• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Age Pedigree?

39 posts in this topic

These are all very interesting opinions. What are all the names of the pedigrees that have books in the BA? I must confess that I am very uneducated about pedigrees. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looking like :

Pacific Coast (at least 1977)

Ohio (1973)

Diamond Run (at least 1979)

Boston (early 70s)

Oakland (approx 1974)

Mile High II (early 80s?)

Western Penn (1980ish)

Winnipeg (mid 90s)

Bowling Green (at least 1972)

Northland (at least 1970)

Mass (at least 1976)

Winnipeg technically goes up to 1996 I think, though CGC has a cutoff date as to what books they will no longer indicated as pedigreed on the slab. Not sure what the cutoff is. I have a Winnipeg Spidey 245 that has it on the slab.

Curious if anyone can help narrow down the years better than I did above.

The Oakland collection (when it was offered publicly) spanned from approximately 1966 to 1974. Not sure if there were any early SA books, but I've never seen or heard of anything before 1966.

Also, you're not going to see many more BA collections classified as Pedigrees in the future, whereas the HG BA census will continue to grow...fueled by non-Pedigree books.

Exactly...HG Bronze is much too common for significant pedigrees to appear. Anyone can get a exceptional HG Bronze copy. As a result, there's no need to hunt down or covet pedigrees.

And this situation will not get any better with time. If anything, it will further illustrate the availability of HG Bronze in the hobby...

Jim

This has been a nice thread to keep a tab on. I've been able to agree with practically everything that has been said here. This is possible because the differing views don't seem that far apart when things are broken down. The analogies are fun to ponder and even if things don't make 100% perfect sense, everyone has been very civil. As I stated earlier, I understood the car analogy and I'll have to keep thinking about it.

As far as SFILOSA's statement about the reprint vs the original, I see that as well. But I'm assuming the analogy of cars were made on the same day, same assemblyline, same mechanical engineers, same oil, etc... whereas a reprint would be a later run. But hey these are great thoughts. The boards needed this quite frankly. Everyone deserves a thumbs up. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Ohio (1973)

Boston (early 70s)

Oakland (approx 1974)

Western Penn (1980ish)

Winnipeg (mid 90s)

Mass (at least 1976)

Winnipeg technically goes up to 1996 I think, though CGC has a cutoff date as to what books they will no longer indicated as pedigreed on the slab. Not sure what the cutoff is. I have a Winnipeg Spidey 245 that has it on the slab.

By the way DKB, thanks for the list. Now I have a scorecard. (Deep down I'm still new at a lot of this stuff) cool.gif

Also, you're not going to see many more BA collections classified as Pedigrees in the future, whereas the HG BA census will continue to grow...fueled by non-Pedigree books.

Exactly...HG Bronze is much too common for significant pedigrees to appear. Anyone can get a exceptional HG Bronze copy. As a result, there's no need to hunt down or covet pedigrees.

And this situation will not get any better with time. If anything, it will further illustrate the availability of HG Bronze in the hobby...

Jim

Jim,

Great news! Can you sell me a high grade HOM 174 and Unexpected 118 then? I'm sure you can find one easily... tonofbricks.gif

Great news! Can you sell me a high grade HOM 174 and Unexpected 118 then? I'm sure you can find one easily... tonofbricks.gif

Your request really doesn't have anything to do with the pedigree discussion but...

Find your own! tongue.gif

Jim

Looking like :

Ohio (1973)

Boston (early 70s)

Oakland (approx 1974)

Western Penn (1980ish)

Winnipeg (mid 90s)

Mass (at least 1976)

Do people generally consider the Monterey Collection to be a recognized pedigree?

Is it Bronze only?

I got a bunch of 1974-1976 books from this collection and as far as flawless condition goes

it is hard to beat! cloud9.gif]

Looking like :

Ohio (1973)

Boston (early 70s)

Oakland (approx 1974)

Western Penn (1980ish)

Winnipeg (mid 90s)

Mass (at least 1976)

Do people generally consider the Monterey Collection to be a recognized pedigree?

Is it Bronze only?

I got a bunch of 1974-1976 books from this collection and as far as flawless condition goes

What sets do you have from the Monterey collection?

Not sure what the cutoff is. I have a Winnipeg Spidey 245 that has it on the slab.

i've seen a spidey 300 with a pedigree designation. i can't recall which pedigree it was - but my first inclination is that it was western penn.

Jim

Hi Jim.

I appreciate hearing your view on this topic however let me pose this question in regard to your comments.

You say that "HG Bronze is much to common for pedigrees to appear" & "Anyone can get a exceptional HG Bronze copy".

To a point I agree with you. High grade Bronze may well become more available in the short term. What then does someone do if that want that little bit extra.

Is it possible that more & more people may think "Well everyone owns a 9.4 or 9.6 copy of *Insert comic name here*. & I want something more. What about a pedigree version??? Only one or two people will ever own one of those"

You just have to look on a site such as GPAnalysis. Pick a common Bronze age book and if you are lucky enough to own a Pedigree version you will probably get a grade line all to yourself.

eg:

Giant Size X-Men #1 CGC 9.6 37 sales recorded since 2002 on GPAnalysis

Giant Size X-Men #1 CGC 9.6 1 Pacific Coast Pedigree copy recorded to Date

At the end of the day it is the same comic as the other 97 copies of CGC 9.6 that have been graded but it is unique that it is probably one of the only copies of this book to wear the Pedigree badge.

This alone makes it slightly unique and using the supply/demand logic also makes it far more collectable.

Hey, I may be wrong but I will be happy to continue Pedigree hunting in the future. I guess we will see what happens with a Bronze Pedigree comics value & desirability compared with its non Pedigree equivilent in about 10-20 years time.

How about that... in 20 years a bronze age book will be up to 55 years old. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We may well be having the same discusion about what will happen to the value of Modern Pedigree Vs Non Pedigree comics then.

Until then, All the Best.

Aussie Russ...

What sets do you have from the Monterey collection?

No complete sets, I have about 10 World's Finests in the 225-245 range plus a few

Actions and Superboy/Legion issues. All appear perfect in every way, flawless page quality.

I begged for a chance at other runs but I guess they had already been sold as I never heard

back. frown.gif

Saw that Northland Cap Annual on Pedigree, surpised that collection goes so far.

Ohio (1973)

Boston (early 70s)

Oakland (approx 1974)

Western Penn (1980ish)

Winnipeg (mid 90s)

Northland (at least 1975)

Mass (at least 1976)

Is it possible that more & more people may think "Well everyone owns a 9.4 or 9.6 copy of *Insert comic name here*. & I want something more. What about a pedigree version??? Only one or two people will ever own one of those"

Maybe...but I don't think Bronze collectors ever get to that point in their collecting. There are so many HG Bronze comics available, the pedigrees don't hold much weight with the collector, regardless of their status. Pedigrees in general usually represent the best copies in their particular eras. Eras that don't produce many exceptional copies. That's the reason they are so coveted. Bronze doesn't have this problem. HG copies are plentiful and copies can be found in better condition than the pedigrees already identified. There no reason to pay a premium for the pedigree when you can get the same or better condition cheaper.

Some collectors point to the backstory of pedigrees as part of their allure. Again, this is relevant when talking about comics where relatively few copies were kept HG through the years. The accomplishment is as much a part of the appeal than the comic itself in some respects. Can't say the same for Bronze where comics were identified as collectibles early and survived the years in newsstand condition as a result...

Jim

Are you saying I made you think??? yay.gifpoke2.gif

I still say my "Mica Pedigree" Devil Dinosaurs are one day going to be famously talked about on these boards 20 years from now. Of course I have to go around America, Canada, England and whereever else they are (I suppose Australia) and damage everyone elses run first. angel.gif

Don't worry about coming to OZ as we don't have any and we don't want to see yours......now if you have any Church books.....well come on over. thumbsup2.gif

Are you saying I made you think??? yay.gifpoke2.gif

I still say my "Mica Pedigree" Devil Dinosaurs are one day going to be famously talked about on these boards 20 years from now. Of course I have to go around America, Canada, England and whereever else they are (I suppose Australia) and damage everyone elses run first. angel.gif

Don't worry about coming to OZ as we don't have any and we don't want to see yours......now if you have any Church books.....well come on over. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Mushroom. thumbsup2.gif

Keep up the act. gossip.gif We can never let out the secret that all the Aussie collectors are secretly removing all Pedigree comics from the U.S.A. and transporting them to Aus.. insane.gif

Just a pity about the postage cost involved foreheadslap.gif