• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Falling Sales
6 6

1,203 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, kav said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

That's funny - you made me re-read.  At first, I took drawers literally, and almost posted that I put a copy of X-Men down the backside of my drawers daily to soak up the X-creMent.  Or, comics were something you left in the drawers to keep them dark.  I see now he meant "artist".

I was able to decipher the drawers comment (barely) but am still baffled by "Problem these days with that is everyone can become a novelist or at the very least, blog themselves to fame. Why bother with comics when you can self promote through other mediums. "  Is he saying everyone can become a novelist?  Because I believe that is incorrect.  Is he saying it's better to self promote rather than be published by Marvel?  Because, also incorrect.  I really have no idea what he is trying to say and I never really understand to be honest.

I took it to mean you can either be a novelist, or blog on the internet, same difference with getting your thoughts out there to the world.

Edited by lizards2

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I took it to mean you can either be a novelist, or blog on the internet, same difference with getting your thoughts out there to the world.

In that case you seem to be a Metal whisperer of sorts and I will hit you up for future translations.

1 minute ago, kav said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

In that case you seem to be a Metal whisperer of sorts and I will hit you up for future translations.

I think I may do the same thing with a lot of my thought processes, which is why some boardies get me....,  and the rest think I'm a d-bag.

Edited by lizards2

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

I think I may do the same thing with a lot of my thought processes, which is why some boardies get me....,  and the rest think I'm a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed-bag.

well your thoughts seem to make sense and dont get all garbled up

2 minutes ago, kav said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I think I may do the same thing with a lot of my thought processes, which is why some boardies get me....,  and the rest think I'm a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed-bag.

well your thoughts seem to make sense and dont get all garbled up

You may need to lift your filters and not look for content that is not there?  I don't know - do you read Scott Adams blog on Dilbert?  I'm way more at ease since I started realizing that everyone is in their own movie, and I just need to relax and enjoy.  Of course, I retired 3/31, and have the luxury not to (hopefully) be such a frickin' mess anymore.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

You may need to lift your filters and not look for content that is not there?  I don't know - do you read Scott Adams blog on Dilbert?  I'm way more at ease since I started realizing that everyone is in their own movie, and I just need to relax and enjoy.  Of course, I retired 3/31, and have the luxury not to (hopefully) be such a frickin' mess anymore.

they really are in their own  movie mine is ghost world

Just now, kav said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

they really are in their own  movie mine is ghost world

A great movie / comic.  I watched Hairspray tonight and sucked my wife into it...., nice.

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

A great movie / comic.  I watched Hairspray tonight and sucked my wife into it...., nice.

now watch art school confidential

9 hours ago, zosocane said:

Looking at February 2017 (most recently published) sales data on Comichron, top 25 sales of comic books, Marvel has only six titles in the top 25, and of those six, two re Star Wars comics, so technically throw those out because those are licensed publishing.  The net result is that Marvel has 4 books in the top 25 with its own proprietary characters.  By contrast, DC has 18 books in the top 25.  

Disastrous.  Wonder what Stan Lee, Roy Thomas and Jim Shooter think of all this.

Disney owns Marvel. Disney owns Star Wars. So they do have 6 books in the top 25. 

9 hours ago, kav said:
9 hours ago, lizards2 said:

now watch art school confidential

I'll see if it is on Netflix...,

18 hours ago, kav said:

As usual I have no idea what you just said.

17 hours ago, lizards2 said:

That's funny - you made me re-read.  At first, I took drawers literally, and almost posted that I put a copy of X-Men down the backside of my drawers daily to soak up the X-creMent.  Or, comics were something you left in the drawers to keep them dark.  I see now he meant "artist".

"drawers"

ro4lulykmrexmy2shira.gif

Edited by Lucky Baru

Agreed Marvel publishing policy has for many years respected neither long term fans nor the source of creativity that maintains their essence.

there has been one exception: Jason Aarons recent work on Dr Strange. But of course he was swiftly removed from the title by corporate management suits. Gold medal arsseholes ....

On 4/4/2017 at 11:39 AM, StingerMcK said:

Good article on the real data behind the slump

http://www.cbr.com/no-diversity-didnt-kill-marvels-comic-sales/

Last week, David Gabriel, Marvel’s senior vice president of sales and market, stated in an interview with ICv2.com that retailers have told Marvel, “people didn’t want any more diversity. They didn’t want female characters out there. That’s what we heard, whether we believe that or not. I don’t know that that’s really true, but that’s what we saw in sales.”

And here's the problem.  Marvel is saying we don't want diversity, we don't want female characters.   We generally don't like our characters perverted and changed and Marvel doesn't seem to understand that and calls us sexist and racist.   Stay true to a character's roots, write interesting stories, and if you want diversity create new, interesting, diverse characters.  

Didn't they see what happened when Coke abandoned their original formula and created a new Coke?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

It is becoming  a common occurrence that a company pushing an agenda starts to lose loyal customers and losing market share. Disney of any parent company should be fully aware of this issue as they watch ESPN fall of the cliff, during a period where the sports network had overtly become more political.  To the point were planned layoffs are now occurring and profits have completely tanked. I have seen several articles recently that on air personalities are being released ( want to make a bet it will be the more controversial ones), and an edict has gone out to stay away from politics.

You can even see this in TV land, where over the years shows have been created with the main goal of pushing diversity.  How many of those are still on the air? Granted many popular show are much more diverse then they had been in the past, but generally the characters being pushed are a part of a much larger cast, and the focus is one good writing and stories. In this golden age of TV, strong stories are winning not an agenda.

Marvel needs to look to TV and relearn what works.

Imagine a show like the brady bunch doing something stupid like that.  Or the bob newhart show.  Or any of the shows of the past.  They knew better.   You don't mix politics and entertainment.

23 hours ago, lizards2 said:

It's freaking amazing how some people have the ability to understand the english language, and others need spoon feeding at THEIR convenience lol

Kav, just put me on ignore or stop toggling my posts. Really, just go away.