• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask CGC Q got deleted with no answer?

36 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, JWKyle said:

I asked awhile back and saved the e-mail. Hope this helps

Thank you for your email. Our cases are made of archival plastic and the inner well is PETG plastic. Micro chamber paper is used, none of our encapsulations are air/water tight. You can reholder your books whenever you choose to do so. Reholder service is not required and your book is safe the entire time it is encapsulated. The micro-chamber paper has been approved by the Library of Congress for the preservation of paper.

Thank you, kind sir!(thumbsu

There is a reason why turnaround times are fast and it's because these types of requests would take up too much time, if possible to do. CGC is in the US. There is no reason to use another country's spelling.

11 hours ago, Philflound said:

There is a reason why turnaround times are fast and it's because these types of requests would take up too much time, if possible to do. CGC is in the US. There is no reason to use another country's spelling.

I can see the turn around time aspect, but as far as the company being in the US being the only justification for spelling, hear this: When Ford and GM sell vehicles in Canada they adjust their spelling on all materials. When Campbells soup sells soup in Canada, they adjust their spelling. When Johnsonville sausage sells sausage in Canada they adjust their spelling. CGC has customers from other countries, would it be unreasonable to cater to them by simply hitting one extra key on the keyboard? It's not like I'm asking them to re-invent the label, it is one additional keystroke. After that, they simply have to hit save and it is there forever. 

Secondly, to simply say, 'there is no reason to use another country's spelling, because CGC is in the US' is rather closed minded and ethnocentric don't you think? 

Let me ask you this Phil, what if you sent in a book, it comes back, but on the label they have spelt armour- armir- and every time you pulled that slab out and looked at it BAM. It would bother you, right?

If it was a book I intended to sell, I wouldn't even have asked the question, but this would be for a book in my core collection that I am taking to the grave. Don't forget I am the one paying for the service. 

I realise that I may have ruffled some feathers, which was not my intention, I simply wanted an answer from CGC, so that I can have a perfect collection the way I want - the goal of everyone here- Nothing nasty about it. 

@Patriot6

I don't think that you've ruffled feathers and you bring up interesting points of other company's that change spelling. Remember we are not CGC and we really have no idea lol 

CGC probably has a short and concise way of answering your question, I don't know that it goes against CGC's code or description of service. We can only think up reasons, but I know that I don't think that they would :( to try and answer the question of why? I would be at a loss 9_9

3 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

I can see the turn around time aspect, but as far as the company being in the US being the only justification for spelling, hear this: When Ford and GM sell vehicles in Canada they adjust their spelling on all materials. When Campbells soup sells soup in Canada, they adjust their spelling. When Johnsonville sausage sells sausage in Canada they adjust their spelling. CGC has customers from other countries, would it be unreasonable to cater to them by simply hitting one extra key on the keyboard? It's not like I'm asking them to re-invent the label, it is one additional keystroke. After that, they simply have to hit save and it is there forever. 

Secondly, to simply say, 'there is no reason to use another country's spelling, because CGC is in the US' is rather closed minded and ethnocentric don't you think? 

Let me ask you this Phil, what if you sent in a book, it comes back, but on the label they have spelt armour- armir- and every time you pulled that slab out and looked at it BAM. It would bother you, right?

If it was a book I intended to sell, I wouldn't even have asked the question, but this would be for a book in my core collection that I am taking to the grave. Don't forget I am the one paying for the service. 

I realise that I may have ruffled some feathers, which was not my intention, I simply wanted an answer from CGC, so that I can have a perfect collection the way I want - the goal of everyone here- Nothing nasty about it. 

I don't think it's just a matter of one keystroke and hitting save. The label information for each books lives in a database. When copies of that book are encapsulated, the appropriate label for that book is printed and encapsulated along with it. If you want the word "armor" to read "armour," I don't think CGC can do it without altering the text on all future graded copies of that book. And since CGC is a U.S. company, and most of it's business comes from U.S. customers, I don't think they'd be willing to change the spelling and have 90% of its customers view the updated spelling as an "error."

On 4/14/2017 at 6:24 PM, nepatkm said:

Nothing really to get, was just a funny/ silly post to me.

yeah, see, the joke is that since they zapped your thread, it must be something they're trying to keep hushed up, and by bringing it up again you're putting yourself and all of us in danger...look, I never said I was hilarious, but these jokes are free, so you get what you pay for, folks!

On 4/14/2017 at 1:13 PM, Patriot6 said:

Ask CGC Q got deleted with no answer?

I posted a Q in the 'ask CGC' forum and it was pending approval for over a week and then just got deleted?

Maybe someone else has asked this question before:

I want to know if it is possible to have a CGC label written in Canadian/British English.

For example, if one slabs a TOS 40, the label will read 'first appearance of gold armor' and I would like it to read 'first appearance of gold armour.'

Is this possible? 

Hi Patriot6!

The information for each label (writers, artists, key comments, etc.), including how words are spelled, are stored in our database so that they don't have to retyped from scratch for every book. To go into the system and change a certain word's spelling, then print the label, and then go into the system and revert words back to the previous spelling, would be far too time consuming to do by request.  We would essentially be creating a custom label every time.

14 minutes ago, Bree said:
Hi Patriot6!

The information for each label (writers, artists, key comments, etc.), including how words are spelled, are stored in our database so that they don't have to retyped from scratch for every book. To go into the system and change a certain word's spelling, then print the label, and then go into the system and revert words back to the previous spelling, would be far too time consuming to do by request.  We would essentially be creating a custom label every time.

Alright, thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Now I know that there is nothing I can do about it, so I'll just have to accept it. Case closed.