight of the bottom line: Swick and others are arguing to use a service without paying for it, even though that service REQUIRES payment for use.

No.

PayPal requires payment for use if you use the Goods and Setvices option because you are paying for the Buyer Protection. It's protection that if something goes wrong, they'll cover (or insure) your money and you won't suffer a monetary loss. THAT is what your 2.9% fee pays for. Not the intermediary transfer of funds from one PayPal account to another PayPal account.

From what I recall, when I started using PayPal around the late 1990s, and PayPal Europe did not exist yet, the fees were almost nonexistent. It started to get more expensive when they had to add various services and probably the protection.

Did you get an email from "Christine" noting your conversation?

I would like to see it.

Working on it as we speak.

1950-Mamie-Van-Doren-punches-her-husband-Ray....jpg

Watch out Ed! Here comes Christine! :fear:

My money's on Ed, don't let those plaid shorts fool you...

:news: I just got off the phone with PayPal. I can send call records if anyone needs proof. :news:

I AGAIN confirmed that I can buy goods, from a friend, MORE THAN ONCE, using PayPal Personal.

I asked "Ed" to send me an email confirming this. He found it comical that this was being questioned so much and giggled often. :D

I highlighted the relevant section in Notes.

2qaoefo.png

And THAT'S the end of that chapter! :headbang:

Paypal%20letter.png

Paypal%20letter%202.png

Note highlights.

This is from Elizabeth, who researched the matter with her supervisor.

She said the deciding group within Paypal is at this e-mail:

P2P@paypal.com

They are the ones who decide what's what with Personal payments.

I have sent an e-mail to them asking this question. We shall see what they say. If they say "yes, you can use personal to send from a friend", fine. They're cutting their own throats, and they should change their TOS, but it's their right to do so...it's their company, they can do whatever they want.

We shall see.

No.

No.

Paypal is in the financial services business, not the insurance business.

You can pretzel yourself any way you like, but that doesn't change that fact. Paypal isn't selling insurance that you can decide "not to pay."

They are selling a service. You pay for that service, or you don't. But trying to do mental gymnastics for why you don't have to pay for it says more about you than you really ought to be saying.

pqasg.gif

SILENCE!!

The rabble is already roused, you!

lol

Did you ask Elizabeth what they've done with Christine?

Where's Christine!?!?!

Paypal%20letter.png

Paypal%20letter%202.png

Note highlights.

P2P@paypal.com

I have sent an e-mail to them asking this question. We shall see what they say. If they say "yes, you can use personal to send from a friend", fine. They're cutting their own throats, and they should change their TOS, but it's their right to do so...it's their company, they can do whatever they want.

We shall see.

macho-man-randy-savage-and-elizabeth-at-wrestlemania-4.jpg

Paypal%20letter.png

Paypal%20letter%202.png

Note highlights.

P2P@paypal.com

We shall see.

macho-man-randy-savage-and-elizabeth-at-wrestlemania-4.jpg

lol

Has anyone bothered to ask Swick why he has such a problem with paying Paypal for using their services...?

I mean, besides me...?

That really is the root, here. Personally, if someone provides a service that makes my life easier, hey, I'm happy to pay for it.

Checks/MOs were laborious, time consuming, and it took weeks to get your stuff as you waited for the merchant to receive payment, then to clear, and then to ship...IF they shipped.

Now...click, click, done. So easy.

Why does someone want to go to such incredible lengths to justinify NOT paying someone for a service that makes their lives easier....?

hm

Why are some of you SO OPPOSED to paying for a service, that you'll literally argue for days in support of NOT paying for it?

I told you why I argue: because it's stealing. Why are you supporters of not paying arguing? So you can use a service, but not pay for it?

Does it matter what I think? Is this going to change anyone's behavior? Probably not. In fact, I suspect there will be some who use Personal payments for purchase who think to themselves "Yeah! Take THAT, RMA, with your hoity toity moralizing!"...do you know that I won't even know about it, much less be affected by it....?

One of the best quotes I've ever seen in a sigline is this one:

“Every act of dishonesty has at least two victims: the one we think of as the victim, and the perpetrator as well. Each little dishonesty makes another little rotten spot somewhere in the perpetrator's psyche.” ~ Leslie Conger

It's true.