• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reinvention of 'Pay It Forward' Thread
1 1

Do you think it's worth it to reconsider 'Pay It Forward' thread?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's worth it to reconsider 'Pay It Forward' thread?

• Yes
    • No
    • Need more details before making an educated decision.

128 posts in this topic

Reinvention of 'Pay It Forward' Thread

I just want to gauge interest in starting up a new 'Pay It Forward' thread with a few revised conditions.

1) This will be a CGC Pay It Forward thread. This will help in a couple areas: easier to determine value of a book so there is less argument about whether an offering is "worthy." Past sales and GPA can be used to determine if book offerings are on equal footing. If a user doesn't subscribe to GPA, again, past eBay sales can be a solid indicator.

2) Tier structure:

Bronze - $1 - $50 book

Silver - $50 - $100 book

Gold - $100 - $200 book

Platinum - $200 - $500 book

I don't anticipate many Gold or Platinum entries, but if we make that tier available it will help potential users understand what they need to submit when taking a book.

The previous 'Pay It Forward' thread had almost 1800 pages of content: while there was a lot of tension at times it was a success for the majority of its existence. I hate the fact that is spiraled out of control and would like to bring it back if we can iron out the problems of the original thread.

I'd like to get suggestions and opinions on this!

Edited by NamesJay

1 hour ago, kav said:

:devil:

Im genuinely curious on why you take pleasure in this? Are you going to intentionaly thread C it if he makes a new one? A lot of people really enjoyed that thread though the few bad apples as always made it seem bad.

Edited by CAHokie
New forums just eliminate words making the sentence sound weird.

I'm curious generally about what happened to the old one, I did not participate and didn't really pay attention, was it deadbeats who failed to meet obligations, arguments over equivalency, or something else?

6 minutes ago, crassus said:

I'm curious generally about what happened to the old one, I did not participate and didn't really pay attention, was it deadbeats who failed to meet obligations, arguments over equivalency, or something else?

The answer really will depend on who you ask.  I'm not really sure of the original intent but it became a trading thread where people took time and effort to offer up cool offers if they saw something they needed.  Big ticket or hot book offers were grabbed lightning quick and things went along smoothly for a couple days and then someone would grab a $100 book and offer up basically junk they had laying around.  Feelings were hurt and the term Junk Donkey was coined to indicate people who took way more then they offered and rules were enacted to help and people figured out ways around said rules.  I think the problem revolved around the name since paying it forward indicates the thread was meant to be a feel good thread with a hint of charity thrown in but it didn't work out very well.  Great social experiment but a ton of drama for basically a trading thread. 

16 minutes ago, crassus said:

Arguments over equivalency for sure, lol.  Things would be going awesome with multiple offers flying off the shelf in one night and then someone would claim an awesome item and offer up a wrinkled Ninjak 1.  The thread would come to an abrupt halt and sit dormant for a week.  In retrospect the vast majority of participants were great, but those few made the perception bad.

Edited by CAHokie

Thanks guys for the very clear summary, my other question is about remedies, everything gets infected with people who abuse or play the system, why couldn't this system compensate for, or work around the abusers?

11 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Is this why my post in the Giving Tree thread went poop?

Yep - there is still the thought that people will judge how much you take and if you take too much you are a Donkey.  Shipping cost will also be an issue when it comes to TPBs.  I find the number of people who will take a completely free TPB is pretty high but the number who will pay $6 in shipping drops considerably.  You have to find the person who wants to read it and has not read it yet and wants to pay $6 to get it and then you are golden. 

Just now, crassus said:

Thanks guys for the very clear summary, my other question is about remedies, everything gets infected with people who abuse or play the system, why couldn't this system compensate for, or work around the abusers?

The Pay it Forward thread spawned the Giving Tree thread which was suppose to correct all the issues but it turned out to be an even bigger headache (especially for the admin).  Veto power, revert back to the last offer, people working together to thwart the rules.  It became a full time job to keep track of it all.  All for a thread meant to bring good will to board members.

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

The Pay it Forward thread spawned the Giving Tree thread which was suppose to correct all the issues but it turned out to be an even bigger headache (especially for the admin).  Veto power, revert back to the last offer, people working together to thwart the rules.  It became a full time job to keep track of it all.  All for a thread meant to bring good will to board members.

That is a shame, but I understand. I'm guessing with that track record the idea of trying it again will have the additional hurdle that it won't be welcomed by admin, would that be a fair assumption?

The PIF had its' share of problems/drama, but that was not why the thread died. The thread died because a few people decided to kill it, or prove a point, or whatever...but there was a conscious effort to disrupt it that resulted in the thread being closed. Not people being unaware of value, not even people trying to take advantage of the thread/others generosity, but for spite and malice. So I don't expect another to last as you can never plan around douchebaggery if people are intent on causing some.