• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Are Your Deal Breakers in GA Books Defects?
1 1

63 posts in this topic

What Are Your Deal Breakers in GA Books Defects?

The thread on books that look better than their technical grade got me thinking about some of the defects in books that bother me the least (small piece of tape or glue, detached centerfold, etc.) and the ones that are deal breakers for me most of the time. PQ is something that I've gone harder on in the past year. I have 2 key type books that have light tan to off white pages and I don't regret buying either but I'm not sure if I'd do it again. I'm fine with the PQ should remain stable for now on both books but I probably won't go below cream to off white with any future purchases. So below are some of my "deal breakers" with regards to defects that just turn me off a purchase even if the book is otherwise solid looking. I'm sure there are more and many subjective areas like the difference between writing a name on the cover or a kid using it as a colouring book but here's some of my pains to look at.

1) Brittle pages (light tan to off white is my current lowest as mentioned and anything below cream to off white is unlikely in my future buys) brittle is getting to close to being gone for me. Deal breaker!

2) Pages missing. I really don't care what page it is, story or ad doesn't matter. The book is incomplete so it's a deal breaker no matter how nice the rest is.

3) Coupons cut out. Almost as bad as the above. Don't care if it's a ad or a Marvel value stamp. Deal breaker.

4) Soiling/staining. A soiled/stained book is like touching a dirty rag. It's ugly in most cases. I could add a * if it was really light but usually a soiled book isn't pretty. So deal breaker most of the time.

5) Pieces missing. Also a mixed if it's a really tiny piece and not damaging a key cover element but usually anything beyond very small I'll pass on. Large ones are just painful to see.

6) Dust shadows. If it's very minor, maybe. Most of the time I have to say no if it's pronounced enough on the covers. I've seen some beautiful looking books that take my eyes away from them due to strong dust shadows. Deal breaker most of the time.

7) Foxing. Bought several over the years but unless it's a bargain and not to bad I usually pass. At least it's a defect that isn't "harmful" to the book other than its looks. Foxing like heavy tanning on a cover is just sad to see.

8) Rusty staples. Others may disagree but I'm more comfortable owing a book with light tan to off white pages with good staples than a off white to white book with rusty staples. My feeling is I can still "slow" a PQ at this level from getting worse but I can't say the same with rusty staples. Rust as they say never sleeps and it's just a matter of time before it gets into the paper.

So those are some of my "deal breakers" with defects.

Anyone else have their pet peeves that they avoid on GA books?

Edited by N e r V

18 minutes ago, jpepx78 said:

I don't care how big a key book it is but missing a chunk is a deal breaker.

image.jpeg

I'll bite (no pun intended). Is this real? Or a photoshopped faux response? It would've taken a very prescient rodent saboteur - and heartless at that - to craft such a legacy...

14 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

I'll bite (no pun intended). Is this real? Or a photoshopped faux response? It would've taken a very prescient rodent saboteur - and heartless at that - to craft such a legacy...

Real book that somehow was saved by someone.

Somehow this key book was saved too. Missing big pieces or pages are deal breakers for me but missing small pieces or chips are sometimes ok.

image.jpeg

Brittle pages (or "interior lightened" for restored) is a definite no-go. Heavy dust shadows on the front cover is just too distracting, so that's a no-buy too.

I think trimming should be at or near the top of the no-buy list. Spine rolls should be listed too, but I find them tolerable for lower grade books.

Some folk are really big on spine splits, so I'd list that also.

Being a "Larson guy", foxing and maybe a little staple rust is tolerable.

A loose centerfold doesn't bother me much, but other pages being loose is a big turn off.

Missing back cover is tolerable... at the right price.

Everything else are just defects that should be taken account into the grade, so it just depends.

Edited by sacentaur

I'd say brittle pages, rat chews, mold and severe water damage. I have books with all the defects listed so far and can live with them for the right price. But those are just deal killers for me.

I just bought a nice looking copy of a book I've wanted for a long time that had an ad page out. All stories complete. The page missing is one that I would hardly even look at anyway.

Many years ago I bought a large collection of beautiful GA books that were all 3 hole punched. A lot of people thought I was crazy but they were such cool books in amazing shape and very cheap that I just couldn't pass.

A little foxing is ok, but actual mold is a deal breaker.  I don't want to feel I need to wear disposable plastic gloves when reading a book.

Truly brittle pages is also a deal breaker.  I can deal with some flaking at the top of the spine, but if I feel I can't open a book without damaging it, I'll pass on it.

I can deal with a bit of rust on a staple, but not noticeable rust migration to the paper.

If the price is right, I'll take small pieces missing from the front or (better!) the back cover, trimming, or a clipped coupon. 

15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

A little foxing is ok, but actual mold is a deal breaker.  I don't want to feel I need to wear disposable plastic gloves when reading a book.

Truly brittle pages is also a deal breaker.  I can deal with some flaking at the top of the spine, but if I feel I can't open a book without damaging it, I'll pass on it.

I can deal with a bit of rust on a staple, but not noticeable rust migration to the paper.

If the price is right, I'll take small pieces missing from the front or (better!) the back cover, trimming, or a clipped coupon. 

Exact same. Also, going along with the mold, a book that has odor that makes me wheeze for the next 24 hours. 

There are many things which can and do make a book less desirable or a "turn off", however, if it is a book I really want then there is only ONE thing that is a "deal breaker"; an excessive price tag!

All the other defects (although not desirable) can be acceptable if the price is right on a "must have" book.  Perhaps the opportunity to upgrade will present itself at a later time, but for right now, if it is a "must have" then a reasonable price tag can hide a multitude of defects.

For example, if anyone out there has an Action 1 or Suspense 3 with too many defects for them to enjoy, then just send me a PM.

10 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Personally not a fan but if it is on the interior and just a little bit, it's fine.  I dislike tape when it is sealing up both covers together or unnecessary tape piece on pages and the cover.

This copy has some. Not a deal breaker for me since the cover looks the same if was a colour break. Other opinions can vary though...

f27165126f99ccb05b51ba531703bfd75dbd908b