• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Justified?

26 posts in this topic

Spectacular Spider-Man 1 CGC 9.8 OWW sold on March 17.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33819&item=2164481556&rd=1

Spectacular Spider-Man 1 CGC 9.8 W sold on March 16.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=17085&item=2163770769&rd=1

Is an improvement from OWW to W really worth $167.50??

Not for me. I love my books being white but there is so little difference (especially when you can only view the book's front and back cover in a slab) that any premium I would pay would be minimal. I suppose it gets back to the term 'label whores'.

It's more a case of the seller whose auction ended on Monday, St. Patrick's Day getting screwed because another Peter Parker #1 in CGC 9.8 ended the day before.

He should have checked to see if any other copies were currently on auction and waited until they ended before listing his. Plus it's generally not a good idea to have your auction end on a holiday, especially one that involves a lot of drinking. wink.gif

I wouldn't pay more for a White pager over an OW-W purely because the page whiteness is factored into the grade. Therefore the White paged book must suffer from an additional defect elsewhere.

(especially when you can only view the book's front and back cover in a slab)

Now THAT is right on the nose. Because one thing that gets my goat about CGC IS the unopenable slab. And who knows, after even 6 months in a too hot environment, how white thos epages are gonna be?

I will never understand how a company can factor in page whiteness for a grade without breaking their seal to actually VIEW the page whiteness. It is a catch-22 circular logic rotary trashcan and it REALLY ticks me off.

Actually what ticks me off more are the buyers who take this as gospel.

The ONLY way a CGCd book can truly maintain its grade is if CGC HELD THE BOOKS in a controlled environemnt. Instead the books are tossed back out into places that can literally hace + / - 100 degree Fahrenheit temperatures or more over a year. And we are expected to believe all is as it was? PAH.

The ONLY way a CGCd book can truly maintain its grade is if CGC HELD THE BOOKS in a controlled environemnt.

Very true.

All the more reason why CGC should be putting the grading date on the slab label so that the buyer knows how long the book has been in circulation/deterioration.

All the more reason why CGC should be putting the grading date on the slab label so that the buyer knows how long the book has been in circulation/deterioration.

I couldn't agree more if you staked me over pointed cluster bamboo!