• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Falling Sales
6 6

1,203 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, MetalPSI™ said:
23 hours ago, lizards2 said:

That's funny - you made me re-read.  At first, I took drawers literally, and almost posted that I put a copy of X-Men down the backside of my drawers daily to soak up the X-creMent.  Or, comics were something you left in the drawers to keep them dark.  I see now he meant "artist".

It's freaking amazing how some people have the ability to understand the english language, and others need spoon feeding at THEIR convenience lol

Kav, just put me on ignore or stop toggling my posts. Really, just go away.

Did you come back to clean my drawers?  It's been a long day. :p

3 minutes ago, MetalPSI™ said:

It's freaking amazing how some people have the ability to understand the english language, and others need spoon feeding at THEIR convenience lol

Kav, just put me on ignore or stop toggling my posts. Really, just go away.

Funny how you wanna talk about me constantly but want me to shut up about you. lol

2 minutes ago, MetalPSI™ said:
3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Did you come back to clean my drawers?  It's been a long day. :p

:p I'm too busy to look after your needy butt

Oh well.  My Depends say they're good for up to 225 lbs.  Tomorrow, though? :shy:

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Funny how you wanna talk about me constantly but want me to shut up about you. lol

Funny how you are delusional and continuously want my attention and try to engage when clearly I despise your existence. Needy people are needy

Now are you going to sit there and argue how I am so freaking wrong, or are you going to leave me alone?

3 minutes ago, MetalPSI™ said:

Funny how you are delusional and continuously want my attention and try to engage when clearly I despise your existence. Needy people are needy

Now are you going to sit there and argue how I am so freaking wrong, or are you going to leave me alone?

You go first.

53 minutes ago, MetalPSI™ said:
53 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Oh well.  My Depends say they're good for up to 225 lbs.  Tomorrow, though? :shy:

Depends

Touche lol

25 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:
15 hours ago, kav said:

Imagine a show like the brady bunch doing something stupid like that.  Or the bob newhart show.  Or any of the shows of the past.  They knew better.   You don't mix politics and entertainment.

Was All in the Family the exception to that rule?

That show was very popular.  A lot of people dropped what they were doing every week to watch it.

13 hours ago, 01TheDude said:
14 hours ago, lizards2 said:

That seems like quite a lot of poop.

I'm a big boy now! :sumo:

33 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

That show was very popular.  A lot of people dropped what they were doing every week to watch it.

I think it has more to do with changing your product, and the quality of writing rather than being political.  If a show is written, advertised,  and expected to be political people have no issues with it.  The viewer going in knows exactly what they are getting, and if they do not want that, they have full knowledge to avoid it.

On the other hand, comics originally were not political, or were over the top all American and patriotic.   Those that had an underlying message were generally very subtle.  So again, the reader knew what they were getting and developed a certain level of expectation. Now Marvel goes and completely changes the game, taking something that was viewed as wholesome, innocent, and usually pro USA and in many cases flips it on its head.  It can be viewed as a drastic and abrupt change to traditional comics. So the reader (or at least long term readers) are no longer getting what they originally thought they were. That kind of change tends to push people away.

I don't think it's politics. In the 80's they had a black woman leading the X-Men and Northstar was gay. These were stories that naturally unfolded in their books. I'm guessing, the way click bait works, marvel gets some free internet press every time they do something with a minority character and they just put all their stock into that. But fans don't really care. And it doesn't bring in new readers.

Edited by HarrisonJohn

I would like to see them get back to just good, smack em around type superhero stories. There has to be a way to get back to the core of those types of stories that we enjoyed 20, 30, 40 etc years ago and still appeal to today's audience. However, to do stuff like that, they would have to want to do it (I don't believe they want that) and more importantly they would have to reign in the writers and editors. You'd have to get back to a Marvel house style and someone at the top controlling the beast, like Jim Shooter as an example. 
I don't believe we'll ever see that structure again though and I'm not even sure that model would be successful in 2017

Edited by Likefro

12 minutes ago, Likefro said:

I would like to see them get back to just good, smack em around type superhero stories. There has to be a way to get back to the core of those types of stories that we enjoyed 20, 30, 40 etc years ago and still appeal to today's audience. However, to do stuff like that, they would have to want to do it (I don't believe they want that) and more importantly they would have to reign in the writers and editors. You'd have to get back to a Marvel house style and someone at the top controlling the beast, like Jim Shooter as an example. 
I don't believe we'll ever see that structure again though and I'm not even sure that model would be successful in 2017

I don’t think it would be successful, since the majority of comic buyers are older and want modern, dark and/or complex “adult” stories now. Myself - if they still made those kinds of books I might even buy them. The closest thing we have to them today would be the various animated universes: Batman, The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, etc. Those are shows that I enjoy, my young son enjoys and my wife enjoys. People like Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, Man of Action and all the other writers and artists did an amazing job bringing old-style stories to life in the modern age; it’s too bad we can’t have comics in the same mold.

1 hour ago, Likefro said:

Well they are attempting to promote the X-Men relaunch as a back to basics approach with a modern twist. I am not holding my breath.  I also hate to admit it thought, that DC seems to have avoided much of this SJW stuff ( not completely) and are telling much more traditional comic stories. Granted it took countless relaunches, but it seems to be holding for now.  The market share for DC has also greatly improved proving that approach is working.

2 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

Was All in the Family the exception to that rule?

all in the family was like mad magazine-it poked fun at both sides.  Its actual 'messages' were more generic, treat people good, dont judge a book by the cover etc.