• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction
3 3

313 posts in this topic

Platinum night indeed. Whatever they're serving I'd like to carry a flask of it with me when I go to sell my pieces to serve to interested parties. 

25 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

More than one guy wants this one...I hope they keep in touch with each other. lol

I have zero inside info, but I bet it was Vacuum vs. Fish.  You can pretty much rule out most every other usual suspect once you get to that kind of price level for a piece like this. 

Edited by delekkerste

2 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I have zero inside info, but I bet it was Vacuum vs. Fish.  You can pretty much rule out every other usual suspect once you get to that kind of price level for a piece like this. 

Seems logical

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I have zero inside info, but I bet it was Vacuum vs. Fish.  You can pretty much rule out every other usual suspect once you get to that kind of price level for a piece like this. 

Makes sense, if you can convince yourself this is the "Next" Wolverine, and dollar cost average the Wolverine tax against the 1st appearance modifier and factor the product of that equation against the Movie bump theorem....you get about $72k.

Just now, comix4fun said:

Makes sense, if you can convince yourself this is the "Next" Wolverine, and dollar cost average the Wolverine tax against the 1st appearance modifier and factor the product of that equation against the Movie bump theorem....you get about $72k.

Well, if Fish won it, then his average cost for Wolverine 1st appearances is down from $657,250 to $364,475. :insane: 

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

Well, if Fish won it, then his average cost for Wolverine 1st appearances is down from $657,250 to $364,475. :insane: 

Exactly, it would have felt like a throw in....like buying a color guide along with your Watchmen page. lol

Lots of pieces with robust final numbers, lots more with respectable finishes, and a few relative thuds, but very few. 

$65K for the Comedian and $20K each for the rest of the Watchmen paintings. I wonder if they were kept together?

Fritz may have been the most culturally-important lot this go around. Lucas Museum got The Bible. This would make a nice companion.

The thing about bidding in the room or by phone is that people tend to forget the juice.

Edited by BCarter27

42 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Don't forget 70 cents on the dollar , even the adamantium cant fight sexism...

I am kinda stunned that Captain America 211 cover only went for 20k.   I know it's been passed around a lot since 2012, but I think it sold on Heritage back then for right around the same price.  That CA annual cover sold on Comiclink since then for 40k... a little better Cap image I guess, but wow, double?

I'd say that maybe all that lawsuit garbage is hurting the Kirby sales - but it obviously didn't stop the Thor cover from crossing the 100k mark....  

Edited by Flambit
I used a word that wasn't allowed, I guess?

9 minutes ago, Flambit said:

I am kinda stunned that Captain America 211 cover only went for 20k.   I know it's been passed around a lot since 2012, but I think it sold on Heritage back then for right around the same price.  That CA annual cover sold on Comiclink since then for 40k... a little better Cap image I guess, but wow, double?

I'd say that maybe all that lawsuit garbage is hurting the Kirby sales - but it obviously didn't stop the Thor cover from crossing the 100k mark....  

only 9k more than the Devil Dino cover?

9 minutes ago, Flambit said:

I'd say that maybe all that lawsuit is hurting the Kirby sales - but it obviously didn't stop the Thor cover from crossing the 100k mark....  

I used to own the Cap 211 cover (sold it last year) and agree it went cheap.  Like you said, the CA annual cover went for 40K and we've seen multiple private sales/offers of similar era Kirby Cap covers in the $30Ks as well.

thought the Kirby Thor cover went low too given that it was twice up, albeit with some added borders. Though, it's not like we haven't seen heavily worked on Kirby 2-up Thor covers sell for a lot more than this one did.