• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

What do you consider to be the dividing line/date for choosing the Golden/silver/Bronze or the Copper/Modern? I thing of bronze going to like 1985 but wanted other opinions

I thought this was worked out, but now I don't remember. 1982 was it?

Comic Age Thread

(shrug)

Let me cut and paste those for you Harvey ;)

Now if we could just CGC moderation to back up these dates... the world would tilt back onto its axis and beginning spinning again :grin:

Atom Age. The period recognized by the industry as being between 1946, after the dropping of the Atomic bomb, and continuing until the start of the Silver Age, in 1956.

Golden Age. CGC Registry term for a period of comic book publishing that ran from Action Comics #1 (June 1938) through 1959.

Silver Age.* CGC Registry term for comics published 1960 through 1969.

Bronze Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 1970 through 1979.

Copper Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 1980 through 1989.

Modern Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 1990 through the present.

But with all the ages from Silver to Copper only being ten years, yet modern being 24 years now, makes no sense. There needs to be something between Copper and Modern.

It should go:

Copper Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 1980-1989.

"Embossed Holo-Foil Crash" Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 1990-1999.

Modern Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 2000 through the present. The year 2000 coincides perfectly with Ultimate Spider-Man, which was published in 2000, and which many people now consider the start of "the current" modern age. The Ultimate line of books brought back many readers, CGC opened soon after, and in 2003, we got the Walking Dead.

What do you consider to be the dividing line/date for choosing the Golden/silver/Bronze or the Copper/Modern? I thing of bronze going to like 1985 but wanted other opinions

Comic Age Thread

(shrug)

Now if we could just CGC moderation to back up these dates... the world would tilt back onto its axis and beginning spinning again :grin:

Atom Age. The period recognized by the industry as being between 1946, after the dropping of the Atomic bomb, and continuing until the start of the Silver Age, in 1956.

Golden Age. CGC Registry term for a period of comic book publishing that ran from Action Comics #1 (June 1938) through 1959.

But with all the ages from Silver to Copper only being ten years, yet modern being 24 years now, makes no sense. There needs to be something between Copper and Modern.

It should go:

"Embossed Holo-Foil Crash" Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 1990-1999.

Modern Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 2000 through the present. The year 2000 coincides perfectly with Ultimate Spider-Man, which was published in 2000, and which many people now consider the start of "the current" modern age. The Ultimate line of books brought back many readers, CGC opened soon after, and in 2003, we got the Walking Dead.

I'm sure CGC would love to charge $18 per comic for only books released after the year 2000. What would the price bump be for grading charges on books published btw '90 and '99 hm

Comic Age Thread

(shrug)

It should go:

I'm sure CGC would love to charge $18 per comic for only books released after the year 2000. What would the price bump be for grading charges on books published btw '90 and '99 hm

By adding the "new age", they could once again raise prices amongst all the other tiers. Heck, it's been more than a month, we're due for some kind of price hike. lol

They could keep the moderns at $18, or heck, raise it to $20, then price the "Embossed Holo-Foil Crash" Age books at $22.00-$25.00. Then they could increase the prices $5.00 for every other tier.

The worst part is, I can see CGC implementing this new age and pricing structure. :insane:

momoney.png

Comic Age Thread

(shrug)

It should go:

..still no love for the "Wizard Age" :facepalm:

They had already played with using that term. :baiting:

lol

Why don't we just agree on a non-humpable age from '79 to '86 ?

Or we can agree with CGC.

When a few of us requested that CGC created that Copper Age registry category, it was CGC that went with 1980-1989 just to avoid any disagreements that would hold up making a decision.

I don't think the next step was "and now how can we change our price structure". They were going to make enough money with registry competitors then wanting to have sets that would stand out as the best the Copper Age could offer up.

When a few of us requested that CGC created that Copper Age registry category, it was CGC that went with 1980-1989 just to avoid any disagreements that would hold up making a decision.

I don't think the next step was "and now how can we change our price structure". They were going to make enough money with registry competitors then wanting to have sets that would stand out as the best the Copper Age could offer up.

I just meant as far as deciding what goes in G/S/B and what goes in C/M.

:foryou:

May Brock poop in your threads for a thousand years.

:baiting:

My threads are too coo' for poo.

My threads are too coo' for poo.

:roflmao:

I am agreeing with CGC's moderation philosophy. This is about mods "allowing" something....this is about what we report on right?

I believe the majority here aren't greatly concerned with some minor overlap as long as books aren't listed twice - that's why I made the suggestion above.

The "BA end - CA start" wasn't Jan 1, 1980 but if that's what you feel is correct, clarify whether that is cover date or sale date :baiting: Then set up a poll in General to see how many care about a hard & fast cut off vs people laying off the button humping for specified time frame.

(shrug)

An Explanation of the Philosophy Used to Moderate These Boards

The board guidelines are driven by a general philosophy about how to moderate, what makes a healthy board, and how members should be treated. Like any policy of "enforcement" it sounds awfully grim when you read it. We feel that it's important to understand not only the raw basics of the system, but also the thoughts and philosophies behind that enforcement policy. Like any human endeavor, board posting and moderation is full of grey areas and disagreements of opinion. This makes a clear mutual understanding of the philosophy of the boards not just a "nice to have" but a pretty crucial part of people feeling comfortable and happy with the atmosphere around here.

Board moderation is an art, not a science. Ultimately, it's a task that depends as much on the members of the board as it does on any ideas that the moderators have about how things should be handled. Every board's moderation must be orchestrated to embrace the culture of the bulk of its participants. That means that the level of moderation varies from group to group. In some groups, for instance, there is a looser standard towards "trash talking" and joking around because many members seem to enjoy it rather than get angry over it.

Statement of Board Rules/Arch

if you're going through the hassle of setting up a shill account to attempt to buy books from me because you are either: a HOSer, on the probation list or on ignore, is it too much to ask to answer at least one PM? otherwise, it doesn't feel as if you're really trying.

Can we swap the name on the 90-99 era and call it the Variant Era?

I would support this, but shouldn't it extend to the present, and shouldn't the word "gimmicky" be in there somewhere? (shrug)

if you're going through the hassle of setting up a shill account to attempt to buy books from me because you are either: a HOSer, on the probation list or on ignore, is it too much to ask to answer at least one PM? otherwise, it doesn't feel as if you're really trying.

Rant Advertising - Genius Level :idea:

Can we swap the name on the 90-99 era and call it the Variant Era?

But was that really the variant era? I think there are much more variants now... (shrug)

I like the Chromium age for that period. I got out of collecting in the late 90's and I remember everything was either a Chromium, hologram or a prismatic cover! doh!

Stories sucked, but WOW - look at those covers! (: