• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reinvention of 'Pay It Forward' Thread
1 1

Do you think it's worth it to reconsider 'Pay It Forward' thread?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's worth it to reconsider 'Pay It Forward' thread?

• Yes
    • No
    • Need more details before making an educated decision.

128 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bird said:

kav was not the first one to offer money that evening. kav did not kill PIF, he merely ran up to the corpse and kicked it a few times. But the point is moot.

Don't try to confuse @1Cool with facts!!!! :makepoint:

Why not change perspective.  Make the PIF only items under 20 bucks. (5 dollar min value-20 max value) keep all the other rules and no one have expectations of value.  Really just pay the free gifts forward . If someone puts a 20 dollar item up and the next guy puts up a 5 dollar item , who cares?   If you ever wanted to add a higher value tier, you could make it that only guys with successful offers get to participate.  The giving part is the fun, it will never work with high valued item's, trades are also not popular.  Add the rule that anyone crying over value is out!

Higher value offer...xxxxxxxxxx...... Only members with 3 successful offers can claim this !(random offers)

Edited by paul747

11 hours ago, kav said:

Don't try to confuse @1Cool with facts!!!! :makepoint:

My memory may be faulty but I distinctly remember telling you that offering cash would be the death of the thread.  It's been awhile so who knows who started that ball a rolling.

6 minutes ago, paul747 said:

Why not change perspective.  Make the PIF only items under 20 bucks. (5 dollar min value-20 max value) keep all the other rules and no one have expectations of value.  Really just pay the free gifts forward . If someone puts a 20 dollar item up and the next guy puts up a 5 dollar item , who cares?   If you ever wanted to add a higher value tier, you could make it that only guys with successful offers get to participate.  The giving part is the fun, it will never work with high valued item's, trades are also not popular.  Add the rule that anyone crying over value is out!

Who pays for shipping?  Nobody wants to trade for a $5 book(s) that cost $5 to ship?  International participants are pretty much out since shipping will be at least $10 and way up from there.  You can't even give away most TPBs so what are we really left with that people can trade to each other.  The concept is even more daunting considering the people on the boards usually have long boxes and long boxes of random books so it's tough to find a lower price book that people do not already have.

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

My memory may be faulty but I distinctly remember telling you that offering cash would be the death of the thread.  It's been awhile so who knows who started that ball a rolling.

Who pays for shipping?  Nobody wants to trade for a $5 book(s) that cost $5 to ship?  International participants are pretty much out since shipping will be at least $10 and way up from there.  You can't even give away most TPBs so what are we really left with that people can trade to each other.  The concept is even more daunting considering the people on the boards usually have long boxes and long boxes of random books so it's tough to find a lower price book that people do not already have.

Its PAY IT FORWARD its not about money! You want to "GIVE" then pay the shipping and feel good about the transaction "its the thought that counts" stop making it about value. If its about value it fails again and again and again.......  You can always just start a thread that will continue to be about b i t c hing and butt hurt just call it the " Junk donkey" leave PIF out of it.

Nobody wants to trade for a $5 book(s) that cost $5 to ship?   --------------------   Well then those people are in the wrong thread !

14 minutes ago, paul747 said:

Its PAY IT FORWARD its not about money! You want to "GIVE" then pay the shipping and feel good about the transaction "its the thought that counts" stop making it about value. If its about value it fails again and again and again.......  You can always just start a thread that will continue to be about b i t c hing and butt hurt just call it the " Junk donkey" leave PIF out of it.

Nobody wants to trade for a $5 book(s) that cost $5 to ship?   --------------------   Well then those people are in the wrong thread !

There is currently a thread set up where people can literally give stuff away for free and it's unused and people have a hard time finding anyone who wants the give aways.  PIF threads will always be a disaster and no matter how much talking goes on they will continue to be disasters.

Edited by 1Cool

Just now, 1Cool said:

There is currently a thread set up where people can literally give stuff away for free and it's unused and people have a hard time finding anyone who wants the give always.  PIF threads will always be a disaster and no matter how much talking goes on they will continue to be disasters.

Cap the value at 20-40 bucks

1 hour ago, paul747 said:

Cap the value at 20-40 bucks

Were you involved with the old PIF thread - I can't remember.  All of these discussions have been done multiple times before during the YEARS that the thread was ongoing.  The value keeps creeping up and up until it's enough to bring in the low ball offers.  And what are we really getting out of it.  If you feel like giving stuff away to people who need it - there is a thread set up for that.  If you have to offer up stuff to get something it will always be a trading thread which just does not work based on past experience.

Edited by 1Cool

If someone wants to try it and see if it either get killed by the admin or the participants, go for it. If those people are wanting for someone who did one of the previous incarnations in the past, good luck, I don't see that happening.

If I want to PIF I will do it in my own way whether its public or private. jmho

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Were you involved with the old PIF thread - I can't remember.  All of these discussions have been done multiple times before during the YEARS that the thread was ongoing.  The value keeps creeping up and up until it's enough to bring in the low ball offers.  And what are we really getting out of it.  If you feel like giving stuff away to people who need it - there is a thread set up for that.  If you have to offer up stuff to get something it will always be a trading thread which just does not work based on past experience.

Yes i did the PIf but it was all of the whining and arguing that made me never go back , honestly it was horrible and it seemed like the entire meaning was lost and it was negative much like your attitude and past experience towards it.:bigsmile:

Edited by paul747

Well, I'm Junk Donkey, check it and see
I got a fever of a hundred and three
Come on baby, do you do more than trade?
I'm Junk Donkey, I'm Junk Donkey

You don't have to read my mind, to know what I have in mind
Honey you oughta know
Now you move so fine, let me lay it on the line
I wanna know what you're doin' after the (comic) show

Now it's up to you, we can make a comic rendezvous
Just me and you, I'll show you comics like you never knew

That's why, I'm Junk Donkey, check it and see
I feel a fever burning inside me
I'm Junk Donkey, I'm Junk Donkey (I'm hot)

Now it's up to you, can we make a comic rendezvous? oh
Before we do, you have to get away from you know who

Well, I'm Junk Donkey, check it and see
I got a fever of a hundred and three
I'm Junk Donkey, I'm Junk Donkey

Junk Donkey, I'm a little bit high
Junk Donkey, you're a little bit shy
Junk Donkey, you're making me kvetch
Junk Donkey, for your sweet sweet drek

30 minutes ago, paul747 said:

Yes i did the PIf but it was all of the whinning and arguing that made me never go back , honestly it was horrible and it seemed like the entire meaning was lost and it was negative much like your attitude and past expierence towards it.:bigsmile:

What do you see as the basic intent of the PIF thread?  Let's make the assumption no one really needs the items being offered up so then you are paying forward a gift to someone else - kind of like the Christmas exchange? 

You want to pay a good dead forward by offering up something that will be treasured by the other person?  If that is the case you would really need to offer up something insanely special to fall into the treasured category for most people on the boards.  What do you think the best outcome of the PIF thread could be?

1cool what happened is someone offered $200 cash. I took the offer and offered an OA page then $300 cash.

Eh, I'd be interested but not just a CGC PiF thread. Often times, I was more interested in taking and offering many of the offers that weren't ACTUAL comics, since there's so many things that are more comics-adjacent that people are also interested in as well. But I was probably the odd one there.

I suppose I usually found typical PIF drama somewhat amusing. Except when it spilled over into other threads. On the other hand, Junk Donkey was coined during one of those spillovers, so maybe those were amusing, too.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

What do you see as the basic intent of the PIF thread?  Let's make the assumption no one really needs the items being offered up so then you are paying forward a gift to someone else - kind of like the Christmas exchange? 

You want to pay a good dead forward by offering up something that will be treasured by the other person?  If that is the case you would really need to offer up something insanely special to fall into the treasured category for most people on the boards.  What do you think the best outcome of the PIF thread could be?

That's a good question. I don't know the full history of this, so I'm probably about to repeat what has already been said, if not in this thread then in the past. I thought the concept of 'paying it forward' was for someone to do something good to a stranger on the understanding that that stranger does the same and then so on. The point is, that a huge wave of good will then flows forth.

What seems to be being proposed here - unless I am missing the point - is a 'swap shop'. I have a comic worth X which I don't want, and the person who does want it takes it from me on the understanding that they must offer something up of equal worth.  So the only way it can work is if there is always someone who wants the latest offering and that someone has a book(s) / thing of similar value that they don't want.

That can work technically, but is clearly fraught with danger. Tying a monetary value to it makes it almost certain that someone in the chain won't be happy. 

I salute the OP's intentions, which I think are to try to do something positive which would make people happy. I don't see PIF as the right title for it though. It's swapping books / things of equal value so the only good feeling that can come is from getting something you want and offloading something you don't.

Have I missed the point entirely? I'm genuinely interested!

Comic Swap:

Comics only no actions figures posters etc.  Offer put up, must get 10 likes to be accepted.  If no 10 likes in 24 hours offer must be replaced.  If this happens twice and no 10 likes, previous offer reverts.  No removing likes.  If member removes likes they are out of Comic Swap.  Once accepted if not taken in 48 hours, one of the people who liked it is chosen randomly from digits 1-10 based on the last digit of that day's Dow closing and they accept offer and are next up.

7 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

That's a good question. I don't know the full history of this, so I'm probably about to repeat what has already been said, if not in this thread then in the past. I thought the concept of 'paying it forward' was for someone to do something good to a stranger on the understanding that that stranger does the same and then so on. The point is, that a huge wave of good will then flows forth.

What seems to be being proposed here - unless I am missing the point - is a 'swap shop'. I have a comic worth X which I don't want, and the person who does want it takes it from me on the understanding that they must offer something up of equal worth.  So the only way it can work is if there is always someone who wants the latest offering and that someone has a book(s) / thing of similar value that they don't want.

That can work technically, but is clearly fraught with danger. Tying a monetary value to it makes it almost certain that someone in the chain won't be happy. 

I salute the OP's intentions, which I think are to try to do something positive which would make people happy. I don't see PIF as the right title for it though. It's swapping books / things of equal value so the only good feeling that can come is from getting something you want and offloading something you don't.

Have I missed the point entirely? I'm genuinely interested!

The list of stuff that went on in the thread are way too long to go over all of it here but you have the gist of the idea.  The first 10 pages of the original thread were people basically offering up a few TPBs for someone's CGC 9.6 that they really didn't want then the next guy offered up some fun old wizard mags that he had sitting around.  Nothing really high value but eventually you would have someone offer up a hot modern or maybe even a OA page and people would hop on it in seconds.  The people grabbing the high priced stuff would often be the people without much to give so they would offer up a couple ratty books they had floating around and the thread would basically die until someone felt sorry and would take the crud and offer up something interesting.  This was ok the 1st time but when it gets to be a pattern and the same people did it over and over people started yelling about abuse of the system.  Rules were enacted to help keep things moving smoothly but it became quickly obvious that 1) nobody really wanted to pay for shipping or needed other people's "junk" so the thread died fairly often unless really nice stuff was offered 2) hurt feelings or abuse was frequent when you are dealing with higher ticket items being offered.  I found the thread fun when it went well but the good times were rare and the fighting was often.