• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

i.e. responding again to Speedy's post

personally there is something instinctual about when someone is outnumbered for me to try and balance the odds.

that's just me and has nothing to do with whoever is on the other side.

is that the brightest move? no. as i've gotten older, I've learned to walk away from a lot of arguments that don't involve me. This is one of them.

lol

WTTB - there are a large number of boardies just like you. :)

It is always wise to pick your arguments. It depends on your stamina. When you do you should say what you really think.

68xah.jpg

And he also wrote this...

I did not know about an ebay block list untill just a half hour ago, the article i read said you are not a true ebay seller untill you have people in your block list because people bid and never follow up all the time.

You've been a member on e-bay for almost 9 years now (3/15/2005), and you never knew how to block bidders as a seller? meh

You have 249 feedback as a seller, and since not everyone leaves feedback, you've obviously had many more transactions than that. But we're supposed to believe you don't know how to block bidders. :facepalm:

For somebody who wants to be a pharmacist, you sure do miss a lot of the "little" things in the "big" picture, don't you. You're studying to go into a career field where every "little" detail matters, yet you can't get e-bay right?

lol

If he never needed to block bidders before then why would he bother to find out how?

how does the group feel about a Devils Advocate? I see some holes in the theory but I also don't want to be thrown in the same company just because I'm going against the tide here.

Go for it if you want, it'll at least keep things entertaining, but experience shows that not much comes from siding with those facing the pitchforks. Ask Hado how much he enjoyed defending solarcadet 1 when sc1 wasn't even defending himself.

The pitchfork crowd isn't all that ominous. :eyeroll:

It was more overwhelming because while you're formulating a response and post, there's several more to answer by the time you're done.

You guys were a bunch of pussycats ;)

how does the group feel about a Devils Advocate? I see some holes in the theory but I also don't want to be thrown in the same company just because I'm going against the tide here.

Go for it if you want, it'll at least keep things entertaining, but experience shows that not much comes from siding with those facing the pitchforks. Ask Hado how much he enjoyed defending solarcadet 1 when sc1 wasn't even defending himself.

The pitchfork crowd isn't all that ominous. :eyeroll:

It was more overwhelming because while you're formulating a response and post, there's several more to answer by the time you're done.

There is a certain time commitment when facing the mob. Quite a few replies tend to be agreements with the main pitchfork so they can be skipped. If you try it again there is also staying on topic. Some of the mob like to create a series of tangents.

Don't let someone make it out to be any more than what it really was.

1) Someone was added to the HOS, and in only a few short weeks was requested to be removed from the list without a decent-size outcry like Menace.

2) The person you so kindly wanted to help couldn't stop tripping up your efforts. That never helps in a situation if you are keeping your head, and then the party in question is throwing out hand grenades.

3) He was also mocking the HOS as really adding no value and how he was working around it, and then stating he would like to be taken off the HOS.

Way too much confusion, hypocritical desire, and not-so-good timing.

Don't let someone make it out to be any more than what it really was.

1) Someone was added to the HOS, and in only a few short weeks was requested to be removed from the list without a decent-size outcry like Menace.

2) The person you so kindly wanted to help couldn't stop tripping up your efforts. That never helps in a situation if you are keeping your head, and the party in question is throwing out hand grenades.

3) He was also mocking the HOS as really adding no value and how he was working around it, and then stating he would like to be taken off the HOS.

Way too much confusion, hypocritical desire, and not-so-good timing.

Lesson 1 - learn to pick your battles. "A" for effort. Your heart was in the right place. Keep up the good work. :applause:

So did anyone but me buy HusTruk's story? He really seems more bumbling and socially awkward than malicious or shady, but I could be wrong. Maybe I'm not a good judge of character.

I don't know if believing his story even matters at this point. Best to take a wait and see position. He is an overly emotional guy who appears to be just starting to learn.

So did anyone but me buy HusTruk's story? He really seems more bumbling and socially awkward than malicious or shady, but I could be wrong. Maybe I'm not a good judge of character.

He does make a decent argument for just being 100% inept, but I'm erring on the side of not buying it. He's either a constant flailer who has no idea how to act in any situation ever, or he's that plus morally shallow enough to be happy to cut whatever corners he can think of.

I know of someone that has done a $1,000 (+) transaction with him, and was waiting to see where things went. The transaction was recently completed successfully.

So with all the things posted on here (e.g. online resume, Ebay account, the story about his being dismissed from his job), it is easy to write him off as a nut or a scammer. I think you have a mix of so many odd behaviors here, people are going to move forward carefully.

I know of someone that has done a $1,000 (+) transaction with him, and was waiting to see where things went. The transaction was recently completed successfully.

So with all the things posted on here (e.g. online resume, Ebay account, the story about his being dismissed from his job), it is easy to write him off as a nut or a scammer. I think you have a mix of so many odd behaviors here, people are going to move forward carefully.

I also completed a $1000+ transaction with him and he paid on time, unless you were talking about me?

Going back to what Branget said about picking battles. For me, if I'm going to go against the tide here, it better be worth it, so I'm only sticking up for someone I know personally or myself.

I totally understand what you mean. He did type me and apologize for what happened today and asked for my advice on how to handle it. He followed my advice and tried to fix the situation so I will give him the benefit of the doubt since he is a fellow board member. Hopefully he continues to work on his social skills and board etiquette moving forward. For me the situation is closed pending any further incidents of the kind. However, I too will be proceeding with caution.

I totally understand what you mean. He did type me and apologize for what happened today and asked for my advice on how to handle it. He followed my advice and tried to fix the situation so I will give him the benefit of the doubt since he is a fellow board member. Hopefully he continues to work on his social skills and board etiquette moving forward. For me the situation is closed pending any further incidents of the kind. However, I too will be proceeding with caution.

Watch out you don't misplace your generosity. 2c