• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reinvention of 'Pay It Forward' Thread
1 1

Do you think it's worth it to reconsider 'Pay It Forward' thread?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's worth it to reconsider 'Pay It Forward' thread?

• Yes
    • No
    • Need more details before making an educated decision.

128 posts in this topic

@1Cool Thanks for the explanation. I've been following the thread, but like Marwood & I, I'm a newer member so wasn't familiar with the old PIF thread and the trouble that seems to have ensued.

From the perspective of someone with no direct experience, it seems the possible negatives may outweigh the intended benefit of reviving it.

8 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

The list of stuff that went on in the thread are way too long to go over all of it here but you have the gist of the idea.  The first 10 pages of the original thread were people basically offering up a few TPBs for someone's CGC 9.6 that they really didn't want then the next guy offered up some fun old wizard mags that he had sitting around.  Nothing really high value but eventually you would have someone offer up a hot modern or maybe even a OA page and people would hop on it in seconds.  The people grabbing the high priced stuff would often be the people without much to give so they would offer up a couple ratty books they had floating around and the thread would basically die until someone felt sorry and would take the crud and offer up something interesting.  This was ok the 1st time but when it gets to be a pattern and the same people did it over and over people started yelling about abuse of the system.  Rules were enacted to help keep things moving smoothly but it became quickly obvious that 1) nobody really wanted to pay for shipping or needed other people's "junk" so the thread died fairly often unless really nice stuff was offered 2) hurt feelings or abuse was frequent when you are dealing with higher ticket items being offered.  I found the thread fun when it went well but the good times were rare and the fighting was often. 

Thanks for clarifying 1Cool. It's an interesting proposal for sure, but I think your last line above probably sums up what would likely happen. Cheers

17 minutes ago, kav said:

Comic Swap:

Comics only no actions figures posters etc.  Offer put up, must get 10 likes to be accepted.  If no 10 likes in 24 hours offer must be replaced.  If this happens twice and no 10 likes, previous offer reverts.  No removing likes.  If member removes likes they are out of Comic Swap.  Once accepted if not taken in 48 hours, one of the people who liked it is chosen randomly from digits 1-10 based on the last digit of that day's Dow closing and they accept offer and are next up.

Will you be policing all that Kav? :wink:

3 minutes ago, kav said:

I'll have an advisory function only.

Heh heh. I won't offer to help if you don't mind. It's all I could do to keep up with yesterday's 'Twenty Questions #4'.....

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

Heh heh. I won't offer to help if you don't mind. It's all I could do to keep up with yesterday's 'Twenty Questions #4'.....

dang

15 minutes ago, Foley said:

@1Cool Thanks for the explanation. I've been following the thread, but like Marwood & I, I'm a newer member so wasn't familiar with the old PIF thread and the trouble that seems to have ensued.

From the perspective of someone with no direct experience, it seems the possible negatives may outweigh the intended benefit of reviving it.

Yep. You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.....

6 hours ago, 1Cool said:

What do you see as the basic intent of the PIF thread?  Let's make the assumption no one really needs the items being offered up so then you are paying forward a gift to someone else - kind of like the Christmas exchange? 

You want to pay a good dead forward by offering up something that will be treasured by the other person?  If that is the case you would really need to offer up something insanely special to fall into the treasured category for most people on the boards.  What do you think the best outcome of the PIF thread could be?

I know your a flipper/dealer but some people on here do collect and read.  Novel idea actually taking something to read .  Change the name call it a new version of screw the neighbor.  Or better yet its kinda like a pyramid scheme, get in early grab some stuff before it tumbles.  I get what your saying and if that's the case your totally right, it should just stay dead!  I am sure some like the drama.

Its kinda like a game: make it like that then and change the name, go with progressive offers first offer is 20 dollars in value who ever takes it has to put up 30 bucks in value add ten bucks all the way to 100 dollars in value. then repeat.  I like the like option mentioned above make it so you can only grab one offer in each progression.  You can only grab the 100 offer once every 2 months or something like that.. you can only grab a 70 -100 offer if you are in on the upside of the progression.  It would have to be better thought out but could work and be fun as a game with unbeatable rules.   make it a game. Make it a gamble----------------  Flippers/ dealers / collectors and readers all welcome.

6 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Well, I'm Junk Donkey, check it and see
I got a fever of a hundred and three
Come on baby, do you do more than trade?
I'm Junk Donkey, I'm Junk Donkey

You don't have to read my mind, to know what I have in mind
Honey you oughta know
Now you move so fine, let me lay it on the line
I wanna know what you're doin' after the (comic) show

Now it's up to you, we can make a comic rendezvous
Just me and you, I'll show you comics like you never knew

That's why, I'm Junk Donkey, check it and see
I feel a fever burning inside me
I'm Junk Donkey, I'm Junk Donkey (I'm hot)

Now it's up to you, can we make a comic rendezvous? oh
Before we do, you have to get away from you know who

Well, I'm Junk Donkey, check it and see
I got a fever of a hundred and three
I'm Junk Donkey, I'm Junk Donkey

Junk Donkey, I'm a little bit high
Junk Donkey, you're a little bit shy
Junk Donkey, you're making me kvetch
Junk Donkey, for your sweet sweet drek

:roflmao:(worship)

21 minutes ago, paul747 said:

I know your a flipper/dealer but some people on here do collect and read.  Novel idea actually taking something to read .  Change the name call it a new version of screw the neighbor.  Or better yet its kinda like a pyramid scheme, get in early grab some stuff before it tumbles.  I get what your saying and if that's the case your totally right, it should just stay dead!  I am sure some like the drama.

Its kinda like a game: make it like that then and change the name, go with progressive offers first offer is 20 dollars in value who ever takes it has to put up 30 bucks in value add ten bucks all the way to 100 dollars in value. then repeat.  I like the like option mentioned above make it so you can only grab one offer in each progression.  You can only grab the 100 offer once every 2 months or something like that.. you can only grab a 70 -100 offer if you are in on the upside of the progression.  It would have to be better thought out but could work and be fun as a game with unbeatable rules.   make it a game. Make it a gamble----------------  Flippers/ dealers / collectors and readers all welcome.

Paul, check out The Giving Tree thread. I tried...for two months, I tried and hoped that we could have a well-intentioned thread and added ruled after ruled after rule and STILL people tried to play the system. And even when people really weren't trying to play the system, some were accused of playing the system because value was/is ALWAYS taken into consideration. The reason is has to be is there WILL ALWAYs be weasels here that are only out for themselves and play the "I'm poor and don't own much" card.

The real "PIF" thread really should be the newest one - "RAK" - which was a spinoff from The Giving Tree. It's the "Random Act of Kindness" thread with zero rules and free stuff. After a few days, there were a couple of people who :takeit: item after item. Heck, CAK took three things in two days. I think people stopped feeling like they were doing something nice and being generous and started feeling like they were being taken advantage of by the same weasels that lurked in the PIF thread. You can't do anything about weasels in the community. Junk donkeys lurk amongst us. If they weren't here, the threads might lurk.

You COULD start a group PM with interested participants since we now have the ability to add/subtract members from group PM's. Why not do it in private? Then you can eliminate any concern about junk donkeys and let people join in if they wish to. 

21 minutes ago, HarveySwick said:

Paul, check out The Giving Tree thread. I tried...for two months, I tried and hoped that we could have a well-intentioned thread and added ruled after ruled after rule and STILL people tried to play the system. And even when people really weren't trying to play the system, some were accused of playing the system because value was/is ALWAYS taken into consideration. The reason is has to be is there WILL ALWAYs be weasels here that are only out for themselves and play the "I'm poor and don't own much" card.

The real "PIF" thread really should be the newest one - "RAK" - which was a spinoff from The Giving Tree. It's the "Random Act of Kindness" thread with zero rules and free stuff. After a few days, there were a couple of people who :takeit: item after item. Heck, CAK took three things in two days. I think people stopped feeling like they were doing something nice and being generous and started feeling like they were being taken advantage of by the same weasels that lurked in the PIF thread. You can't do anything about weasels in the community. Junk donkeys lurk amongst us. If they weren't here, the threads might lurk.

You COULD start a group PM with interested participants since we now have the ability to add/subtract members from group PM's. Why not do it in private? Then you can eliminate any concern about junk donkeys and let people join in if they wish to. 

Remember Harv there were always more givers than takers in RAK.  

27 minutes ago, HarveySwick said:

:idea:hey Justin! great idea do an invite only trade club.

Edited by paul747

You never really had the option on the old Boards because a group PM couldn't be changed. Now you can add/subtract as needed. You could have a public thread asking anyone who would like to join to PM the organizer or just state :takeit: Then you send out the group PM and treat it just like the PIF thread. If someone tries pulling some junk donkey shenanigans, they can be removed from the group PM thread with a majority vote. You could do minor "suspensions" from the group PM or outright "bans". It could (hopefully) keep participants honest knowing that they really could be ousted from the group PM and you wouldn't have to worry about shills/trolls or the regular junk donkeys screwing it up for everyone.

So, based on responses and feedback here, I won't be the one to revive the PIF thread.

Alternatively, I'm going to begin a new thread with a "comic based game" with the winner of the game receiving a prize. 

Rules:

1) If you "win" you have to create your own game and offer a prize. The game could be as simple as a trivia question, but in the spirit of the contest, the harder the game, the better the prize should be. 

2) Must specify whether International members are allowed to participate. Or if there is an expectation of helping with shipping charges...

3) There should be a level of effort in producing the game. Nothing like "Who created Amazing Spider-Man?" Don't create a question that can be 'solved' by a Google search in under a minute.

4) It doesn't matter what VALUE your prize is. There is no need to offer a prize of equal value to the previous game runner. This will hopefully alleviate the issues with the PIF thread.

Before I begin the thread, "what say you?"