• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Glad you know the whole story. If you did, you'd keep your "ridiculous" comments to yourself....

If you (or any of the other posters) have something you want to say, send a PM. Otherwise, you have no right to comment in something that doesn't involve you.

With that attitude, you're missing the point of this entire thread.

I do understand the point of this thread and it is just as it states, General Discussion. Feel free to say what you will.

In a civilized society when someone is being attacked they are given the right to defend themselves. Unfortunately, it would appear in this forum that many hold to the principle of guilty until proven innocent.

The problem I have with the conversation in question is someone has come in, linked to another thread and made a comment that instantly casts a negative light on it.

So I ask why? If anyone feels I did something wrong, why not PM me? Why not take the high road and come to a civil resolution?

No one has asked for the other side of the story; there was an immediate guilty verdict. Had they asked they would have been informed that the OP sent me a PM asking me if I still wanted the book because the first individual had passed on it and I had been second in line to purchase. The OP further stated that it was not the first individual’s book to give away if they passed on it.

Therefore, I did nothing wrong in purchasing a book I had expressed interest in. The comment I made about not dealing with others’ krap was uncalled for and inappropriate, I will grant you that. Like so many others, I am not immune to responding hastily when I feel I have been wrongly accused.

Again, if anyone feels what I did was so bad I would welcome a gentleman’s discussion via PM to clear it up. Otherwise, commence with the public flogging.

Does all that mean?

"I'm sorry there was a mix up, the other person didn't want the book, but I did"?

I'm surprised no one pointed out how in that same thread two people took books then backed out because they already had them. Last time I saw that happen, this thread mentioned how that's a no-no and to allow the seller/OP to sort that out etc.

I remember because someone gave up an XMEN 141 in Dales thread and I took it, then was told to allow Dale to sort that out instead of taking it up after the person mentioned that they didn't want it.

I then deleted my :takeit:

Glad you know the whole story. If you did, you'd keep your "ridiculous" comments to yourself....

If you (or any of the other posters) have something you want to say, send a PM. Otherwise, you have no right to comment in something that doesn't involve you.

I do understand the point of this thread and it is just as it states, General Discussion. Feel free to say what you will.

In a civilized society when someone is being attacked they are given the right to defend themselves. Unfortunately, it would appear in this forum that many hold to the principle of guilty until proven innocent.

The problem I have with the conversation in question is someone has come in, linked to another thread and made a comment that instantly casts a negative light on it.

So I ask why? If anyone feels I did something wrong, why not PM me? Why not take the high road and come to a civil resolution?

No one has asked for the other side of the story; there was an immediate guilty verdict. Had they asked they would have been informed that the OP sent me a PM asking me if I still wanted the book because the first individual had passed on it and I had been second in line to purchase. The OP further stated that it was not the first individual’s book to give away if they passed on it.

Therefore, I did nothing wrong in purchasing a book I had expressed interest in. The comment I made about not dealing with others’ krap was uncalled for and inappropriate, I will grant you that. Like so many others, I am not immune to responding hastily when I feel I have been wrongly accused.

Again, if anyone feels what I did was so bad I would welcome a gentleman’s discussion via PM to clear it up. Otherwise, commence with the public flogging.

Why would you expect people to take the high road and PM you when you've received at least 2 strikes in the recent past for thread krapping?

Why would you expect people to take the high road and PM you when you've received at least 2 strikes in the recent past for thread krapping?

People can and will do whatever they want. They will cast judgment if they so choose. I served my time and learned something from it. There's not much else I can do.

I received a message from someone pointing out something that I didn't see....but see now. And I can see where one individual could feel slighted. That individual has not said a word to me or posted in this thread. I will reach out to him and clarify.

That's all I have to say....

I'm removing myself from the conversation before an additional foot goes in my mouth.

Edited by Columbia Comics

I'm surprised no one pointed out how in that same thread two people took books then backed out because they already had them. Last time I saw that happen, this thread mentioned how that's a no-no and to allow the seller/OP to sort that out etc.

I remember because someone gave up an XMEN 141 in Dales thread and I took it, then was told to allow Dale to sort that out instead of taking it up after the person mentioned that they didn't want it.

meh

Ya, I thought about that after I had caught some heat for offering to let someone else pick up a book in Dale's thread. Not the first instance of inconsistency on this point.

But that all happened *after* you posted the :takeit: , which is the entire point.

Does all that mean?

"I'm sorry there was a mix up, the other person didn't want the book, but I did"?

Person A hits the BIN on a book, and Columbalina here hits the BIN after him.

Person A sees that another person/friend wanted the books, so offers it to him, whereby Columbian Drug Lord states that since he was actually the second one to hit the BIN, he wants to buy the book if Person A does not want it.

Then it turned into a "I don't want any books, take my books too, etc." biotch fest where The Masked Columbian started in on a few people and they returned fire.

Later on, the OP sorted it out, giving the book to Columbo and making sure he didn't go away all angry.

And in case anyone wonders why I am less-than accepting of this behavior is that I have been part of literally hundreds of threads where Person A buy a book, then remembers that Person B needs that issue to complete a run, and offers it to them, and many times I was the second guy to hit the BIN.

And you know what I did?

Nada, I understood that favors are done sometimes, and since Person A hit the BIN, he can buy the comic and rip it up if he wants, give to someone else, or burn it in his fireplace.

This whole scenario raises issues that are worthy of a more general discussion...it's actually quite complex (although I'm not saying it should be...just seems like that's the state of the world).

There are two core issues here:

1) what are the "rights" of a thread purchaser with respect to a book he/she has "won", in terms of directing the book to someone else;

2) what are the "rights" of the person in a thread who posts the second 'take it'.

If the answer is anything other than "none" to both questions, seems like all sorts of dysfunctional behavior can arise.

Until today, I never thought about the need to specify rules in a sales thread that cover these issues, but I'm starting to think it'd be a good idea to do so. This shouldn't have to be this complicated... :facepalm:

If I were to ever grab a book and decide that I want my buddy to have it, I think it would be best handled by PM. You can always type the OP later when the thread is not hectic and ask him to add it to the other boardie's pile or if it is a single book ask to ship to the other party and pay the shipping (or have the other boardie pay for it and shipping). Making the statement in the thread itself can only cause hard feelings making outside parties feel cheated so in my opinion should not be done there.

If I were to ever grab a book and decide that I want my buddy to have it, I think it would be best handled by PM. You can always type the OP later when the thread is not hectic and ask him to add it to the other boardie's pile or if it is a single book ask to ship to the other party and pay the shipping (or have the other boardie pay for it and shipping). Making the statement in the thread itself can only cause hard feelings making outside parties feel cheated so in my opinion should not be done there.

(thumbs u

Threads can be very hectic. I know that there have been times when as the original poster I had to stop and look back or check my emails to see who won, what.

HOWEVER, most people don't get bent out of shape when someone tries to be nice to someone else. It might have been that the person offering didn't even see who was the 2nd take it, they were just trying to be nice.

These are comic books, collectibles...occasionally someone comes in and treats them as commodities, which makes for bad feelings.

While I admire your posts...(I really do think you use a lot of common sense :foryou:) I don't think we need more rules to take care of the few who get upset, I think we just have to remember these are comic books...and not food that our family needs to survive.

Instead of getting upset, the trick is to think about how nice it was of the other person to offer.

Plain old simple half glass full vs half glass empty mentality.

Threads can be very hectic. I know that there have been times when as the original poster I had to stop and look back or check my emails to see who won, what.

HOWEVER, most people don't get bent out of shape when someone tries to be nice to someone else. It might have been that the person offering didn't even see who was the 2nd take it, they were just trying to be nice.

These are comic books, collectibles...occasionally someone comes in and treats them as commodities, which makes for bad feelings.

While I admire your posts...(I really do think you use a lot of common sense :foryou:) I don't think we need more rules to take care of the few who get upset, I think we just have to remember these are comic books...and not food that our family needs to survive.

Instead of getting upset, the trick is to think about how nice it was of the other person to offer.

Plain old simple half glass full vs half glass empty mentality.

Oh, I completely agree with you. :foryou:

...and not food that our family needs to survive.

Although, there may be some here that disagree with this (i.e., the dealers whose job this is, where the books here are simply a source of inventory). And that seems to contribute to this conflict....alas...

When I first joined the forums, dealers were not allowed to sell. I don't remember if they were allowed to buy...I'm sure someone else will remember.

The idea as it was explained to me, was that this was a collector friendly venue and no one wanted dealers who did have to make money coming here and just exploiting the sales forums, taking them over.

Over the past few years we have had dealers (like Blazing Bob, Bedrock ...I'll stick to the B's) join in on the other forums and take part...it's not just those two of course, but I was at the top of the alphabet...

However, we have dealers showing up here who are only posting on the sales threads...and people who have shown up here who haunt the threads in search of bargains to resell.

It's hard to separate the little guys who are just grabbing bargains so they can flip them and buy their "grail" and the people who are only in it for the money.

There are certainly dealers who are collectors as well.

If the people who are a little more obviously here to make a $$$ would just mellow a little in their actions, I'm sure we could all get along fine.

The problem is when some people become so attuned to making a quick $$ that they forget this is a collector's forum.

The URL says "collectors society"....not shark tank.

Yep, I've seen a bit of discussion in old threads where this "allowing the dealers" issue was being discussed. It's thorny...I can understand both sides of the debate.

I think you nail it, in that the sharks need to keep in mind that this is indeed, first and foremost, a collectors' forum, and that they way they conduct their "business" here can drastically affect their business...at least where I'm concerned.