• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell me an artist and his/her best work

60 posts in this topic

is there some book that collects all the frazetta comic stories?  not his strips but the comic stuff.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

is there some book that collects all the frazetta comic stories?  not his strips but the comic stuff.

Definitely definitely get Untamed Love (fantagraphics 1987) its in comic format and has 4-5 classic short stories there.

Im not aware of any book that compiled just the short stories he did. But theres probably one out there.

Side note. Frazetta did TONS of work ghosting comic strips as you mentioned (lil abner, flash gordon etc) and alot of short stories (Durango Kid, Lovers Lane etc) and of course Thunda 1. So its all over the place really. If I were to chase comic work he did I would mainly focus on those around 1953-1954, as in my opinion, those are some of the best brush work finishes I have ever seen in comic format.

Im still looking for pieces of my brain which was blown many many years ago when I first saw these

30 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Silly me.. I always thought they weren't real ;)

ds.jpg

HA! I was actually looking for that same pic but couldn't find it with my first search so settled on the other one. Exactly...I'm pretty sure if I could draw like him I'd be doing the same thing (thumbsu

36 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Definitely definitely get Untamed Love (fantagraphics 1987) its in comic format and has 4-5 classic short stories there.

Im not aware of any book that compiled just the short stories he did. But theres probably one out there.

Side note. Frazetta did TONS of work ghosting comic strips as you mentioned (lil abner, flash gordon etc) and alot of short stories (Durango Kid, Lovers Lane etc) and of course Thunda 1. So its all over the place really. If I were to chase comic work he did I would mainly focus on those around 1953-1954, as in my opinion, those are some of the best brush work finishes I have ever seen in comic format.

Im still looking for pieces of my brain which was blown many many years ago when I first saw these

yep I got untamed love its a shame no one has ever done some kind of omnibus of all his stuff.

3 hours ago, Foley said:

For Bob Ross it would have to be "Mountain Waterfall."

Everything about it is glorious. From the happy little trees to the almighty mountains where the snow lives, you just don't get any better. Perhaps his quintessential work.

290453_5_.jpg 

My daughter statts fine arts program at Pratt Institute in September and she was amazed when we showed her Bob Ross.

Thanks guys! These are some great tips, I haven't read a bunch of this stuff. I will be getting that Frazetta Fantagraphics book. The IDW Artists edition of The Rocketeer was my first chance to read that story; I highly recommend it. The variety of the faces in the movie scene is amazing.

Now, who can point me to the best Alex Toth work?

4 hours ago, Bird said:

Thanks guys! These are some great tips, I haven't read a bunch of this stuff. I will be getting that Frazetta Fantagraphics book. The IDW Artists edition of The Rocketeer was my first chance to read that story; I highly recommend it. The variety of the faces in the movie scene is amazing.

Now, who can point me to the best Alex Toth work?

- Creepy Presents Alex Toth

- Bravo For Adventure

- Genius, Isolated : The Life and Art of Alex Toth

- Genius, Illustrated : The Life and Art of Alex Toth

- Genius, Animated : The Cartoon Art of Alex Toth

These are the ones I have. Nice books.

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Not sure but I don't think anyone answered you about Eisner outside of the Spirit,as you asked. I'd say A Contract with God and other stories, and The Plot. Also, Scott McCloud explained Eisner's brilliance and importance in Understanding Comics, I recall. 

Thanks. I read the McCloud book years ago, and I have Contract with God and some of the other GNs. I just was not blown away by them. I guess I need to go and read The Spirit. Not trying to be snarky, but I was to see someone's brilliance on the page and not have someone else explain why that person is brilliant. The new book KRAZY about George Herriman did some of that for me as there was some of Herriman's work in there that exposed me to his skill that I had not seen before. Maybe I will hit the library's nearby (Rutgers should have something) as I already have so many hardcovers to read stacking up: Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon, Art of Steve Ditko, a Little Nemo collection, even Lost Girls and Holy Terror. Those things take up space!

So The Spirit - is the best stuff before Eisner goes to war? The first 2 or 3 years? Or just after he returns? (I have unfortunately been exposed to The Spirit in space. Right, that was a thing right? Did Wally Wood draw those?)

19 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This run right here by Jim Starlin. 

9780785135128-us.jpg

Imma get that one. I have never read that stuff (an issue here and there yes) and like Jim Starlin's work, so I need to read the bestest. I know everything from IG on (yes, I have my Breed II issues) but never went back for these.

Just now, Bird said:

Imma get that one. I have never read that stuff (an issue here and there yes) and like Jim Starlin's work, so I need to read the bestest. I know everything from IG on (yes, I have my Breed II issues) but never went back for these.

What is great about it is it is not dated. I read it last year and it blew me away! (thumbsu

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This run right here by Jim Starlin. 

9780785135128-us.jpg

One of my favourite archival editions.  Excellent comics, superb remastering.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

So The Spirit - is the best stuff before Eisner goes to war? The first 2 or 3 years? Or just after he returns? (I have unfortunately been exposed to The Spirit in space. Right, that was a thing right? Did Wally Wood draw those?)

When Eisner returned from WW 2, his Spirit Sections were up on another level entirely compared to the pre-war material.  Essential, classic Golden Age.  Admittedly, I'm biased.

Haven't read the Outer Space Spirits in years.  IIRC, Wood did most but not all of the Sections in the storyline, and they were written by Jules Pfeiffer rather than Eisner.

I also hope my Alex Toth recommendations were useful.

Edited by Ken Aldred

48 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

When Eisner returned from WW 2, his Spirit Sections were up on another level entirely compared to the pre-war material.  Essential, classic Golden Age.  Admittedly, I'm biased.

Haven't read the Outer Space Spirits in years.  IIRC, Wood did most but not all of the Sections in the storyline, and they were written by Jules Pfeiffer rather than Eisner.

Yes, very helpful thank you. Both the Toth and now with this.

I read the most recent Pfeiffer biography and enjoyed it thoroughly. No surprise there though.

1 hour ago, faster friends said:

Almost anything by Alex Ross, Adam Hughs, Jim Aparo and Mike Kaluta

I love Kaluta's work...but I would be interested in what people feel is his peak work. One of my favorites by him is a Shadow Annual cover, here it is (new boards are so easy this way)

7637796d66e4d05ae1d5e28ddc4cc2d1.jpg

I love some of the choices he made here like the Shadow's clothes and more obviously the propeller.

What was he doing during The Studio days and should I check it out?

I would think Alex Ross' best is Kingdome Come. It is hard to separate from Marvels but even for this Marvel Zombie the DC book was better. The Treasury sized books are pretty sweet as well....hmmm,

59 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Going to check them out. In fact Comixology Unlimited has Creepy Presents Alex Toth  up on there now. (thumbsu