• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell me an artist and his/her best work

60 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

The art in the Dave Stevens piece is superb.  The girl on the left is stunning, and the art stands out in quality from the right hand side of the page (which is also excellent of course). Do you think Dave would have 'copied' the girl from a photo or at least used a picture for inspiration? If he drew her from memory alone he must be a genius. 

Dave Steven's inspiration for his heroine in The Rocketeer was the late pinup model Bettie Page.

9 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

Dave Steven's inspiration for his heroine in The Rocketeer was the late pinup model Bettie Page.

Thanks BOM - just looked her up - I can see why!

Image result for bettie page

2 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

Surprised no one knew this

1 hour ago, Murphman13 said:

Scott Hampton

Batman Night Cries GN

IMG_2851.JPG

Scott Hampton was a huge Frazetta fan. His work evolved into a different style but he and Sandy Plunkett drew some of the BEST Frazettaesque stories Ive ever seen in Marvel's Solo Avengers.  Even better than Schultz or Stevens in my opinion... If I had a comic series Id like to see drawn by a team, it would be one with those two. I wouldnt even think twice about it...

Spoiler

091169f57a8019a083f6855bd854844a.jpg

Solo+Avengers+19-1.jpg

Solo+Avengers+19-14.jpg

Solo+Avengers+19-17.jpg

Solo+Avengers+19-18.jpg

Solo+Avengers+19-19.jpg

Solo+Avengers+19-21.jpg

Solo+Avengers+19-24.jpg

Edited by Aweandlorder

14 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Surprised no one knew this

Scott Hampton was a huge Frazetta fan. His work evolved into a different style but he and Sandy Plunkett drew some of the BEST Frazettaesque stories Ive ever seen in Marvel's Solo Avengers.  Even better than Schultz or Stevens in my opinion... If I had a comic series Id like to see drawn by a team, it would be one with those two. I wouldnt even think twice about it...

Hide contents

Solo+Avengers+19-14.jpg

Solo+Avengers+19-17.jpg

Solo+Avengers+19-18.jpg

Solo+Avengers+19-19.jpg

Solo+Avengers+19-21.jpg

Solo+Avengers+19-24.jpg

Those pages scream Frank Frazetta/Al Williamson

Edited by Murphman13

23 minutes ago, Murphman13 said:

Those pages scream Frank Frazetta/Al Williamson

Yup. What the fans usually dont understand is that producing such quality work as this, or Rocketeer, or Xenozoic tales, Takes alooooot of time. many weeks, sometimes months.

These artists... These geniuses... These gods among men (and women) come to our planet once every few decades and revolutionize the artform. They re-create the rules. And by doing so they push the envelope till the next big artist comes along.

Here, to me, is the last great book ever to be drawn by a master. That changed everything once again:

Spoiler

uncanny+x-men+annual+%239p0+published+sp

uncanny+x-men+annual+%239p3B.jpg

35_xmenannual9.png

10 hours ago, Bird said:

I love Kaluta's work...but I would be interested in what people feel is his peak work. One of my favorites by him is a Shadow Annual cover, here it is (new boards are so easy this way)

Try his 1970s Shadow (#1-4,6) for Kaluta's best Shadow work. Issue #6 is probably the peak in the run. I also vaguely remember reading #6 was an influence on Frank Miller's use of ninja in Daredevil. That series is my favorite Kaluta work and I think the best rendition of the character in comics. 

I will go with my favorites and it will mostly be Bronze Age : 

Jim Aparo -  Adventure Comics 431 - 440 :  Such an incredible short run of awesomeness

Neal Adams - Detective Comics 395:  For me, he will always be the definitive Batman artist

Mike Grell - Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes (I know his Warlord may get more votes, but I like the Superboy run)

George Perez - The New Teen Titans

Here's Liefeld's best work-extra points for drawing shield like a taco, making the bald woman's eye position medically imposible, the botched plastic surgery on Cap and Fury's lips, The eyepatch that Fury couldnt afford enough patch material to cover his whole socket area, and the fungal infection around Cap's neck:

liefeldbill18sd9.jpg

Edited by kav

On 3/25/2017 at 1:01 PM, Unca Ben said:

This topic is awesome.  :applause:

I just came upon this thread again. I am going to ask for some of these for my birthday and Christmas and since I rarely ask for specific items I should be good to go.

Maybe I can spur some more discussion.

Best Brian Bolland?

European artists...what Manara stands out? (Some guys are consistently great so maybe there isn't one.)

I bought a Sergio Toppi illustration last year and almost bought another recently...any sequential stories I should check out?

4 hours ago, Bird said:

I bought a Sergio Toppi illustration last year and almost bought another recently...any sequential stories I should check out?

I read this collection last year from the library.

Can't tell you if the stories are good or not as I don't recall but the art left a lasting impression -

sergio-toppi-the-collector1.jpg

Looks like Lion Forge is planning a collection of collected Toppi starting next year with 7 volumes planned.

Edited by Scrooge