• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2021 at 5:24 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

The affair seems absurdly trifling

He could have been talking about our combined efforts over the last 100 pages.

And yet, ...........and yet, as our neighbours in the midge-infested wastes to our north are aware, many a mickle makes a muckle.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
add 1 word

10K final hammer price on this UKPV just now:

947453181_16_10_21d.PNG.305a129be3e0306dc9edd21fff7c7090.PNG 1434334546_16_10_21e.PNG.fc3747d2550f300289d86eb07cd48f45.PNG

Add 25% commission, and that's a lot of money for what looked like a 3.5 to me - and with a rather prominent pen mark.

With each successive sale it seems that collecting the early Marvels is moving further and further out of sight for the average collector. AF#15 used to be the one collectors would lament as being out of reach financially. Looks like it has company now. 

Marvellous in one way, I suppose. Oddly sad in another, I find, as it sort of signals the end of an era. The era when it was obtainable. Who but the most wealthy would set out now to put an ASM run together, I wonder, knowing that the first issue, even in low grade, is now in the new car price range?

On 10/16/2021 at 9:50 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

947453181_16_10_21d.PNG.305a129be3e0306dc9edd21fff7c7090.PNG 1434334546_16_10_21e.PNG.fc3747d2550f300289d86eb07cd48f45.PNG

Add 25% commission, and that's a lot of money for what looked like a 3.5 to me - and with a rather prominent pen mark.

With each successive sale it seems that collecting the early Marvels is moving further and further out of sight for the average collector. AF#15 used to be the one collectors would lament as being out of reach financially. Looks like it has company now. 

Marvellous in one way, I suppose. Oddly sad in another, I find, as it sort of signals the end of an era. The era when it was obtainable. Who but the most wealthy would set out now to put an ASM run together, I wonder, knowing that the first issue, even in low grade, is now in the new car price range?

Interesting. A better result, UKPV-wise, than the AF15 7.0 recently.  If that's a 3.5, that raw pence book sold for $250 more than the GPA sale of $13.5K on Oct. 9th for a slabbed 3.5 cents version.  Just sayin'.   

Edit:  WOOPs...forgot to factor in the 25% commission, which means sold for over $17K!  All-time high for a 3.5 whether cents or pence, I think. 

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/16/2021 at 2:50 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

This is sadly why I’ve had to give up on my Amazing Spider-Man run at this point I’m going to sell most and keep a few cause it’s just to much to finish the run. On the bright side I did manage to complete one part of my goals with ASM and that’s to own a double cover 

On 10/16/2021 at 3:08 PM, Tghutcn said:

This is sadly why I’ve had to give up on my Amazing Spider-Man run at this point I’m going to sell most and keep a few cause it’s just to much to finish the run. On the bright side I did manage to complete one part of my goals with ASM and that’s to own a double cover 

Yes, I've bought and sold ASM runs a few times over the years and I suppose a little bit of me thought I'd do it again one day. Not now though. Maybe another Andru run, but nothing much lower. Shame isn't it. 

On 10/16/2021 at 3:08 PM, Pantodude said:

Interesting. A better result, UKPV-wise, than the AF15 7.0 recently.  If that's a 3.5, that raw pence book sold for $250 more than the GPA sale of $13.5K on Oct. 9th for a slabbed 3.5 cents version.  Just sayin'.   

It's always nice to see parity Panto, yes. I just wish it was at a lower overall figure....

On 10/16/2021 at 3:34 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, I've bought and sold ASM runs a few times over the years and I suppose a little bit of me thought I'd do it again one day. Not now though. Maybe another Andru run, but nothing much lower. Shame isn't it. 

Yeah it is a shame I guess I’ll just have to be happy with what I’ll keep and maybe one day I’ll try again on the run but now is an awful time to collect ASM. I’ll just make sure to skip McFarlanes run if I do go for it again 

On 10/16/2021 at 10:35 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's always nice to see parity Panto, yes. I just wish it was at a lower overall figure....

Holy, my bad.  I hadn't added the 25% commission to the 10,000 pounds sterling result (which alone would be about $13,750).  That means the raw pence 3.5 sold for over $17K, well over the $13.5K for on Oct. 9 for the cents version and also above the all-time GPA high of $16,800 set on Aug. 15.   Of course, in a way, it's sadly very expensive, but to be expected if AF15 has become the runaway train.   BTW, which auction house was it?

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/16/2021 at 3:47 PM, Pantodude said:

Holy, my bad.  I hadn't added the 25% commission to the 10,000 pounds sterling result (which alone would be about $13,750).  That means the raw pence 3.5 sold for over $17K, well over the $13.5K for on Oct. 9 for the cents version and also above the all-time GPA high of $16,800 set on Aug. 15.   Of course, in a way, it's sadly very expensive, but to be expected if AF15 has become the runaway train.   BTW, which auction house was it?

Excalibur. Makes a big difference, doesn't it, that 25%. 

On 10/16/2021 at 4:44 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Who are the people who think that 'flat/unfolded' is a good condition description for comic books.

Indeed. The ebay of the auction world. 

On 10/13/2021 at 11:29 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Is a book with a cents price, later run over (by hand, given the movement?) with a UK price a UKPV? Is that not the same concept as a stamped copy? Or is the intent the salient point?

I'd always assumed (I know, I know) that this was just part of the printing process, albeit at a slightly later stage. I'm firmly in the 'intent' camp (as opposed to the incamp tent - ha!). If someone in the process had to go back and error-correct, that's still part of the process to my mind. It's a bit like the 6p/8p stickers on the 25c issues from November, 1971. I feel that those are the only 'true' sticker variants because the stickers were an error correction and a late-stage part of the printing process (or a very early part of the distribution process?). (thumbsu

On 10/18/2021 at 9:00 AM, rakehell said:

I'd always assumed (I know, I know) that this was just part of the printing process, albeit at a slightly later stage. I'm firmly in the 'intent' camp (as opposed to the incamp tent - ha!). If someone in the process had to go back and error-correct, that's still part of the process to my mind. It's a bit like the 6p/8p stickers on the 25c issues from November, 1971. I feel that those are the only 'true' sticker variants because the stickers were an error correction and a late-stage part of the printing process (or a very early part of the distribution process?). (thumbsu

It's worth a discussion at least, isn't it Grace. 

I like the idea that there has to be an intent based printed price difference for a book to be classified as a UKPV. Then you have the books that have been clearly manually amended where the intent to produce a printed UKPV was messed up. 

The 6p stickered Marvels already have a printed UKPV price (8p) under those stickers, so they already qualify as a UKPV. If they had a cents price underneath, I would see the intent, but would be reluctant to call them actual UKPVs. The application of a removable (and addable by anyone) sticker does not feel worthy enough to me to qualify if applied to a cents copy. Some of the Australian Marvel Price Variants have 'official' price stickers over the US prices. Those I do not include in the figures, but add them as a sub-category. Copies exist however where the US price is stickered with an AUS price, but the barcode was printed with the AUS details. So those I count as official APVs, as they have an intended AUS related printed difference.

These Marvel 7p jobs are clearly officially reworked. There should have been a UKPV, they missed it, but made the decision to over print the cents copy, presumably manually (as our moving examples seem to show) with a 7p price. Is that any different to an after the event sticker application though? Probably, as it cannot be removed. But the visible cents price irks me for some reason. I do include them in the figures, though there is an argument not to, I think. Tenuous maybe, but it's there.

All good fun.

On 10/18/2021 at 10:35 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's worth a discussion at least, isn't it Grace.

Always, Dolores.

The 6p stickered Marvels already have a printed UKPV price (8p) under those stickers, so they already qualify as a UKPV. If they had a cents price underneath, I would see the intent, but would be reluctant to call them actual UKPVs.

I like to recognise them both as variants, because of the intent. I've seen 8p variants that look like they've never had the 6p sticker on, so doubtless some were missed in the process. But there are also a ton of the 6p stickered variants out there. Maybe the 6p are a variant of the 8p variant? UK8P6PSV anyone? :insane:

These Marvel 7p jobs are clearly officially reworked.

As are the 20p Marvel Classics Comics #5 & 7. Looks like the same process, too.

Is that any different to an after the event sticker application though? Probably, as it cannot be removed.

I'd say it depends on who did the stickering and when. If, as is arguably possible, the same underpaid intern got the cr@p job of 6p-stickering a huge pile of misprinted 8p comics and the job of manually re-stamping a pile of JIM #13 and later the MCC #5 & 7, I'd struggle to see a difference.

But the visible cents price irks me for some reason.

You're just being fussy. I like it because it highlights the process, or part of the process, at any rate.

All good fun.

Agreed. (thumbsu

On 10/20/2021 at 9:55 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes. Yes, I think I am. See your around, Joan.... 

tumblr_p0ptg4gINw1qg4p4so4_250.gif.fe1ab898bbedb355bcf0b561872dc4e7.gif

That sounds ominous. 

I was going to ask you if page one of this thread is still correct. I can't scroll through all those pages. I hate the quotes that reprint images again and make for such tedious scrolling. So I guess now we'll never know if this comic does or doesn't exist as a UK priced variant. Be seeing you

102.jpg

On 10/20/2021 at 8:46 PM, themagicrobot said:

That sounds ominous. 

I was going to ask you if page one of this thread is still correct. I can't scroll through all those pages. I hate the quotes that reprint images again and make for such tedious scrolling. So I guess now we'll never know if this comic does or doesn't exist as a UK priced variant. Be seeing you

102.jpg

It does, yes, that is to say that it's on the list:

Quite a rare one though - it took me a long time to find a copy. 

I chuck a McGoohan in every so often to see if anyone is awake. It rarely works.  

On 10/20/2021 at 8:51 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

It does, yes, that is to say that it's on the list:

Yes but where am I and new visitors supposed to easily find that updated list dated May 5th 2019? Have there been no new discoveries since then? I would guess new visitors wanting to comprehend what a UK price variant is would visit page one of this thread where different information displays. Websites/Blogs can have "stickies" of important information at the top. Here everything is buried among 100 pages and counting.

Your chucking in a McGoohan didn't work for me as I thought it meant you were leaving this forum.

Edited by themagicrobot

On 10/21/2021 at 9:43 AM, themagicrobot said:

Yes but where am I and new visitors supposed to easily find that updated list dated May 5th 2019?

May the 5th is the day I created the page, but you'll see that I update it with the latest figures as they are discovered. It's not ideal, but hopefully better than nothing.

Have there been no new discoveries since then? I would guess new visitors wanting to comprehend what a UK price variant is would visit page one of this thread where different information displays. Websites/Blogs can have "stickies" of important information at the top. Here everything is buried among 100 pages and counting.

Yep, I was originally constrained by the forum software as it did not allow users to amend posts after a certain time. So I created the journal pages to hold the latest positions on all the UKPVs I've documented, which is all of them. I have a small crowd of followers here, and they all know the drill now. Now you do too. One day I will get around to building my own website so I can make it suit my needs, rather than rely on this forum. It's free though, this forum, and a lot of the software I do like. Now that you've mentioned it though, I'll pop a note on the opening page (I now have special powers 10) directing new readers to the summary page. I can't do anything about its date though. 

Your chucking in a McGoohan didn't work for me as I thought it meant you were leaving this forum.

I've done it about 500 times over the last five years and it's never worked for anyone so don't worry. Only certain members are allowed to build a frippery following here and I've never been invited to the club. Personally, if I found a summary of detailed comic research presented by John Morlar and Harold Pelham, I'd mention something about it to the author. Only Petunia seems to get it. 

One day of course, the Rover will get me and it will be the last one 1488126892_Prisoner-resigned.gif.bd6832adfc6d48a15fc30cc77804469c.gif