• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the Boards Mean to You
3 3

69 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2017 at 0:29 AM, thehumantorch said:

Was talking to porcupine tonight and he mentioned how long he'd been here and how important this place has been to him.

Got me to thinking about how long I've hung out here and how it's changed the hobby for me.

I First came here to learn about CGC books.  Had none and had never seen one except in pictures.  I didn't know any other collectors, rarely spent more than $200 on a book, hell rarely spent more than $50 on a book.  I didn't know  about pedigree books aside from the Mile Highs, pressing, grading standards, auction sites outside ebay, or restoration.

Looking back it's startling to realize just how important this place has been to me and how much it's changed the hobby for me.

I've talked to a lot of great people, met quite a few in person, bought some wonderful books, expanded my budget, learned so so much and overall found the hobby more rewarding.  Thanks CGC.

I returned to collecting, buying/trading/selling comics as a low-stress hobby, along with gardening and others. When I found a box of old comics I had from when I was a kid back in the early 70's, it rekindled my excitement in the art, the characters, the nostalgia, the stories, the memories. Plus my son was getting interested in it too, though not at his age (teens) as much as I was when I started (6-10). I am blessed that my wife supports my comic-hobby and along with my son we share good times going to comicons, meeting creators, etc. and exploring the wide spectrum that has now become an entire industry with tons of spinoffs most of which I care very little about (cosplay, funko, etc.). To me, it was always the art, the characters, the stories, the creators. I was "educated" into CGC by a stranger I happened to be standing in line at comicon with and we got to talking and he quickly taught me more about grading, storing, slabbing books. From then on I was hooked. I really enjoy rediscovering so much of my childhood which has become such a huge, huge part of American culture and entertainment in the past decade or two. I've tried expanding into the modern books (and even CA) but the characters had no "hook" to them like the originals from the GA/SA/BA too. Most of them at least. Plus so many moderns (including modern culture itself) has become unnecessarily "R-rated" - I'm no prude, but the shift to "adult" books just doesn't draw me in at all. Going back, I learned about the shift towards more "gritty" and "real" comic stories in the 80s/90s, and I guess for a spice or occasional change of pace that was interesting, but so much of it became gratuitous (again like the culture itself) that I still find most moderns, uninteresting for comics. And of course the political-correctness of the most recent shift in comics is too ham-handed for me to take seriously. There are exceptions of course (e.g. Watchmen). Anyway, so in my renewed education of collecting (or re-collecting) comics, I found this discussion board, which seemed very lively and active (there's lots of nearly-dead discussion boards out there that do nothing). So I really do enjoy learning - I've been on this board since late 2014 and I am still very much a novice, I lurk and learn and occasionally pop into conversations - but I come here mostly to learn, to learn about comics, collecting and the industry itself, because there are so many terrific experts here to learn from. I have a LCS that I frequent who also helps me a lot too. Anyway, so as I said I returned to comics mainly as a low-stress distraction from my dealing with my stage-4 cancer diagnosis in 2013. I reduced stress from my life, took a 30% cut in pay to reduce my workstress, started gardening and collecting, buying/selling comics which allows for me to mentally escape and get reacquainted with what I loved to do as a kid. I do enjoy this forum, the members (a few of whom I've met IRL) and the interactions of the long-time members/dealers etc. :cool:

On 3/14/2017 at 5:42 PM, Marwood & I said:

I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth. And indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory. This most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why, it appeareth nothing to me but a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculties! How like an angel in apprehension. How like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me, no, nor woman neither. Nor woman neither. I quite like comics though, and this is quite a good place to talk about them.

L.O.L  Just in jest (i hope) ......

On 03/04/2017 at 3:06 AM, 1950's war comics said:
On 14/03/2017 at 9:42 PM, Marwood & I said:

I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth. And indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory. This most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why, it appeareth nothing to me but a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculties! How like an angel in apprehension. How like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me, no, nor woman neither. Nor woman neither. I quite like comics though, and this is quite a good place to talk about them.

Many a true word spoken in jesticles  

On 05/04/2017 at 0:41 AM, thehumantorch said:
On 03/04/2017 at 3:06 AM, 1950's war comics said:

No, I think it all really happened....

resize.gif.49163a583afa5496a066ba2997152e57.gif