• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Nah, I don't think anyone involved in this discussion has an agenda either way. Everyone discussing this are pretty good board members as far as I know. I think we are just looking at things in different ways. In a few instances though, people seem to be glossing over or changing key words but that happens in any discussion. :)

It all comes down to

1) if someone posts :takeit: in a sales thread where :takeit: rules then is a seller obligated to sell it to them? If not then is it probation worthy?

2) the endless debate of Ocean's intentions which only Ocean knows. If anyone buys something from me I don't say "I think I'll sell it to you" or "I might sell it to you"

Eight days passed in his thread without any activity. When has enough time passed where the takeit is not considered an automatic entitlement to purchase the item? I think eight days meets that criteria. Personally, if I saw a thread that didn't have any activity for 3-4 days, I would probably post a takeit with the phrase, "if still available" and not be upset or look to nominate someone for the PL if they didn't sell me the book. But hey, in a world where everyone is looking for an angle or a defined box to manage every aspect of their life, maybe I'm the crazy one.

It all comes down to

1) if someone posts :takeit: in a sales thread where :takeit: rules then is a seller obligated to sell it to them? If not then is it probation worthy?

2) the endless debate of Ocean's intentions which only Ocean knows. If anyone buys something from me I don't say "I think I'll sell it to you" or "I might sell it to you"

Eight days passed in his thread without any activity. When has enough time passed where the takeit is not considered an automatic entitlement to purchase the item? I think eight days meets that criteria. Personally, if I saw a thread that didn't have any activity for 3-4 days, I would probably post a takeit with the phrase, "if still available" and not be upset or look to nominate someone for the PL if they didn't sell me the book. But hey, in a world where everyone is looking for an angle or a defined box to manage every aspect of their life, maybe I'm the crazy one.

No, you're not crazy. I had something similar happen to me recently and sold the books. Ocean's reaction didn't help. 8 days can be debated. I believe it was significantly less time from the last interaction between the buyer/seller and the :takeit: post.

Eight days passed in his thread without any activity. When has enough time passed where the takeit is not considered an automatic entitlement to purchase the item?

Exactly, and I bet I could fill up the PL to bursting by doing a long search on still-active threads from the past few years, cherry picking "hot" books that have skyrocketed in price since then and hitting the :takeit: on anything that was unsold.

But should I do it just to prove a point... hm

My fear is that by making any argument against those who believe he should be there is the automatic assumption that we have something to gain from him being taken off the list, or that we are in some way supporting him.

No, I am doing it because I think the verdict stinks and it sets a dangerous precedent for the rest of us.

Imagine starting a sales thread and forgetting to close it - weeks later some dickwad strolls in and puts a BIN on several books you traded away or put back into storage, and after advising him the books are no longer available, the little pe-rick starts screaming that you belong on the PL.

According to this judgement, any seller caught in this buyer trap (and it is a trap) should automatically be put on the PL.

Eight days passed in his thread without any activity. When has enough time passed where the takeit is not considered an automatic entitlement to purchase the item?

Exactly, and I bet I could fill up the PL to bursting by doing a long search on still-active threads from the past few years, cherry picking "hot" books that have skyrocketed in price since then and hitting the :takeit: on anything that was unsold.

But should I do it just to prove a point... hm

YES, you should. Because there is obviously no difference between a week old thread with an ongoing discussion about price and a thread that is 2 years old with no thread or pm activity. I mean when comparing the two, they are almost identical.

YES, you should. Because there is obviously no difference between a week old thread with an ongoing discussion about price and a thread that is 2 years old

I know, they're both still open. That's pretty basic, and no reason to repeat yourself.

My fear is that by making any argument against those who believe he should be there is the automatic assumption that we have something to gain from him being taken off the list, or that we are in some way supporting him.

No, I am doing it because I think the verdict stinks and it sets a dangerous precedent for the rest of us.

Imagine starting a sales thread and forgetting to close it - weeks later some dickwad strolls in and puts a BIN on several books you traded away or put back into storage, and after advising him the books are no longer available, the little pe-rick starts screaming that you belong on the PL.

According to this judgement, any seller caught in this buyer trap (and it is a trap) should automatically be put on the PL.

Which is why the discussion should be about an expiry on sales threads. (thumbs u

YES, you should. Because there is obviously no difference between a week old thread with an ongoing discussion about price and a thread that is 2 years old

I know, they're both still open. That's pretty basic, and no reason to repeat yourself.

I seem to have to because some people seem to leave out relevant facts as if they simply do not exist. However, you should do it to prove whatever point you wish.

I seem to have to because some people seem to leave out relevant facts as if they simply do not exist. However, you should do it to prove whatever point you wish.

According to the people on here, threads have only two states, OPEN and CLOSED.

Is there a mysterious third one I'm missing??

Books-moved-to-ebay-but-still-technically-available-on-here threads.

Books-moved-to-ebay-but-still-technically-available-on-here threads.

Is that a new Mod setting?