• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ILLUSTRATION collection?"
1 1

277 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

The trouble I have in judging that price is that its a prelim.   'Does the final exist?' is the obvious question, but more to the point, I think it also introduces more volatility.     A couple bidders in 2010 could look at it and go - HOLY COW its LOTR, who cares if its only a prelim... and two guys in 2017 might think 'LOTR - how awesome... but jeez, I wish it were  the final.... PASS.'    You don't have that dynamic if its the finished piece although those can be volatile too of course.

About the price however, since you mentioned that.    I don't think the price is unreasonable at all, 17k for the covers to the tolkien trilogy?    that is PEANUTS.     The problem is... mehh... its a prelim... see above.    Its harder to peg the value and it implies less demand.   (RARE is the prelim of ANYTHING that I can muster the slightest excitement for, personally, and I don't think I'm alone).

If it was the final piece it would be a screaming deal at that price.    Even as a prelim, I think 17k today is as cheap as 35k was expensive in 2010.    

And that's from a guy who thinks it is a piece of steaming hot garbage.

I never thought this was the prelim. Is use of the term "cover study" what suggests this isn't the final version? it sure looks final to me.

Sure, of course.  It would not say 'cover study' if it was a final.   

Its likely a small scale color comp before tackling the real piece which was probably at larger scale.    A single sheet of paper per book is small.   The colours are way off as well although that's usually not the best thing to judge by.  

Yes colors are pretty worthless. Honestly, I am holding the original slipcase in my hand and this thing is identical in detail right down to the location of the three signatures. I think this is what was used on the covers, to be honest. I don't know why they called it a cover study though. This is roughly 2x the production size as well, but I don't know that much about collecting OA. I never thought this was a prelim.

Actually I can see the parting lines on the original slipcase. They line up perfectly with this art.

photo.JPG

Edited by cstojano

You could email heritage and ask them?    I can't imagine they would be calling it a study and negatively impacting the market if it wasn't a study.     Color as we said isnt usually a great indicator but in this case the differences are so notable that I suspect the artist completely revised the palette for the final.    It looks like more than just lightening or darkening the colours at the printer to my eye.

Edited by Bronty

18 hours ago, vodou said:

I know it bothers you that I prefer the pencils of major 90s pinball titles to the finished paintings. My preference is not because they more closely resemble comic art (non-color), as you suggested, but that the pencil stage is where the thinking happened, where the 'art' happened

I agree with you; sketches are where the inspiration usually happens. Prelims are very underrated (IMO), but as with most art topics, what you get (level of detail, artistic expression, etc) depends on the artist. 

17 minutes ago, Hekla said:

I agree with you; sketches are where the inspiration usually happens. Prelims are very underrated (IMO), but as with most art topics, what you get (level of detail, artistic expression, etc) depends on the artist. 

They are fun but they often exist in multiples, are small, not highly detailed, easier to fake, unpublished, etc.   No one would argue it's where ideas are fleshed out but they trade at a steep discount for a reason whether the artist is Frazetta or Gil Kane or anyone else for that matter

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

They are fun but they often exist in multiples, are small, not highly detailed, easier to fake, unpublished, etc.   No one would argue it's where ideas are fleshed out but they trade at a steep discount for a reason whether the artist is Frazetta or Gil Kane or anyone else for that matter

True. And to be clear, I'm not saying that they should be held at a price point closer to a published/finished piece, but feel like they can be regarded as pieces of art in and of themselves. YMMV depending on the artist, of course.

9 hours ago, Hekla said:

True. And to be clear, I'm not saying that they should be held at a price point closer to a published/finished piece, but feel like they can be regarded as pieces of art in and of themselves. YMMV depending on the artist, of course.

Oh sure.   I have some that I really enjoy; heck I kicked off this thread with one.   

As you say though I enjoy some prelims in and of themselves and someone could certainly enjoy the LOTR as a prelim and a very high level one (near finish) at that.    However those two little words 'cover study' can't help but completely change what it sells for IMO.  

Edited by Bronty

20 hours ago, cstojano said:

One more,  note the seams on the OA line up with the edge of the covers as the artwork does not wrap around the spine (which is plain white). 

This thread could use another pic.   Not last week exactly, but pretty recent addition.    Choosing to share it as people have told me there is a comics connection:   apparently in the Scott Pilgrim comics one of the bands is named Clash at Demonhead, and takes its name from the 1990 Nintendo game, the Clash at Demonhead.  

Here's the published piece and then the OA.    Its one of those, to me at least, delightfully ridiculous pieces that screams the time it was.    A miniskirt, a mullet, a hoverbike, a demon, a tiled mountaintop pathway, a metallic vest, a HORNED ROBED skeleton wizard (!!), and of course, a neon green ray from a space gun.     What more could a guy ask for :insane:

Sorry for the krappy pic but taking pictures of 30" pieces with an iphone does tend to lead to poopy results.   

ujxkhTU.jpg

QJwAHRf.jpg

Edited by Bronty

13 minutes ago, Bronty said:

This thread could use another pic.   Not last week exactly, but pretty recent addition.    Choosing to share it as people have told me there is a comics connection:   apparently in the Scott Pilgrim comics one of the bands is named Clash at Demonhead, and takes its name from the 1990 Nintendo game, the Clash at Demonhead.  

Here's the published piece and then the OA.    Its one of those, to me at least, delightfully ridiculous pieces that screams the time it was.    A miniskirt, a mullet, a hoverbike, a demon, a tiled mountaintop pathway, a metallic vest, a HORNED ROBED skeleton wizard (!!), and of course, a neon green ray from a space gun.     What more could a guy ask for :insane:

Sorry for the krappy pic but taking pictures of 30" pieces with an iphone does tend to lead to poopy results.   

ujxkhTU.jpg

QJwAHRf.jpg

Pfft, who cares about Scott Pilgrim? One of my favorite NES games and very underrated even today. Very cool.

Thanks!   The association didn't mean a ton to me either but I thought some might find it interesting.   It's a neat talking point/tidbit if nothing else

22 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Yeah the auction description is pretty helpful/informative .   Seems to confirm the heritage piece as a prelim also.   Thanks for sharing that.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

I think Scott Pilgrim is cool too, but Clash at Demonhead is one of those things that may have actually had me buying something other than comic art if I'd seen it available and it wouldn't pauper me.

Well that's flattering, thanks!   I have never played it but I always loved how whacked out the cover was and especially enjoyed how the artist's signature was being traced in the air by the skeleton

14 hours ago, Bronty said:

ujxkhTU.jpg

QJwAHRf.jpg

Nice one Dan. I love to see video game artwork. Anyone else here have some to share?

Here is one I found today digging for a notebook.

Star Wars Chess for PC and Sega CD color rough by Greg Winters.

3AJCjOIh.jpg?1

Edited by buyatari

Nice one. Its fun when I see stuff you have that I forgot you have  ;)

Everything you could ask for in a SW scene, as well, between vader/luke/lightsabers/bobafett/droids/deathstar/chewie etc

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Nice one. Its fun when I see stuff you have that I forgot you have  ;)

Everything you could ask for in a SW scene, as well, between vader/luke/lightsabers/bobafett/droids/deathstar/chewie etc

And not a single Ewok in sight  :cloud9: