• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 1 CGC 5.5 sells for $507,500

84 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jahagans said:

So what is the entry point for this book right now (if I may ask that in this thread). There is a 1.0 for sale at auction next week...

The best place for you to get a good answer to your question here is on the Ask Gator thread below, since he is the acknowledged expert when it comes to the Price Per Point concept:  :gossip:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/197530-ask-gator/?page=325

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The best place for you to get a good answer to your question here is on the Ask Gator thread below, since he is the acknowledged expert when it comes to the Price Per Point concept:  :gossip:

Hehe

20 minutes ago, jahagans said:

Wow for a 1.0?!

I thought I saw a few low graders sell at that price point in the past year or so....see what Rick says..he would know. It may have been 1 or two copies at that price point but it may be lower (at least $50k-$60k). 

Edited by Primetime

8 hours ago, jahagans said:

So what is the entry point for this book right now (if I may ask that in this thread). There is a 1.0 for sale at auction next week...

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hehe

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Batman 1 has been 30-35k a point avg

superman 1 has been 50k or so a point. 

Entry level will vary

See, Like I told you.  :gossip:

Gator is faster than a speeding bullet when it comes to answering questions like yours.  (thumbsu

28 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I have a low grade Supes 1 and not letting it go for $50k that's for sure :p

Remember it doesn't apply to entry level :taptaptap:

7 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Remember it doesn't apply to entry level :taptaptap:

Can you fellas elaborate here? What's the difference between for instance a CGC 1.0 (blue) book versus what you consider "entry level"?

3 minutes ago, jahagans said:

Can you fellas elaborate here? What's the difference between for instance a CGC 1.0 (blue) book versus what you consider "entry level"?

1.0 is likely entry level.  It means more folks will consider this the best chance to get in and likely pay more then say a 2.0 or 2.5 or 1.8 

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

1.0 is likely entry level.  It means more folks will consider this the best chance to get in and likely pay more then say a 2.0 or 2.5 or 1.8 

Ok, please tell me if I understand this correctly... 

... Price per point applies to low grade 2,3,4 (but not necessarily to 'entry level' i.e. 1.0)

... Entry level will tend to have a premium

So if price per point for Supes 1 is $50k...

2.0 ~= $100k (assuming 50k price per point)

2.5 ~= $125k (assuming 50k price per point)

3.0 ~= $150k (assuming 50k price per point)

4.0 ~= $200k (assuming 50k price per point)

But since a 1.0 would be entry level, it might sell for a premium above that '50k per point' rule? (e.g. a 1.0 might be worth 65k rather than 50k, if a 2.0 is worth 100k)?

Thanks for the knowledge and patience with me BTW :-)

38 minutes ago, jahagans said:

Ok, please tell me if I understand this correctly... 

... Price per point applies to low grade 2,3,4 (but not necessarily to 'entry level' i.e. 1.0)

... Entry level will tend to have a premium

So if price per point for Supes 1 is $50k...

2.0 ~= $100k (assuming 50k price per point)

2.5 ~= $125k (assuming 50k price per point)

3.0 ~= $150k (assuming 50k price per point)

4.0 ~= $200k (assuming 50k price per point)

But since a 1.0 would be entry level, it might sell for a premium above that '50k per point' rule? (e.g. a 1.0 might be worth 65k rather than 50k, if a 2.0 is worth 100k)?

Thanks for the knowledge and patience with me BTW :-)

Seems most superman 1s are 1.0-2.5

at 3.0 and above probably closer to 75k a point (or more). Mid grade expect 100k a point 

last year multiple 1.5-2.0s sold around 50k a point. This year , who knows!

but yes, entry level typically gets higher avg bc most feel it's only opportunity. So they might consider paying /stretching 70k for a nice 1.0 bc they can't afford 100k for a 1.8

Edited by G.A.tor

On 3/10/2017 at 0:41 PM, TheSurgeon said:

In 2009 the CGC 6.0 AC #1 sold for $317k. The value of GA keys has exploded since then. Or have they always been exploding? I remember when GAtor bought a Captain America Comics #1 CGC 4.0 on the boards for around $14k probably around 2010.

In the post-JP The Mint hangover there were some flat to declining years. The prices for the recycled books that were selling were disappointing (including high profile books selling for a loss) and there wasn't a lot of really great new material to offset it.