• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In before the lock: My wife puts me on a "Comic Time-Out."
1 1

91 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, NoMan said:

Since getting back into the hobby in July of 2016 I've put together a nice little collection. Last night the wife put me on a comic buying "Time-Out."

Can't buy another book until Terry's con in January of 2018.

I'm not complaining. I'm not complaining at all.

You obviously have not spent the same amount of money on her.  :bigsmile:

Men, when will they learn? :foryou:

5 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Apparently she also has your balls too! Maybe you should be called noballs.  

My wife and I have an arrangement, I don't ask about purses and shoes, she doesn't ask about comics.

Ha ha ... yes ... I have 2 daughters  as well ... I feel like I'm gonna be  buried  in an avalanche of shoes ...  

6 hours ago, oakman29 said:

My wife and I have an arrangement, I don't ask about purses and shoes, she doesn't ask about comics.

That works as long as both of you stick to some rational yardstick of spending relative to income/wealth.  

Ironically, my problem is that my wife is actually thrifter than me, so my still thrifty spending levels (for our income) seem wasteful in comparison.  It's hard to feel good about blowing money on comics when your partner in life is choosing to skip the fancy coffee to save $4.

15 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Shots fired...:baiting:

My wife and I keep our finances completely separate except to pay joint bills.  Nothing worse then having to "beg" your wife for some money to do what you want but of course you have to be an adult and manage your own finances.  

Edited by 1Cool

9 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

My wife and I keep our finances completely separate expect to pay joint bills.  Nothing worse then having to "beg" your wife for some money to do what you want but of course you have to be an adult and manage your own finances.  

Right on!  You have to be responsible for your family, and bills first. Comics are last on my agenda.

14 hours ago, Hado said:

I buy what I want, when I want.  And if my Wife has a problem with that, well she can......... oh *spoon* here she comes.

I just tell my wife, "I was collecting comics when I met you, and I'll be collecting comics long after your gone." :sumo:

55 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I just tell my wife, "I was collecting comics when I met you, and I'll be collecting comics long after your gone." :sumo:

I'll take your word that approach works. However, not gonna try myself

On 3/18/2017 at 11:09 AM, NoMan said:

My wife encourage all of it and more! She just said it's now time to chill a bit. And then today eating out at lunch she said, "If it's above 1k we have to talk about it, lower then that go ahead!"

Miller HG newsstand run, look out. 

So it looks like the ultimatum was lifted somewhat. When people go in full blown buying frenzies it kind of reminds me of the bull story.  I try to pace myself like an old bull in the comic pasture and get as much as possible. Slow and steady. :cool:

There are two bulls standing on a hill overlooking a pasture full of cows. The younger bull, eager, but lacking experience, says to the old bull “Hey, let’s run down there and !@#+ ourselves a cow.” The old bull, who has spent season after season in this pasture, turns to the younger bull, chuckles, and replies “Nah, how about we walk down there, and !@#+ them all.”

My 1st wife always hid stuff when she'd go shopping which was strange to me because I couldn't give a hoot.

I was with Louise for about 3 years when I bought my first big book. I flashed a Marvel Mystery #9 at her at the NYC Comic Con after working out a deal with GAtor.

She knew I'd bought it with the way I was holding it. She asked "How much?"

$25K, I replied.

She said as long as you pay the bills and it makes you happy we're all good.

The way she looked at it was that it could be worse. I could be spending money on illicit vices that have no real world value.

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I was with Louise for about 3 years when I bought my first big book. I flashed a Marvel Mystery #9 at her at the NYC Comic Con after working out a deal with GAtor.

$25K, I replied.

The way she looked at it was that it could be worse. I could be spending money on illicit vices that have no real world value.

I keep thinking you're from Toronto, but there's no way you met that woman there... did you bring her home as a souvenir from Montreal?

49 minutes ago, FineCollector said:
5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

$25K, I replied.

I keep thinking you're from Toronto, but there's no way you met that woman there... did you bring her home as a souvenir from Montreal?

She's from England.

I'm lucky. She's like one of the guys in many regards.

But I also understand how many don't see comic spending that way. My 1st relationship wasn't at all like that.

On 3/18/2017 at 1:07 PM, NoMan said:

What married person doesn't every now and then? My life is much richer and fuller with her, flaws and all. I'd be a fool to divorce. 

So, this means shes the bread winner then, eh?

My ex, who I was with for 6 years, did not collect anything at all. Very much the anti-collector you could say. Very minimalist. I am a young woman with a career and make enough money to spend a bit here and there on things, but it got to a point in our relationship where he became money obsessed. I hid my purchases whether it was clothing or books, because I knew I would have to JUSTIFY to him why I spent my money on it or why I felt I needed it. It would always turn into an argument of me HAVING to get rid of x amount of things before I was "allowed" to bring anything into the house, (purchases that were only ever made with my own money, by the way. Him buy me a book? Don't make me laugh.?)

Point I'm making is, when I decide to commit to my next relationship, it is going to have to be with someone who appreciates the "collectors soul." It seems to me your wife is reasonable and pretty understanding. I recently put myself into a "buying time-out" after going on a bit of a buying binge!! Haha

Edited by CrazyQuinn

I just tell my wife "I'm buying such and such" and she'll say "well that's just stupid"...  And that's the last I'll hear about it.  I made the mistake of telling her I was saving for an ASM 1 / AF15 so whenever a different book comes in she gives me mess about not saving for the key.  I've heard worse stories so It's not that bad.

12 hours ago, lizards2 said:

You are taking a page right outta my book baby.:headbang: