• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2021 at 2:04 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

UKPVs with chipping are quite commomplace.

comicff12 (2).jpg

Commom baby, light my fire :bigsmile:

There you go @Pantodude - this is why it sometimes takes years of research to get anywhere near to proving an initially observed pattern. Maybe Albert's are the only ones, but chances are there are a lot more out there than the initial sweep suggested. You have to look, and look, and look.....

On 10/10/2021 at 2:26 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Sure they are not.

I know, I just didn't want to rub it in Albert.

On 10/10/2021 at 2:26 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

I only looked at my first 12 copies of FF, 2 of which are cents, so 30% of my UKPVs in this title have chipping.

And we have now clocked up 100 pages in this thread.

Hooray!

clangers.gif.383e8f2ccde3518f1cfa775f48eec8e8.gif

On 10/10/2021 at 9:26 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

Sure they are not.

I only looked at my first 12 copies of FF, 2 of which are cents, so 30% of my UKPVs in this title have chipping.

And we have now clocked up 100 pages in this thread.

How could you derail a prospective project so callously!  What am I to do with all of my free time now?   :nyah:  Seriously, thank you for your quick post before I rented new digs to set up a serious research effort, or more realistically spent the rest of the morning on the issue. 

Edited:  I just looked at all your examples.  Thanks

FWIW, I have many UKPVs, mostly keys (some grails), but also run-type books, and none have MC, even my early FFs.  Small in the grand scheme of things, but I know for a fact I did not make my acquisitions with MC as a consideration (I don't particularly mind MC, although prefer less, of course), so what I came across was consistently MC-free.  That is why I thought there was something to the absence of MC among my UKPVs.    

So i was just lucky.   That's kinda boring.  But I'll live with it.    

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/10/2021 at 2:40 PM, Pantodude said:

How could you derail a prospective project so callously! 

This is why it's good to have people like Albert and Kev contributing to the UK distribution mythos - their collections are so vast, they're often a better checkpoint than the whole of eBay combined :cloud9:

On 10/10/2021 at 10:25 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

This is why it's good to have people like Albert and Kev contributing to the UK distribution mythos - their collections are so vast, they're often a better checkpoint than the whole of eBay combined :cloud9:

@Albert TatlockAbsolutely!   As I've said before, I am very grateful for all the insight offered here by vets like you both.  It was also a fun mental exercise while I struggled to get to sleep last night.  And I was glad you had responded by the time I woke up (too early!) today, so it's all good.  Now to find another distraction while I wait for CGC to return numerous books to me.    

On 10/10/2021 at 3:33 PM, Pantodude said:

Now to find another distraction while I wait for CGC to return numerous books to me.    

A two-year distraction then :bigsmile:

There have been a few avenues of exploration that I've abandoned down the years Panto, following an initial flash of inspiration, so don't feel bad. I actually abandoned a DC Thorpe & Porter stamp numbering review, concluding it was pointless, only to be later shown by Albert and others that it wasn't. I was on the right track too, annoyingly, but let certain rogue examples persuade me that the pattern wasn't there. 

Often, too, you'll find one unsuccessful review leads to another more successful one. So it's always worth throwing these ideas out there. 

They were a few threads on here back in time about which were printed first and a boardie who worked in the printers said that the UK copies were always printed first as they were used as test lots to prove everything was working correctly, not many people here understandably were keen to hear this and lots of arguing ensued lol 

I would bet blades were changed/sharpened as and when required and not before, if it was a big deal, the copies with chipping would have failed quality control and never made it out, I dont think they cared enough, they were only comics :insane:

On 10/10/2021 at 1:51 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

And a couple of Hulks. The chipping on no 3 is only minor, so I have put a white sheet behind to show it more clearly.

I have noticed a couple of others with stress lines on the inside of the front cover, probably just short of the threshold for chipping to begin.

comichulk1 (2).jpg

comichulk3 (2).jpg

Early Hulk pence!   Nice.  Thanks for sharing.  

On 10/12/2021 at 3:03 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

jim132.jpg.98445a32c30e117ec7a6dc23f5793a03.jpg

OK, left a bit...

jim133.jpg.456466c9b9302144f1858d476e8a7514.jpg

...bit more...

jim131.jpg.50789d5d42151d7e24dfed336251cd5c.jpg

....now right just a touch...

jim134.jpg.edcca0ab2c00d55c1aef4a43183832f4.jpg

....fire!

:hi:

I bid on one of those the other day, but missed out. Admittedly, I bid in a lazy, one-bid-go-do-something-else-get-sidetracked-forget-about-auction kind of way, but I still wanted the thing. Was it you who beat me to that one? I kind of hope it was. Don't want someone else getting one of our UKPPVs. :insane:

On 10/13/2021 at 10:16 AM, rakehell said:

I bid on one of those the other day, but missed out. Admittedly, I bid in a lazy, one-bid-go-do-something-else-get-sidetracked-forget-about-auction kind of way, but I still wanted the thing. Was it you who beat me to that one? I kind of hope it was. Don't want someone else getting one of our UKPPVs. :insane:

No, alas, it wasn't Daphne. I don't collect them anymore, the Marvel UKPVs, unless there is something unique about them or they're going so cheap it would be criminal to leave them. There's a discussion, I think, about whether these books should be called UKPVs and included in the figures. A bit like the Australian copies with 'official' AUS stickers on them, due, presumably, to someone forgetting to run off the printed AUS copy. Is a book with a cents price, later run over (by hand, given the movement?) with a UK price a UKPV? Is that not the same concept as a stamped copy? Or is the intent the salient point? As Daniel Kaffee once said, there's an argument to be made, either way, I suspect.

And I know what you mean about the one-bid-go-do-something-else-get-sidetracked-forget-about-auction losses too. They're annoying, aren't they. 

On 10/13/2021 at 11:29 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Is a book with a cents price, later run over (by hand, given the movement?) with a UK price a UKPV?

I noticed that the “7p” moved left or tight in alignment with the price blackout, suggesting that both were done together with a single stamp - manual or automated. Not sure it’s of any interest though. 

On 10/13/2021 at 5:01 PM, Garystar said:

I noticed that the “7p” moved left or tight in alignment with the price blackout, suggesting that both were done together with a single stamp - manual or automated. Not sure it’s of any interest though. 

Never say never. Who knows where this may lead?

According to Sherlock Holmes:

The affair seems absurdly trifling, and yet I dare call nothing trivial when I reflect that some of my most classic cases have had the least promising commencement. You will remember, Watson, how the dreadful business of the Abernetty family was first brought to my notice by the depth which the parsley had sunk into the butter upon a hot day

On 10/13/2021 at 5:01 PM, Garystar said:

I think you're right Gary, the alignment between the two does suggest one stamp. I can see the covers being run through a second machine of some sort once the mistake had been identified. 

On 10/12/2021 at 7:25 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Seems to me the chipping was more prevalent in the early days. Anyone have any idea when it got fixed?

No prizes, but who has the latest UKPV with chipping?

Yeah you are correct, I just did a quick look at the main titles and the latest issue I can find with definite chipping is FF#20 everything seems better after this.

That said I always hated chipping so I may have steered away from it in my buying choices or maybe not, as a lot of the time there wasn't much choice, take it or you have to do without :( 

On 10/13/2021 at 5:24 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

According to Sherlock Holmes:

The affair seems absurdly trifling, and yet I dare call nothing trivial when I reflect that some of my most classic cases have had the least promising commencement. You will remember, Watson, how the dreadful business of the Abernetty family was first brought to my notice by the depth which the parsley had sunk into the butter upon a hot day

It says a lot about the author's prose style when one cannot immediately discern the difference between an actual Conan Doyle quote or a parody. Brilliant either way.