• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction
3 3

313 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, chromium said:

Which one was it ? The Byrne Iron Man page ?

Dilbert sunday. Never seen one sell, was hoping for 2k but ended a few hundred short. Still good, but you always want more!

Just now, zhamlau said:

Dilbert sunday. Never seen one sell, was hoping for 2k but ended a few hundred short. Still good, but you always want more!

Yeah, could have gone a tad higher I agree... but I think you did ok.

Just now, vodou said:

Not to take anything away from what's on the front, but how much of the hammer was for what's on the back?

true - artist notes are always a nice bonus, but a full-on letter to the writer is uber-cool in the note department.

Seem to be a whole bunch of "this item has been withdrawn" in this section and coming up...

anyone know how this happens? Can people call up and say they changed their mind? Was it worked out before hand they can do this?

11 minutes ago, vodou said:

Not to take anything away from what's on the front, but how much of the hammer was for what's on the back?

I can't speak for the winner, but I was the under-bidder on that one and the note on the back didn't have anything to do with my bid (not that it isn't an interesting curio).  I'm just an X-Men fan whose budget will not accommodate even a mediocre first-run Cockrum or a Byrne.  I thought the page in question was actually really nice for a second run Cockrum and I get the sense that the window for quality Cockrum pages going for low 4 figures is quickly closing.  If I had been doing this even 5 years ago, I'd probably scoff at that price, but every day that goes by brings me closer and closer to getting shut out of the pre-JRJR X-Men market completely so I'd like to fill that hole in my collection sooner rather than later.

All this time, it was just the auctioneer's mic that was set too low.

The person who just replaced him is coming through at twice the volume. 

Just now, comix4fun said:

All this time, it was just the auctioneer's mic that was set too low.

The person who just replaced him is coming through at twice the volume. 

Or he was a low talker.

18 minutes ago, Doctor Joe said:

Seem to be a whole bunch of "this item has been withdrawn" in this section and coming up...

anyone know how this happens? Can people call up and say they changed their mind? Was it worked out before hand they can do this?

Looks like they were Kirby pieces.

In the catalogue one of the pulled lots still had a panel showing (Kirby)

2 minutes ago, chromium said:

Looks like they were Kirby pieces.

In the catalogue one of the pulled lots still had a panel showing (Kirby)

I believe that panel is from the Eternals robot-Hulk storyline.

7 minutes ago, drdroom reborn said:

I believe that panel is from the Eternals robot-Hulk storyline.

I take it back, its from one of the What If pages that did sell. IIRC, the missing pages were two more pages from X-men 2.

43 minutes ago, rocket1312 said:

I can't speak for the winner, but I was the under-bidder on that one and the note on the back didn't have anything to do with my bid (not that it isn't an interesting curio).  I'm just an X-Men fan whose budget will not accommodate even a mediocre first-run Cockrum or a Byrne.  I thought the page in question was actually really nice for a second run Cockrum and I get the sense that the window for quality Cockrum pages going for low 4 figures is quickly closing.  If I had been doing this even 5 years ago, I'd probably scoff at that price, but every day that goes by brings me closer and closer to getting shut out of the pre-JRJR X-Men market completely so I'd like to fill that hole in my collection sooner rather than later.

Thanks for speaking up! Even going in prior to the session today I thought the number was strong (err really strong?), but I seem to be perma-wrong about the 2nd run market every sale. It wasn't so long ago, maybe three years back that I turned down a solid middle of the road page (just "a" page, can't even remember the issue number right now) for $1250, I think I offered $950 shipped and got laughed out of town. It subsequently went to auction and got (w/juice) approximately that same $1250. So I wasn't too wrong after all, and the seller had to eat $125 or so in fees. However ever since then the floor has been at least $1500 and really most times $2000 seems light (as in a steal). It's the usual curious thing about this hobby, as these things used to sit at $150 for months fifteen years ago. But going in today pre-auction at over $3k? That made me ask why. I expected it to stall there, but it didn't. I do understand wanting to get "one" example and be willing to pay up for it. Sorry you keep losing!

I was hoping to get the McCay editorial cartoon. I bought one maybe 3 years ago and I like mine better so I thought the price would be less than what I paid ($5500 IIRC). Very surprised at the $10,157.50 price (that is after fees, $8500 hammer). Makes the Donnelly ones I looked at back then for $6K and $7K seem like a deal!